Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 03:04:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: just bought another bus...Now with Pix!  (Read 2646 times)
86neoplan

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2006, 07:56:41 PM »

Well, I decided that "bigger is better" and picked up another bus...

I dont know too much about the manufactuer, other than they still exist.

its a 1991 New Flyer D40S.  It is a suburban type bus with no rear door, a 6V92TA rated at 300 hp, and has a voith 4 speed tranny.

it is full of power, and dont smoke and shifts smooth.

It has real nice coach type seats in it, which i have to figure out what to do with...

I think this will work better, and the GF wants the neoplan for a mobile office...so everyones happy

any opinions on this bus or the company?

thanks

shawn

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:30:16 PM by 86neoplan » Logged

Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...
86neoplan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 08:31:42 AM »

wow, no ideas? maybe i should re-think this....

shawn

Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...
coachcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 08:48:33 AM »

i dont know enough about buses yet and never heard of that MFG. but i looked and found some pics of the bus in question and i think it would make a good looking coach.
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 11:10:54 AM »

I've never heard of it.  Can you get parts?  The reason I stick with MCi is because parts are cheap and just a phone call away from a vaiety of sources.
86neoplan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 04:29:10 PM »

well, I did some research and find that new flyer is a reputable company. Lots of systems here use them, including septa, cleveland RTA, and many others.

also, it turns out that all the windows on the coach, with the exception of the door and drivers window are the exact same as a MC9.

also, I do not believe parts will be hard to find.

Here are some pix...

Basically a cheap mans MCI...lol

shawn

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »

Shawn,

I am SURE you will have no problem filling up that extra 14'. Grin

Congrats on your 2nd bus.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
belfert

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »

Did you buy that thing off Ebay?  I recognize it as for sale on Ebay.

New Flyer is a fairly popular transit bus, but a lot of converters do highway coaches and 1991 is fairly new for most converters.  That is probably why not much response.

Brian Elfert
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 04:55:51 PM »

WOW! A Barney Bus!  Same color as my engine! Very cool. 
That coach will make a much better conversion than the little Neoplan!
Good luck, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
86neoplan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 05:12:32 PM »

yeah, it was ebay, but a little negeotiating with the owners (just out of revenue service) and a deal was struck.

what i like is it is highway geared already, and will do 75 with no problem...I know that first hand... Grin

not that i would ever do that, but nice to know i dont have to change anything...except figure out what to do with all the seats...lol

shawn
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 05:14:55 PM by 86neoplan » Logged

Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 05:43:27 PM »

Well, I decided that "bigger is better" and picked up another bus...

I dont know too much about the manufactuer, other than they still exist.

its a 1991 New Flyer D40S.  It is a suburban type bus with no rear door, a 6V92TA rated at 300 hp, and has a voith 4 speed tranny.

it is full of power, and dont smoke and shifts smooth.

It has real nice coach type seats in it, which i have to figure out what to do with...

I think this will work better, and the GF wants the neoplan for a mobile office...so everyones happy

any opinions on this bus or the company?

thanks

shawn

Now you have a real bus.. That other one was a toy compared to the New Flyer.. Great !!!

New Flyer is a good choice as there are many out there. They are related to the Western Flyers and Canadian New Flyers
the D40S is a nice base to build on for the money and no need to worry about a V-Drive system.

The class of these is in with the Suburban versions of the Orions and Gilligs which are far and few between and
were used as commuter and airport transports for longer runs.

Shawn, If you find one be sure to get an extra transmission since the voith is one expensive beast to have or even get repaired....

Good Luck, Looks like you have a winner there....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
kamaro

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 05:50:04 PM »

Congratulations! Great bus! Now we won't be the only ones on the Board with a Western Flyer. Ours is a 1968 Canuck 600, made by Western Flyer, now New Flyer. 
kamaro
(Mario Ross-Montreal)
Dallas

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 05:59:21 PM »

WOW! A Barney Bus!  Same color as my engine! Very cool. 
That coach will make a much better conversion than the little Neoplan!
Good luck, JR

JR,
I thought the little Neoplan was cool!
It'd make a great weekender for someone

Dallas
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 06:52:12 PM »

Hi Dallas,
Yeah, the little Neo was "cute"...but compares similar to a Honda Civic vs a Magnum Wagon!  I think the Flyer will make a nice conversion.   If that Voith takes a crap, forget it and install an Allison.  An HT 748 won't shift as smooth, but it is affordable, very durable and will work well with the DDEC V92 format.  That Neo would have been overloaded with just water tanks.    Holding tanks are the key to any "real" conversion.  No capacity, no cojones.   
I view my conversion as a 40' Port-O-Jon.  With my habits (and age), all I really need is a cold fridge and pottie access.  Life is good!  Cheesy
Best, JR   

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Dallas

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 07:05:04 PM »

JR,

I was really thinking of the NeoPlan as a 'weekender'.
a conversion someone could take to the local campground or to the beach for couple of days.
Like you, I find myself needing a bigger fridge and a larger set of holding tanks. 12 cu ft just isn't enough fridge space!
Cat's starting to get upset about my moving stuff onto the counter out of the fridge so I can keep an extra 24 or 48 "Nectars of the Gods".
I don't think warm mayo or day old hamburger will hurt her will it? After all, They use to lay buffalo strips out on the rocks in the sun!

Dallas
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 07:33:24 PM »

Cat's starting to get upset about my moving stuff onto the counter out of the fridge so I can keep an extra 24 or 48 "Nectars of the Gods".
I don't think warm mayo or day old hamburger will hurt her will it? After all, They use to lay buffalo strips out on the rocks in the sun!Dallas

Well, for sure the hamburger is OK on the counter for a day or two.  I mean, the "Nector" must stay at the proper temp or be tossed.  Mayo...maybe a couple days too.   Shouldn't be any problem...I leave hamburger out for several days and no problem.   Let me know how it works out. 
Back to busing (so as to avoid the "lame and inane" posts label) the little NEO would have had to have an umbilicus (ergo, baby [fetal] bus) where ever it went.   Just no room inside, and no basement space.  That would have been a killer.  The Neo would have been equivalent to a class "B" camper.   Albeit a large Class "B"... a mobile office is a fitting application for the baby bus.  Another thing...how big a fridge could one install in the baby Neo?   That's a killer right there.   No way that NEO would make it thru a serious weekend bus bash. 
BTW, let me know how Cat does on the unrefridgerated hamburger and Mayo.  I strongly recommend maintaining clear access to the pottie....just in case this don't work out...you know.
Cheers, JR   Dietary Advisor

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
wvanative

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 08:02:44 PM »

Shawn Email me I am interested in your little Neoplan.
dean.hamilton@mchsi.com

Wvanative

Dean Hamilton Villa Grove, IL East Central IL. Near Champaign
Still Dreaming and planning
Dallas

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 03:37:10 AM »

I don't think warm mayo or day old hamburger will hurt her will it? After all, They use to lay buffalo strips out on the rocks in the sun!Dallas

Well, for sure the hamburger is OK on the counter for a day or two.  I mean, the "Nector" must stay at the proper temp or be tossed.  Mayo...maybe a couple days too.   Shouldn't be any problem...I leave hamburger out for several days and no problem.   Let me know how it works out. 
Back to busing (so as to avoid the "lame and inane" posts label) the little NEO would have had to have an umbilicus (ergo, baby [fetal] bus) where ever it went.   Just no room inside, and no basement space.  That would have been a killer.  The Neo would have been equivalent to a class "B" camper.   Albeit a large Class "B"... a mobile office is a fitting application for the baby bus.  Another thing...how big a fridge could one install in the baby Neo?   That's a killer right there.   No way that NEO would make it thru a serious weekend bus bash. 
BTW, let me know how Cat does on the unrefridgerated hamburger and Mayo.  I strongly recommend maintaining clear access to the pottie....just in case this don't work out...you know.
Cheers, JR   Dietary Advisor

JR,
Cat just came up with the perfect solution:
Insulate the little NEO and add 4 roof airs with  an extra room built on the back for a 25KW genney, then use the Neo as a refrigerator by itself!
After enough bottles or cans, it won't matter where you sleep, just add an awning off to the side and get the spare room option.
A gallon jug ought to take care of the sanitary requirements and your all set for a real weekend bus bash!

Dallas
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: