Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 01:08:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zonda  (Read 3243 times)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 04:09:58 PM »

Knew about them and figured there probably are some in the US but first time I have seen them on e-bay.

Note that the ones you pointed out on eBay are not in the US, they are in Malta.  And while it says they will sell "worldwide," you will not be able to import these particular coaches into the US, because most assuredly they do not have DOT lights or brakes, nor EPA emissions.  You'd be lucky if they were CE.

The barriers to selling motor vehicles in the US are formidable.  I'd think Zonda would need to see a much larger market than currently exists before they would invest the kind of money required to make these US-legal.  The vast majority of Chinese equipment and durable goods sold in this country are in much less heavily-regulated categories than motor vehicles.  (There are notable exceptions, including many scooters and some motorcycles, where the barriers to entry are somewhat lower.)

So, no, I don't think this changes anything.

FWIW.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Nissan_DownUnder

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »

Gidday

Zonda have been selling here in NZ for a couple of years.  One of our top quality motorhome builders is using them as the basis for their 9 to 11 metre motorhomes (30' - 36' ).  So far they have a reputation for good quality.

One of my friends (with more money than me) has recently purchased one.  He shows dogs in agility, taking them all around the country.  The coach has been specifically fitted out to his design.  He is very happy with the quality.

If Zonda are willing to make right hand drive vehicles & also to meet the requirements of the EEC,  I think they will be willing to meet the USA regulations, if there is a dollar in it for them.

Cheers
      Peter

Peter
Nissan UA440,  Wellington, New Zealand
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »

Malta is part of the EU, so if Zonda are importing to Malta then they presumably have met the European standard, which must be pretty formidable on a PSV - and as has been said, if they can meet that standard they can probably meet any standard if they want to. That's assuming they are actually being used on the road in Malta rather than just sitting in a compound somewhere waiting to be shipped somewhere else.

I am as wary as anyone buying Chinese-made stuff, but I think it's dangerous just to write-off any product just because it has a Chinese label on it - the truth is that there is some extremely advanced stuff made in China now, and the standard of even the mass market stuff is improving all the time. 40 years ago people were very dismissive of stuff made in Japan. 20 years ago it was Taiwan. 10 years ago it was Korea. Etc.

As some of you may know, Rover and MG were bought by the Chinese last year, and have been added to what is apparenty a very large and active car manufacturing industry in China - but so far almost all the output goes to the (vast) home market. I cannot think of any Chinese-built cars I have seen on the roads here, but I know there are some very cheap Chinese motorbikes out there.

Finally, this website has various pictures of Chinese copies of other manufacturer's vehicles. The Rolls Royce Phantom 'copy' is especially nice!

http://gemssty.com/2006/10/29/top-10-copycat-cars/

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Dreamscape

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 03:22:33 PM »

We face in the industry I work in the same challenges. They have been making copies of our block machine and handling system for several years. You can hardly tell them apart. That just goes to show that they are pretty good at stealing others ideas and making them work. Not funny. Angry

Paul
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 07:55:09 PM »

A lot of the Freightliner chassis are built in Gaffney, SC.  It was an Oshkosh (spelling) plant until Freightliner bought them.

I don't thing Deere has anything to do with them as another post said.

Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: