Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 07:18:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone else have this problem?  (Read 1194 times)
highwayrunner

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2006, 06:48:04 PM »

We can not all be masters at everything needed to convert a bus. So you "put a job out for bid".  You screen the person and discuss price  and even make sure they know it is a bus and to see the job. The time comes for them to show up and nothing..... I guess the bus is just too much for them.  This is so frustrating to me. Does this happen to anyone else?

Cindi Z

Steve and Cindi
82 MC 9

~z~
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 06:56:54 PM »

Noit just with the bus,
I've found lately that it's easier for me to learn a new skill at 51 yrs old than to trust other people who supposedly 'Know' what they are doing.
I had a guy all lined up to replumb my waste lines in the bus. He said he's done hundreds of RV's, including buses.
After looking at the job, he wanted to go buy close to $250 worth of PVC to plumb 1 shower, 1 toilet and one kitchen sink.
Then wanted to pull out all my new PEX water lines and replace with copper!

I'll do it myself thankyouverymuch.

Good Luck,
Dallas
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 07:09:32 PM »

Sounds liie a typical construction contrator around here.  What are you trying to farm out?  I did everything on my bus myself, mostly because I'm a perfectionist and I'd just end up having to pay for work I wouldn't be happy with.  If I'm doing a project in an area that I'm a little "shaky", I take my time and think through every step.  Sometimes it comes out great and sometimes it becomes a "practice part".  Even if the job has to be done twice, In the end, I have something that I did myself and that I'm satisfied with.

Paint jobs are a classic example.  I know someone who paid over $5000 to have a large truck painted.  I have about $500 in materials to paint my bus (in my back yard).  It's not perfect, but it looks just as good as the $5000 job done in a spray booth by a pro painter.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 07:14:49 PM »

Don't give up!

We have all run into people like this Angry

But just like Ross and Dallas said, this may a good time to learn a new skill.

You may find you can do it better than the so called "pro's" Grin

Best of Luck

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 07:30:16 PM »

Sometimes it's a case of the pro not being any more skilled, he just happens to have the right tools.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 07:42:03 PM »

Sometimes it's a case of the pro not being any more skilled, he just happens to have the right tools.

Well, I'm certainly not a pro, but I am accumulating a lot of really cool tools!† Grin

David
busboy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 09:33:43 PM »

I had this problem all the time when we owned the Campground in South Carolina.  Get this, I called every electrician in the Anderson, SC phone book to do some work for me...about 10...and only one called me back.  I called every boat dock builder around Lake Hartwell to build me a new dock, now this is a large lake(56,000 acres)...1 guy called me back 2 months later and said that they found my contact info under some papers on his desk.    Coming from Texas I did not remember having that many problems and I was beginning to think it was a South Carolina work ethic problem...I guess it happens everywhere. 
-Brent
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: