Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 03:59:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book on highway heights restrictions, general road conditions, etc. for busses  (Read 852 times)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2006, 09:15:48 PM »

Is there a publication out there that gives a person roads not suitable for a bus to travel?

Thanks,
Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 09:21:07 PM »

Rand McNalley has a commercial truck road atlas that gives too low bridge heights, restricted road routes, and weight requirements.  But all for commercial trucks.  If a truck can make it, you can.  As long as the road is at least a solid line and not a broken dotted line for an off road type highway, you should be alright.  There are times that there are roads that have length restrictions even for RV's.  If not listed in the atlas, and you have a question about the route, a quick call to the Highway Patrol should do the trick (their phone numbers are also listed in the atlas).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
NCbob

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 04:03:07 AM »

There's one bridge over in TN just west of Chattanooga where you turn off I-24 onto southbound 72 near S Pittsburg, TN.
that drives me nuts!  No height is posted.  But there's a bar over the road with a bunch of PVC 'thingies' hanging down and the sign says, "These trucks can clear the underpass" or words to that effect. No height posted!

Would that be a heckuva note to come off I-24 with a bus and a toad and suddenly you hear what sounds like 6 skeletons fornicating on a tin roof and you can't back up or turn around?

I would think that the TN DOT could find a better way to advise folks of the height of the bridge.  I KNOW that everyone in TN isn't illiterate!  And this bridge is NOT in Rand-McNally Motor Carriers Atlas....'cause I've looked!

NCbob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: