Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 10:16:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help!  (Read 3791 times)
Ace

« on: June 11, 2006, 08:17:37 PM »

Ok I found a few of these little plastic pieces but not enough to do what I want. I have looked everywhere for more but can't seem tofind them. The guy I got them from doesn't want to disclose any source of information and he doesn't want to sell me any of them. He converts busses and at the moment is converting a semi trailer which was actually an old race car trailer for a National Champion woman in rodeo. The trailer has two or three slide outs and is pretty impressive but back to my needs! These pieces are used to do ceilings and or wall panels. They don't show and you don't need to use those upholstered buttons. They hold very tight and the panels they are installed in can be removed and replaced. I have about 50 of them but need about 100 more. Does anyone recognice these and know where to get them. The short end is 1/2 inch where as the long end is 1 inch. Not sure if they come different lengths or not but this size will work fine for what I want them for!

Thanks and sorry for the bad pics!

Ace
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 08:21:32 PM »

Ace, Check at Lowes or HD in the specialty fastener area. They have lots of stuff usually.
Good Luck,
Dallas
Ace

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 08:22:40 PM »

forgot to mention, I checked EVERYWHERE local!

Ace
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 08:29:33 PM »

ACE,

I baught something like them about a year ago at PEP BOY'S

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 08:40:16 PM »

Ace,
Check with a local body shop and ask them if they have a fastener catalog, I have friend who runs a body shop restoring 60's & 70's muscle cars. One day I was at his shop and saw some linkage clips just like what my Setra uses on the compartment doors, I asked him where he got them and he handed me a book about 2" thick full of different types of fasteners. I ended up ordering like 100 of them shipped to my door for less than Setra was going to charge me for 3 of them! (I need to replace 3-4 more, if I could only remember where I put them so they wouldn't get lost!) BK
Cheesy Grin Cool We gonna have a West TN Bus Party!  Roll Eyes Wink We gonna have a Party! Roll Eyes Cool Shocked Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 09:04:47 PM »

http://www.kinter.com/nylon_f.htm

Click on "DOUBLE END X-MAS TREE FASTENERS".  Not exactly what you have in the photo, but close.

Here's another source for about the same thing.

http://www.itw-fastex.com/catalog/015.php
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 10:33:42 PM »

Ace - I bet if you contacted VIP @ 800-844-8024 - you can prob Email them pics and they can locate them for you if they don't already manufacture something similar - they man. and distribute a lot of plastic fasteners - and their located in beautiful FLIPPIN, Arkansas (no-really)

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 07:01:46 AM »

Ace:

I don't know if the color matters to you or not, but I did find the following at:

http://www.safco.org/products.php?pID=326&catID=3

$11.88 for a box of 25 pieces.  They have lots of other items, if this particular one doesn't fit the bill.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Ace

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 11:42:46 AM »

Thanks guys! I found them here locally. Well actually a company here found them for me from a distributor in Orlando and WEC the price is about right as I paid 40 bucks for 100 of them. The upholstery shop I went thru never seen them before! I should have them wed afternoon.

Thanks again...

Now if I could only find the vinyl I want for the ceiling panels... at a good price! Smiley

Ace
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 01:24:13 PM »

Ace,

I am familiar with this type of fastner and am curious how you are to attach them to the panel?

I have seen this fastner used on something with a hollow back, but not on say paneling with a cover.

The ones I have seen on panels have a flat attachment point.

I havn't done my ceiling yet and would appreciate hearing about your idea.

Thanks

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Ace

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 01:39:13 PM »

Cliff the way I'm planning on doing it is like this.

First I'll (already did the br) put up  what I call a sub ceiling of 3/8 plywood. Then I'm going to take another 3/8 ply (the finish ply) which will be used as a panel and temp screw it to the sub ply so it doesn't move. The finish ply will then be pre drilled while screwed to the sub ply using a bit that is smaller than the fastener. Once I determine where I want the fasteners and how many on each finish ply, I will remove the temp screws and drop the finish ply making sure of which direction it will go. I will then cover one side with a light weight pad and over the pad I will cover it with vinyl going over all edges and securing on the back side with contact and or staples. I am trying for a design with optical curves. You can heat the vinyl while upholstering the finish ply to get a glove fit so to speak. Once covered with vinyl, I will  insert the short end of the fasteners. Once those are inserted, I can go back and insert the long end into the sub ply's pre drilled holes. This will allow the panels to held very securely in place without having the unsightly buttons,r screws, and wooden seam trim. The panels won't be large panels, maybe 2x3 or 2x4 depending on the final design. The panels will also be able to be removed and replace at will without doing any danger to the vinyl or ceiling. No messy glue, no staples, and hopefully no trim will be needed on finish side!

I tried one piece of ply against the other using these fasteners and trust me they hold pretty damn well. I had to REALLY pull down on it to get it off the sub ply!

Wish me luck! Smiley

Ace
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 02:37:28 PM »

The luxury yacht market utilizes a heavy duty Velcro to attach their ceiling panels. No holes to drill and no precision fitting of connectors. Works great as they have to have access to between decks.
Richard

Cliff the way I'm planning on doing it is like this.

First I'll (already did the br) put up  what I call a sub ceiling of 3/8 plywood. Then I'm going to take another 3/8 ply (the finish ply) which will be used as a panel and temp screw it to the sub ply so it doesn't move. The finish ply will then be pre drilled while screwed to the sub ply using a bit that is smaller than the fastener. Once I determine where I want the fasteners and how many on each finish ply, I will remove the temp screws and drop the finish ply making sure of which direction it will go. I will then cover one side with a light weight pad and over the pad I will cover it with vinyl going over all edges and securing on the back side with contact and or staples. I am trying for a design with optical curves. You can heat the vinyl while upholstering the finish ply to get a glove fit so to speak. Once covered with vinyl, I will  insert the short end of the fasteners. Once those are inserted, I can go back and insert the long end into the sub ply's pre drilled holes. This will allow the panels to held very securely in place without having the unsightly buttons,r screws, and wooden seam trim. The panels won't be large panels, maybe 2x3 or 2x4 depending on the final design. The panels will also be able to be removed and replace at will without doing any danger to the vinyl or ceiling. No messy glue, no staples, and hopefully no trim will be needed on finish side!

I tried one piece of ply against the other using these fasteners and trust me they hold pretty damn well. I had to REALLY pull down on it to get it off the sub ply!

Wish me luck! Smiley

Ace

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Ace

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 02:58:54 PM »

Richard I researched the velcro stuff but never could find anything strong enough so I gave up on that idea. I would have preferred the velcro since it would have been easier but you do what you do with what you got.

Ace
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »

I really do not know if the trade name is Velcro for the stuff they use. It has been discussed on one of the boards in the recent past.
It is not hooks and loops like Velcro. It is little plastic pinheads that lock in between other pinheads. Hard to explain.

Richard I researched the velcro stuff but never could find anything strong enough so I gave up on that idea. I would have preferred the velcro since it would have been easier but you do what you do with what you got.

Ace

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 03:23:53 PM »

Ace,

The velcro you are thinking about is called DUEL-LOCK by 3M.

I used about 100 ft. on my ceiling panels. 1/4" luan board, then 1/4" foam, then Ultra Suede.

Works great, 9 mo's and no panels have fallen yet!
I baught mine through WYTEK, only because I had a large order at the time.

Here is the link---http://www3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/manufacturing_industry/engineered_adhesives/node_GSCHJ8BM1Ybe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_WHG0MWH6QPge/gvel_QM7L6GDVFXgl/theme_us_adhesivetape_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Nick
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 03:30:00 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: