Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 12:25:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Questions  (Read 5890 times)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2008, 01:24:36 PM »

I am looking at Dunlop 11r 24.5s. The ones I am looking at are the SP343 and the SP384. Do any of you have any knowledge of these? Are any of you running them on your bus or trucks? Thanks Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
sivrtnge2

1994 EAGLE 10/45 CAULDWELL CONVERSION

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »

Hey Tom,
In the truck market, Dunlop tires don't last long at all. On the up side, they are cheap so replacing them cost less. It's like a vicious cycle!!! IMO!!!

What are you looking to pay for tires and where are you located??? I might be able to get you a great tire at a decent price.
--
BILL
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »

Bill, I am in North West Pa. They want 345.00 for the SP343 and 395.00 for the SP382. I checked with a couple places around here and unless I buy wholesale and mount myself thats it.  Thanks Tom

Tom Yaegle
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 07:31:02 PM »

thats a bit steep for Dunflops.

Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 01:03:53 PM »

Teke, Is there a reason you don't like them? The 384 is made at the Goodyear plant and is like the 395 I think.   Thanks Tom

Tom Yaegle
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:36:58 PM »

I know you may want to buy new, but consider trying out all of your local, friendly truck stops and wrecking yards for good "take offs" from trucks that for whatever reason do not need them anymore.  Sometimes great $deals$ can be found.  It works for me.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 02:37:09 PM »

I don;lt have any particular distaste for Dunlops but I think that price quote was high for them.

getting takeoffs from a truck yard always leaves the tires suspect to internal damage, and or a possible vibration issue.  You have no idea what the story is on that tire.

Several of the large tire manufacturers several years ago went in together and built a tire plant. none of these tire manufacturers has any interest in the other it was done purely from a money standpoint.

now every 4 months or so they completey retool to build the next brands tires for 4 months of so.

Just because a tire is built in the same plant as another does not mean it is of equal quality.

Back in the 80's there were only two companies that made coolant  for US distribution...but hundreds of brands....all formulated to that brands specs....same for tires and batteries.

I recently bought a pair of Firestones for 250 each mounted and ballanced.......and lets not start a flame war on Firestone

I have never had an issue with any firestone product despite what the popular media wants you to think.

Dunlops should be in the same pricepoint givew or take a few bucks

Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 07:11:37 PM »

What model Firestone did you buy?  Thanks Tom

Tom Yaegle
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:38:11 PM »

Don;t recall off hand. 
 they only had a few all position choices in 12r22.5

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 11:07:57 PM »

I don;lt have any particular distaste for Dunlops but I think that price quote was high for them.

getting takeoffs from a truck yard always leaves the tires suspect to internal damage, and or a possible vibration issue.  You have no idea what the story is on that tire.

Several of the large tire manufacturers several years ago went in together and built a tire plant. none of these tire manufacturers has any interest in the other it was done purely from a money standpoint.

now every 4 months or so they completey retool to build the next brands tires for 4 months of so.

Just because a tire is built in the same plant as another does not mean it is of equal quality.

Back in the 80's there were only two companies that made coolant  for US distribution...but hundreds of brands....all formulated to that brands specs....same for tires and batteries.

I recently bought a pair of Firestones for 250 each mounted and ballanced.......and lets not start a flame war on Firestone

I have never had an issue with any firestone product despite what the popular media wants you to think.

Dunlops should be in the same pricepoint givew or take a few bucks

Doug,
No offense, and definitely not trying to cause a "flame war". But my family has had NOTHING but bad luck with Firestones! Back in the early 70's my dad bought a S&S new that had Firestones on it. The first summer we blew 4 outta 6! All replaced under warranty! The next summer the 4 replaced threw the tread (at different times)! Those again were replaced under warranty. Again less than a yr later all 4 had problems of various types. Dad finally got mad and demanded they take ALL of them off and give him something else! Not sure if Firestone footed the bill (I was only 7 or 8 then) or the manufacture of the MH! But he put Goodyears on it, and we never had another tire problem on that MH. Then in '77 dad bought a brand new Ford LTD Landau (land yacht). And it had Firestones on it, again shortly after buying it they started throwing treads & having blow outs. This time I know for a fact that the dealer paid for and installed new Michelins (after dad threatened to drop it of in the middle of the show room and not use the door!). Then in later yrs I drove a tow truck that came from the factory with Firestones. Yup you guessed it, blow outs right and left! Then in the 90's I bought a brand new Peterbilt and it had Firestones on it, less than 30,000 miles later I'd blown 3 out of 10. I had them changed to Bridgestone and never had a problem after that! These days you couldn't give me 20 brand new firestones! I know there are many people who never have had a lick of trouble from them, but then like I said our family has had very bad experiences! FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 05:44:05 AM »

my last truck 98 F150 Supercab log bed came with firestones.......75,000 miles on them and I took them off and sold them ( paid for 2 new tires) they sucked in rain but wore like iron

keep in mind Firestone is now owned by bridgestone.

I realize some people have bad luck with things.....and some people are just idiots (most of the ford firestone SUV fiasco) but if in deed the tires were crap, they would not be in business. IMHO.

I've had these two on the 8 for a couple years now...they ride nice ( as much aas I can tell) no smell like horse crap like the Japanese made TOYO's ( all the 12r22.5s) and are wearing nice.

GM0406

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 05:53:13 AM »

Well, Guess what our Honda Civics have on them?  Brigestones.  And yes we have had plenty of flats with them.  I finally took my sister in law's Honda down to discount tire and had them replace all of them.  The car had less than 25K on it.  What a difference in the ride!  Like Yokohamas, these Brigestones were awful hard riding cheap tires.  We just had 6 new Psuemotomos put on the '04.  They seem to ride great, but were $280 each and about $2500 out the door with equal in rears.  Fronts have auto balancers on it.  Take offs looked great, but were 13 years old and cracks between tread.  I figured if I hit a stone on a bridge, we were going to be in flat city.  LOL!  Anyway, doesn't Bridgestone own Firestone?  Bill T.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 10:53:38 PM »

I guess I'm going against the current when I tell you those Dunlop tires were the only ones that would hold up on my front heavy cab over truck (11R-24.5's in Dunlops are automatically 16 ply).  I don't use them now since Dunlop is a Goodyear company.  The tires to look at are BFGoodrich-they are made by Michelin and are considerably less money.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 11:07:58 PM »

I bought 4 Kellys about 5 months ago and and happy with them.  They ride very smoothly and I am sure that they will rot before I wear them out.  They were around $1000. or so with taxes, fees, assessments, tithes, surcharges, etc.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 07:48:36 AM »

You cannot judge an entire brand on one particular tire model.

manufacturers often spec out a particular OEM tire that is not available to the general public.  just the same as off brand Start batteries,

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: