Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 01:14:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pretty damn sad  (Read 7030 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 08:11:29 AM »

A few years ago the Florida legislature passed a bill referred to as the "Kill Bill". Essentially it says you have the right o shoot anyone that forcibly breaks into your home or car if you are in the the house/car at the time.  You cannot be held civilly or criminally liable for your actions to to protect yourself and your loved ones.  After this bill passed, home invasions and car jackings dropped significantly.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »

I wonder if California ever wised up with a law like that.  When I lived out there they had several cases where the home owner was prosecuted for using lethal force against an intruder.  The law at that time specified that the home owner could use lethal force if they had sufficient reason to believe their life was in jeopardy.  The controversy in all of the cases was over what constituted sufficient reason.  Of course, in an intruder situation, if you wait until you know the intruder is armed before taking action, it's too late.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »

OK boys and girls, tell the story about Tom Horn, although it looks like he make have hurt or killed an intruder looking at the other posts...if so good for him!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 10:18:15 AM »

Man Cleared for Killing Neighbor's Burglars

ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 11:02:29 AM »

Just wait until the libs get control of the whole mess in DC...  We will have the "Ted Kennedy special" that they passed in Mass. going nationwide.  According to Mass. law, if a criminal breaks into your house, regardless of whether or not they have a weapon or you believe they have lethal intent, if you have the opportunity to flee the premises and not engage the predator, you are required by law to do so instead of defending your home.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 03:19:08 PM »

What with the most recent ruling from the Supreme's regarding handguns in DC the NRA is filing suit in Cook County, IL (Chicago) in the hopes of restoring gun owners rights there.

That however doesn't help B & B and their loss. I don't wish to be a party pooper Ace, but considering the fact that they can afford not only a nice home and a bus...one might think that they could afford an alarm system to protect their belongings. Knowing how busy they are..it might not have crossed their minds...but I'll bet it will now!

On the other hand...ya can't beat a junkyard dog or a Mother-in-Law in residence! Wink

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Green-Hornet

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 03:49:06 PM »

A few years ago the Florida legislature passed a bill referred to as the "Kill Bill". Essentially it says you have the right o shoot anyone that forcibly breaks into your home or car if you are in the the house/car at the time.  You cannot be held civilly or criminally liable for your actions to to protect yourself and your loved ones.  After this bill passed, home invasions and car jackings dropped significantly.  Jack

Yup..the good ol Castle Doctrine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 07:46:16 PM »

The supreme court just recently re-affirmed personal gun rights as long as you're willing to be in the militia.  Ohio just passed a kill-bill that takes effect in september i think.

with diesel and gas prices, layoffs everywhere, and housing shortages, first help your neighbor, then shoot any bastard that tries to rob either of you or the other neighbors.  this is a time to stick together and help each other.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »

Tom,

You got it backwards.  The Supremes have recently overturned the Washington, DC NO Gun law.  In so doing they affirmed the individuals right to keep andbear arms "without" belonging to a Miletia.

Good news,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 12:39:29 AM »

Tom getting cleared makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Gives me a little hope for the future of America.
 I recieved an email recently about the mid west flooding, if you notice on the news there is no one sitting on roof tops with signs saying "save us" No dramatic footage of people looting liquor stores. Al and Jessie are not up there demanding that the Gov do something to help those poor people. Makes me wonder?? No bad guys, lots of guns, different attitude??

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 05:16:30 AM »

JJR,

Might sound like I am quibbling with you but I aint,,,,really. Smiley

I noticed that there weren't any people on roofs with signs, as you did.  I assumed that the ones that needed rescued had been rescued.  I also didn't see any looters.  I wondered if there weren't any as the National guard was on site quickly and augmenting the police patrols, running helo air rescue ops AND filling sandbags.  I saw a Army Major being interviewed during the New Orleans thing and he was furious.  Seems he commanded a large National Guard unit that was halted 45 miles outside NO.  They sat there for 10(?) days and were then ordered to "go back to base".  He said that he and his men watched the looting and pleas for rescue on TV with the rest of the nation and to his credit he was sick about it.

FEMA was responsive this time and got great press coverage and I saw a lot of the Gummint emergency worker interviews.  Now the levies did fail and those were built by the Corps of Army Engineers and there were reports around for many years that said that they, the levies, weren't built right and/or were falling into disrepair, like New Orleans.  The levies have failed all over the upper Mississippi but not all levies have failed....like New Orleans.

The sick and disabled that were in the hospitals were evacuated by state and fed disaster personnel.....unlike in New Orleans where they were left to die without water, airconditiong(130 degrees inside) or emergency power for medical equipment.  The Dr. that stayed in the NO hospital was recently on trial for murder.  She was the ONLY DR. IN N.O. THAT STAYED.  She and 2 nurses tried to care for all the people that were in intensive and critical care that never got evacuated.  They ran out of pain meds, had no supplies or oxygen or anything else except a commitment to do whatever they could do for the sick and dying.  She was being tried for killing a terminal patient by administering two different pain meds that were thought to have stopped the mans heart.  Turns out that using them together is a judgement call and, in the doses she administered, were not lethal for sure and she had nothing else to give and he had been screaming for a couple days. Cancer does that to even the strongest among us and I hope and pray I never learn that first hand.   Now I am glad I live in a country where I can force a powerful and protected MD to stand and defend their actions in a court of law.  We sure learned a lot about "how things were" from the testimony in her defense.  I watched her testify and she held her head up high and had not the slightest trace of guilt or regret and I think she was even happy to be telling her story in such a media intense environment.  Did you see her?  What channels do you typically watch?  It gripes me that we can't get a hold on the ones that fled the storm and left their patients to die horrible deaths of neglect alone and in darkness. Angry 

I saw on the news the other night that the insurance companies were setting up temp offices to process the claims and get construction started as soon as possible in the mid west.  Gladdens this old man's heart to see well oiled disaster service machines spring into action and assist those that are in need or even just seriously inconvenienced.  Saw a special report on TV the other night where 60%(some big number) of the people displaced (refugees) by the NO affair were still in temp housing with family and friends around the country.  They can't return cause there is no housing and the insurance companies aren't paying even to this day.  Also had a rough spell down there when somebody discovered that the emergency housing trailers were found to be outgassing dangerous stuff.  They evicted the tenants and crushed the trailers.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of them didn't go back to their roofs with signs. Huh

Yes indeedey, things are different in the midwest. Roll Eyes  And thank God for that.

The only part of what i know about this national disgrace that I learned from FOX was that there were looters.  All the rest I got from the other networks and mainly PBS.  I feel sure that Major is a private now and also that a man like that wouldn't hold his tongue in spite of knowing that he would be busted.  I am sure that Al Sharpton didn't visit the midwest because there wasn't any need for the chubby rascal to make an appearance.  He isn't shy about going to funky places and opening his mouth really wide.  If all you got out of watching these two disasters unfold was that there are no looters or black activists in the mid west.....you are watching FOX exclusively and way to much of it at that. Shocked  Don't get me wrong now I don't like thieves and looters any more than you or the next man.  Those are not the only categories of "evil doers" that really tick me off, however.

I guess a lot of people think that the NO disaster would have been prevented by more guns.  After 4 days a group of thousands of desperate NO victims started walking east on the interstate.  They had no food or water or medical care.  They were met just outside the city limits by a small army of well armed men, uniformed peace officers and civilians, and were given the option of turning around or getting shot.  I guess all that talk about guns and drugs in the ghetto is crap because a war didn't start at that point.  Had I been the refugee and I was armed I would have left my life there.  "Stand aside and let these women and children get food and water or I will open fire".  Can there be a better way to go?  They make movies about events like that.  I sure hope they make a movie about the chosen few that stopped the exodus.

All in fun now JJR, all in fun.  Got my conservative hackles up a tad though....see why I like that Major?

OK, OK, bus, fuel, roads transmission.  Happy? Grin Grin Grin Tongue

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 05:44:03 AM »

I think the people in the midwest helped THEMSELVES!!! What I see are towns and people who come together to help their neighbor in a time of disaster.  Not waiting around for the Federal Govt to come and save them.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 05:51:38 AM »

Interesting sides of the story different people have.

What the drive-by media doesn't want is for you to see these are 2 very different cultures & the same actions will have very different results.

New Orleans wasn't the only place on the Gulf coast hit so hard, but it is the only place I saw where helicopters were shot at by "the victims". I also saw a news report early on where the mayor & governor were keeping help out in an effort to encourage those that wanted to stay to leave. THEN when the mayor & gov realized that wasn't working & they had screwed up, they started a media blitz to cast blame elsewhere.

Seems to me it is more productive to help those who help themselves.

When you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
When you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

So, what do you do when someone refuses to learn how to fish? Are they still a helpless victim?

As for moving all the 'invalids' out of the area every time there is a hurricane warning - Just who can afford to? Who has to pay for it? Why did they choose to live there if they should evacuate for hurricane warnings?

I still think if everyone acted responsibly, we wouldn't have a need for guns, police, govt, etc.
Since some don't want to act responsibly, something is needed & it occurs to me that if every responsible person was allowed to carry a gun, then the irresponsible would be forced to do a little more thinking .  .  .  .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 07:18:56 AM »

We're getting a bit off topic here but Kyle, adding to your point....If Mayor Nagle had allowed the School Buses to be used not only would some people been saved but the buses as well. But, Oh well, they re-elected that dummy again anyway....after he hand carried all those absentee ballots over to Houston for the former residents of the 9th Ward.......

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 09:04:50 AM »

OK as a FURIOUS Katrina responder, I too have an insight and opinions on these incidents! OK first Katrina hit on Wed. and they immediately began asking for anyone with buses to come help on our local TV stations. But it took me until Sun. to get someone, anyone to tel me yes bring your buses, and where to report to with them. Then once we arrived, it was obvious the damage had been done, and there were way more buses there than needed at this late point. We were directed to huge parking lots where there were literally thousands of other buses just sitting and doing nothing! And what were we directed to do? Sit and wait with the others! After a while, and much complaining from all of the drivers about sitting there doing nothing they started coming up with bogus missions that they would deploy 10-15 of us at a time on. This went on for 2 weeks (living in the buses in those "staging areas" until Rita was approaching, then they started dispatching us to other locations to be assigned for Rita evacuation duties. So yes they were ready and did try to evacuate before Rita.
Now on the midwest floods, they have never once requested buses for evacuation. Any idea why?
#1) The area has a much less population per size area.
#2) The floods grew gradually, not instantly such as when hurricane Katrina (the worst to hit the US in many yrs!) hit.
#3) The National Guard and the local public had already started attempting to fight the floods, by sand bagging and relocating before it became a major disaster situation.
#4) Different class of people living a much different style of life!
So yes there are major differences in the two, but at the same time the gubermnt has learned a very costly and valuable lesson from "Katrina". They do have a plan now, and they do have very many coach operators "on call" for any such needed evacuation missions that should come up in the future! (I am proud to be one offering our coaches should the need arise!)
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:07:29 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: