Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 11:09:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dash Gen. light on with house Gen. running  (Read 827 times)
JimC

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2006, 03:40:08 PM »

Hi all,
On my 4106 the dash generator light lights up when house generator is started. It just started to do this, and it is bugging me that the only way to drive with air conditioning working is with that big reg light staring me in the face.

I have an automatic transfer switch, and I have a feeling that somthing has malfunctioned within it, but the auto switch seems to be working like always. I tried running the 8/71 with the bus plugged into 120V and it does not light up under those conditions.

I am electrically challenged, so if anyone has an idea, please keep in in very simple layman terms.

Thanks in advance
Jim Callaghan 4106

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:56:03 PM »

Without seeing a wiring schematic I am guessing, but frequently poor ground connectrions can cause gremlins like this. I would check all your ground connections on the generator and the bus charging circuit as well as the dash light. Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 05:13:41 PM »

Also verify that the generator isn't driving a battery charger that's trying to charge the cranking batteries. The "Not Gen" light will light if you have battery chargers charging the batteries when the bus alternator should be doing the charging.
What is your battery volts when the genset is running?
If you have not done so, your generator should have its own cranking battery. The day will come when you'll need the genset and won't be able to start it.
I have to be sure that my inverter is turned off when the genset is on for AC or whatever and the engine is running.
However, did prove once again (I knew this, but it comes up frequently) that an LCD TV will run off of modified signwave inverter without issues. I've got a cheapo (relatively) Trace DR2424 and it has operated any and everything that I've plugged into it.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: