Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 09:53:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to get a bus survey?  (Read 1549 times)
Bill and Sylviane

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »

Hello All,

Well, we are finally getting close to complete on our conversion. We plan to move on and travel full time for a spell. I want to get full insurance coverage considering all of my money and much time for the past five years has now been invested into our new rolling home. I want to have a set value for replacement.

My current insurance company said I will need to provide pictures and some explanation of why my RV should be worth more than the “Blue Book” (I don’t thinks that is the right term for bus valuation but I don’t know what else to call it…). I just plan to give copies of receipts for all that I have bought.

I have also read on this board that some insurance companies want to see a Survey done to establish the value. In the past I have had this done for my boats but I don’t know where to look for an expert that can do a bus survey. Any ideas?

The last question I have is how to make sure the structural modifications I have done will not somehow void my coverage if the time ever comes that I need to use it. I have done a roof raise and installed a slide out.

TIA
Bill
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »

This is a link to a bus apprasial  company from our own Help board: http://www.automotiveappraisals.com/id9.html

Lots of other links there also.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:43:55 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Airbag

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 02:46:12 PM »

Hello Bill
Insurance companies are funny. When I purchased full coverage for my MC-5 they wanted to know if the conversion was a professional conversion. Now I told them it was done by a gentleman and the name of his company is blah blah blah they said OK.

When you tell them who converted it use a company name if you have one. Tell them everything but tell them nothing. If you know what I mean.

My bus was appraised before I bought it by:

Gary Winchell
Classic Auto Appraisals
8203 Perrugia Lane
Clay NY 13041
315-699-5439

I hope this helps

Rick
Bill and Sylviane

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »

Thanks Richard that looks like a good service.

Rick,

I need to understand how much I should disclose in regards to the modifications I have made. If I do end up with a claim, won’t they be looking for some reason not to cover me? If they don’t ask about structural modifications am I obligated to disclose it anyway? All of this is new to me…

BTW I am just south of Sacramento currently.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 04:25:39 PM »

Find an insurance company that will give you a policy based on Agreed value.

Agreed value is pretty much you set the value and they charge you an appropriate premium for the value of the unit that you agree on.

Only right way to go  to get asurance you will get the money you expect to get

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »

I agree with getting "Agreed Value" coverage.

Being somewhat of a cynic when it comes to insurance companies (and a lot of other things  Wink ), I expect them to use any thing they can to get out of paying a claim.  This probably isn't going to be an issue when making a minor claim from fender benders or broken windows, etc.  But if a serious claim is made, an adjuster will study the vehicle carefully.  If he notices aftermarket alterations to structural parts, this will figure prominently in his report to the insurance company.  If those alterations were not disclosed and recorded somwhere within the policy or attachments, I would expect them to use that as reason not to pay.

Note, some folks don't agree.  They will say I worry too much about little stuff.  Maybe so.  But insurance companies routinely make the news for their latest example of refusing a claim due to some small detail.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »

I also use and believe in agreed value insurance.

No misunderstandings is the key to less litigation.

I started with a base value to cover myself and have upped it each year as it nears completion.

My estimates of value are based on real world replacement, not repair and they have been more than happy to increase the value.

After all, i have been a good risk so far.....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:00:42 PM »

I had progressive with agreed on value. A few days after the fire two adjusters came and determined it was a total loss and within one week I had a check for the full amount.

After the inspectors left I was able to get her started and drove her down to my shop.

They would not sell her to me however. Catskinner from Texas bought her and drove up here with a friend. I think he only spent one day here getting the smoke off the windows and other minor things and then drove her back to Texas without any problems as I recall.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 05:00:26 AM »

Give these folks a call:  Aon Insurance Agency 1-800-521-2942

They write insurance on converted Buses every day with Progressive, National Interstate Ins. Co and others.  They will handle the appraisal also.

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 08:06:20 AM »

Give these folks a call:  Aon Insurance Agency 1-800-521-2942

They write insurance on converted Buses every day with Progressive, National Interstate Ins. Co and others.  They will handle the appraisal also.

It is interesting to me that Aon is so frequently recommended.  I contacted them when I was looking for an insurer.  The first thing they wanted to know was who did the conversion.  I answered that I was doing the conversion.  They promptly replied that they were unable to provide coverage.
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:48:27 PM »

You should have said the Marine Corp. and the would have written your ins.
Bill and Sylviane

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 03:17:01 PM »

I definitely want to go with the “agreed value”. I haven’t added up all my receipts yet but I know it’s over $60k, I would like to have the value at least at $85K but as long as I don’t get stuck at $15k (or what ever price a  1982 MC9 fair market value is..) I will be OK.

Soon I will install the cabinet doors and light fixtures, at that point I can take some pictures and see if my current carrier is the best choice or if I will go with some of the suggestions here. I own a construction company so I can at least tell them it was built by my company name, not sure if that will help or not.

Thanks everyone for the help. This place is great, I hope to spend more time on the board now that I will not be as busy.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: