Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 12:48:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $6.00 a gallon Diesel  (Read 3106 times)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »

Wasn't very long ago, I started a thread about diesel reaching $4.00 a gallon.  As we all know well to good, $4.00 a gallon diesel would now make us do the "happy dance" now.  There is nothing in the way of raising fuel prices. Nothing to slow it down.  Heard on the radio that gas would hit $5.00 a gallon in the next couple of months.  If that happens, then Diesel will be around $6.00 a gallon.

Bill
Staying Put in Tampa Bay

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Airbag

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 03:02:20 PM »

It's hard to discuss this subject without getting political. The fact as we all know is that the speculators / Wall Street are driving the oil prices thru the roof. Some of you may even have stock in this commodity. One very well known politician suggested the other day that we free half the US oil reserves to the market and bankrupt the people betting against America. It would bring gasoline back down to $2.50 a gallon and get our economy rolling again.

I don't know about you but I think the oil speculators have put the screws to us long enough. They are rich beyond their wildest dreams. I have a customer that is an oil man and he said the other day $500 a barrel oil is fine with him. All I could do not to clock him.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »

One very well known politician suggested the other day that we free half the US oil reserves to the market and bankrupt the people betting against America. It would bring gasoline back down to $2.50 a gallon and get our economy rolling again.

Unfortunately it wouldn't have much impact.  With world wide oil consumption at 82 million barrels per day, half the reserve is only about 4 days worth of world wide production.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 03:54:04 PM »

Relax guys - the rule in commodities is "high prices bring low prices".  And it always works.  Oil isn't going back to $30 per barrel but it isn't a straight shot to $500 either.  Anybody who tells you different is a fool. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Airbag

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 06:23:31 PM »

Relax guys - the rule in commodities is "high prices bring low prices".  And it always works.  Oil isn't going back to $30 per barrel but it isn't a straight shot to $500 either.  Anybody who tells you different is a fool. 

Relax ! Y.G.T.B.S.M. All it has done is climb with no end in site. Easy for you to say my airplane biz has all but dried up and gone away. Avgas 5.85 a gallon and climbing. My inspector is threatening to quite because of the lack of work.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 07:22:50 PM »

Hi Guy's,

Bob is right,

Soon the stock market will crash, "it does every 8 years or so" Real Estate will plummet more and level out,

The price of a barrel will drop off to about 80/90$$ a barrel, and then we can start arguing our real estate taxes back down.

All this will have to happen in order for our economy to turn around.

Some folks will loose their pants if they don't watch their portfolios closely......

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 07:49:41 PM »

I agree. The price of oil will come down...AS LONG AS OUR POLITICIANS KEEP THERE INEPT HANDS OUT OF THE OIL BUSINESS.
Any effort by Congress to manage the oil market will come to great harm.
I'm all for drilling anywhere and allowing the states to share in the wealth as do the feds, building wind generation, building more nuke generators.
I'm against subsidized ethanol.  Corn based ethanol isn't a solution...short or long term. 
China, our major competition for crude, has seen a major downturn in their market...almost 50% off.   May see a little loosening up of crude soon.   There is no shortage of oil...just a 'potential' shortage of oil. 
Another thing is that the US is using less fuel.  That's eff'n amazing.  Americans aren't stupid.  They are moving quickly to limit daily gasoline use.  Small care were once 'goober' cars...not any more.  Saving fuel when reasonable is becoming vogue.   
I almost feel guilty when driving the bus....I said 'almost'...!   Wink     
Best, of all,  I've got a full fuel tank in the BuS!  Grin   And I'm gonna run it out beginning next weekend!    ROAD TRIP!!!!
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 07:32:31 AM »

What a chump I am, I had a chance to fill my tank at $3.50 a gallon this last spring, and did not becuase I thought it was too high and I was waiting for it go down.  ha ha

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 08:02:29 AM »

I think you guys are kidding yourself about fuel prices going to drop. I use the oil companies credit cards (Exxon,Texaco and Shell) to travel in my bus so I don't get caught with the 4 cent surcharge that some stations charge for AMEX ,Visa and MC, the point I am trying to make is in the last few months all 3 have tripled the limit on these cards   you guys have a great day
cody

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »

I've said it before and the answer is really pretty simple, if we all invested in oil futures, the bottom would drop out of the market.  Everytime I invest in something with the thought I'll make some money, it becomes almost worthless overnight.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 08:53:01 AM »

Hi Cody,

PLEASE, PLEASE.. Invest in futures for us!  Cheesy Cheesy Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 11:57:27 AM »

Hi Cody,

PLEASE, PLEASE.. Invest in futures for us!  Cheesy Cheesy Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Nick-

Nick,

I saw that you actually used a strange word in an earlier message...

Portfolio <<<---- Gads I didn't know that you knew that word.. Scary Thoughts..

What goes up MUST come down.. ( eventually )

I burned $50 worth of diesel fuel to go to my bank and deposit a $90 check...

Do You Feel the BURN....Huh?? $4.89 gallon here...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 12:50:53 PM »

I think you guys are kidding yourself about fuel prices going to drop. I use the oil companies credit cards (Exxon,Texaco and Shell) to travel in my bus so I don't get caught with the 4 cent surcharge that some stations charge for AMEX ,Visa and MC, the point I am trying to make is in the last few months all 3 have tripled the limit on these cards   you guys have a great day

I just did a week end run to Atlanta with a driver from another bus company, Friday when we got to Six Flags the other driver went over to a station and topped off his fuel at a cheap station $4.79! I told him that I was glad he drove for someone else because my drivers and I try to stop at Flying J's , Wal-Mart or where ever else we see it at the lowest possible. He said he bet I'd pay at least $4.81 at the "J" in Resaca, GA as that's what he thought he saw on the way down. Well I checked the price on line at the hotel that evening and found it showing $4.55! So I told him about it in the morning and that if I bought 100 gallons I'd save $24.00 over what he paid & be able to write a check! He mentioned it to his boss that we'd be making a stop on the way home so I could buy "cheap fuel" and she told him at that price he needed to top off too! Well they'd gone up $.02 a gallon by the time we got there at almost midnight Saturday night. But since he paid with American Express he paid $.09 cents more a gallon than I did! I bought 135 gallons which was $.30 short of being a $30.00 saving over what I'd paid if I'd gone with him and fueled near 6 Flags!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 05:57:09 PM »

I think we are competing with China for fuel. If we stop buying alot of made in China items they will stop competing so hard for fuel.

No more trips to Harbor Freight Tool. We are killing ourselves and free trade does not mean we have to buy it.

The China motorcycles are here now, cars are sure to follow. If you don't buy made in USA its your own job you are destroying.

Another year and you can get rich teaching Americans to swim the Rio Grande to get into Mexico.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 06:33:29 PM »

How much fuel am I going to waste looking for made in the USA items?  Some stuff you would end up driving all over town or buying from a website to get Made in the USA.  Some companies that previously made all or most of their stuff in the USA have shifted production to China so you have to watch all the time.

I try whenever possible to buy Made in the USA, but sometimes I succumb to the low prices of China or Taiwan.  There have been cases where the American tool costs $20 and the Chinese tool is $5.  If I am using it for one project I might not want to pay four times as much for tool that might last two or three times longer.

And no, it is not just Walmart buying stuff from China.  Target and any big chain buy just as much from China.  Your local hardware store buys from China too if they even have a housewares dept these days.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »

China is in need of a lot of fuel and that also affects the prices globally.

They much like us have a large territory and have to light and move products
not only there but all over the world just like us.

Most of our fuel problems are caused directly by government mis-management and self interest by those in power either by being voted in or those who bought their way into power.

The simple act of restricting european auto makers from bringing their diesels
here with horrendous epa rules. "BIN 5" and such nonsense. Makes sure that
the strangle-hold that U.S. Auto & Truck makers can get away with murder.
The only reason I mentioned the euro stuff was that they went mostly with
diesels for economy reasons years ago. ONLY the U.S. Restricted the majority
of imports to be GAS only. ( More profit in Gasoline and maintenance of Gasoline powered vehicles. )...

I personally hate the high prices, But like most people, Will just have to deal with it when it comes time to do some traveling.

Even at .91 Cents a mile I will still try to drive...somewhere...If and when I can.

Dave

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Airbag

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 07:46:19 PM »

I think we are competing with China for fuel. If we stop buying alot of made in China items they will stop competing so hard for fuel.

No more trips to Harbor Freight Tool. We are killing ourselves and free trade does not mean we have to buy it.

The China motorcycles are here now, cars are sure to follow. If you don't buy made in USA its your own job you are destroying.

Another year and you can get rich teaching Americans to swim the Rio Grande to get into Mexico.

DIDO
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 05:03:23 AM »

For a long time the primary reason European diesels didn't come to the USA was the lack of ultra low sulphur diesel here.  More diesels are coming from Europe now.

Diesels don't make as much sense since the price of the fuel is so high compared to gasoline.  I always thought there is a limited amount of diesel that could be made from a barrel anyhow?  For a time, US refineries were shipping diesel to Europe in exhcnage for gasoline.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: