Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 05:14:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally got bus on the road again!  (Read 1016 times)
belfert

« on: June 12, 2006, 04:34:02 PM »

I finally got my batteries charged up and I'm back on the road again!

Some questions though.  The book calls for approx 22 gallons coolant, but I removed the passenger baseboard radiators and the heater coil next to the evaporator.  I was able to get about 14 gallons in the surge tank before it was full.  I started the bus and no leaks so I drove it a mile or two and the tamps got to 140F or so.

What should my next steps be?  Let it cool down and refill the surge tank as necessary?

Brian Elfert
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 04:39:06 PM »

Brian,

Sounds like a good plan to me.

The lines and coil could very well account for the difference.

I would probably check after the next few runs, just to be sure.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
belfert

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 07:30:58 PM »

I was able to dump in about another gallon after things cooled down.  There is a neat little push button valve to release the pressure in the cooling system.

I suspect after I get it warmed up completely that I will be able to get a little more in yet.

Brian Elfert
Sojourner

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 08:40:39 PM »

Perhaps it air-out now….However just because it read 140° F DO NOT mean it actual coolant temperature IF air (no coolant) in gauge’s thermocouple area. Be-sure bleed out air under thermostat so coolant can touch it thermostat-bulb…so it can circulates fully to move if anymore of “pocket” of air (elsewhere) to expansion tank.

Before going on trip, drive so that coolant temperature reach 180° F & stabilize to know it ok & recheck level one more time.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: