Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 01:32:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why doesn't roof AC run all the time?  (Read 2219 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:39:16 AM »

I have two Carrier rooftop AC units that maybe have 20 or 30 hours on each one.

Anyhow, I had them both on yesterday, but the front of the bus was noticeably warmer than the rear of the bus.  I turned the front AC to max cold on the dial.  The problem is that the front unit didn't run the compressor much even though it was warm up front.  I would have expected the compressor to run all the time until it got cool up front.

Any ideas what I might check?  I noticed it not cooling too well on a trip last year, but didn't pay much attention then.

I had a travel trailer before and the compressor would run non-stop no problem when it was 113 degrees outside.  (It could only drop the temp inside to maybe 85 or 90.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:12:29 AM »

Sounds like a failing thermostat. If Carrier is like most, it uses a stat with a gas filled aluminum sensing tube. When the tube warms, the gas expands and closes an internal switch which actuates the compressor. If the tube loses its charge, there is no gas to expand and close the switch. If the tube loses some of its charge, the compressor actuates at a higher temperature.

There are other factors involved but I would check the thermostat first.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:34:39 AM »

I assume the thermostat is in the ceiling assembly?  If I swap ceiling assemblies that should help in diagnosis, correct?

If this is in the rooftop portion, how do I check or replace it?  Do I need a professional?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 06:45:46 AM »

Not positive, but I am pretty sure the themostat tube is in roof top part of the AC. I think the only thing that connects between the roof top unit and inside cover is a couple wire connectors (and a 3rd if you have the heat strip option).  Maybe Nick will chime in on how to test the unit.   Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:31:28 AM »

Hi Brian,

The fact that the stat is cycleing the compressor, lads me to belive that it may be ok.

It sounds like the sensing tube is in the wrong place..

It's possible that cold supply air is comming in contact with it and prematurely cycleing it off.

Compair the placement of the tube with the rear unit.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »

I believe I found the problem.  The sensing tube is mounted on the ceiling assembly.  The ceiling is not finished under the front AC unit so the ceiling assembly cover does not fit right and allows cold air to leak onto the sensing tube.

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »

Isn’t there an adjustment on the stat? I have seen some if you remove the knob there is a screw you can adjust to modify the set points.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:05:35 PM »

Belfert  I have carrier roof top units and the compressor cycles way to much and is off more than it is on. The instruction say to place the tube in the evaporator fins. I thougth this was the problem because of putting it in the coolest place. I moved it to the intake duct but this did not help. This must be a problem with carrier. If you find the problem advise us Thank you Wayne
Sojourner

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »

About compressor off & on cycling too often while trying to cool.

1)   If condenser’s air flow is restricted and/or fan or blower is dirty or slow air flow….it will cause compressor’s to work harder (high-head pressure) and the thermostat breaker switch on motor’s housing to switch off until cooled somewhat to turn back on. Check for leave and etc. Check motor’s bearing for lube dryness…or dose it spin freely.
2)   Check inlet filter restricted to cause icing build up on evaporator.
3)   Check the evaporator’s fan or blower for slower than normal flow
4)   Make sure both evaporator and condenser are clean and fins are open instead of flatten. You can get fin straighten-er tool to open them.
5)   If thermo bulb is getting cooled air instead of room air…check for outlet (cooled air) is directed or too close to evaporator’s room air inlet.
6)   For non wall type thermostat control…Thermo bulb should be on side of evaporator’s room air inlet opening behind the grill.
7)   Wall type thermostat control should be mounted on partition wall (never on outside wall) and away from cooled air flow passage or redirect cold air duct.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »

I had the same problem on my front Coleman roof top.  My fix was to put one wrap of electrical tape around the thermostat bulb, and presto-the thermostat allowed the air to come down lower since it was semi insulated from the cold.  It has been running for 14 years this way.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: