Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:44:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stories for Bus Conversion Magazine  (Read 2645 times)
writingchef

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »

Bus Conversion Magazine is always looking for good copy to put in our monthly magazine. Conversions (successful or unsuccessful), special projects, surprises, technical subjects, even stories about bus nuts that are special. Contact me directly through the magazine or the message board if you have an idea or want to become a writer. (Pay is lousy!)

Dennis Myers, Editor BCM
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »

Dennis is easy to work with and very polite with his corrections.  Pay is one free magazine. LOL

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:45:01 PM »

Grin

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 02:14:44 PM »

If we submit an USM (unsolicited manuscript) to the magazine and if they print it, does that give us the bragging rights that we are "professionally published writers" or something like that?  Sounds good to me.  The stories we could tell.  He he he.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »

If we submit an USM (unsolicited manuscript) to the magazine and if they print it, does that give us the bragging rights that we are "professionally published writers" or something like that?  Sounds good to me.  The stories we could tell.  He he he.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Yup.  You wrote it, that makes you a writer.  It got published that makes you a published writer.  You received compensation for it (the free magazine) that makes you a professional published writer.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:32:07 PM »

And you will be listed in that magazine as a Contributing Editor.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 07:27:53 PM »

Hi HB of CJ,
I'm not sure that would be anything to brag about. In the July 2008 issue of BCM on page 34 the centerfold Prevost is an '87, on page 37 it's an '89, and on page 43 it's an '86. I'm not sure if the errors are the author's or the editor's. In either case it doesn't reflect well. It leaves me wondering if it really is a Prevost.
On another note, I am sure glad that Doreen Orion's bus year is over. It seemed to me that all she was interested in on the trip was how many painted nails she had, where the best wine was, and where the best resturant was. With all the natural beauty there is in Alaska and Canada that she could have photographed, why did we have to see so many pictures of her bus month after month? Oh yes, I forgot, you get what you pay for at BCM.
Oh well, Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 08:38:28 PM »

I thought Doreen's articles were well written, I for one enjoyed them, everyone knows Alaska and Canada are beautiful, but for the newbee, where do you stay, eat, and get that adult beverage?  And who can resist looking at a picture of a Prevost!!!!!!Oh my!!!!

Ray D
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 05:14:54 AM »

Tough crowd!  Grin
Personally, I think they should focus on 4501's  Wink  Grin  Shocked  Cool

It is tougher still to write a couple of articles & almost impossible for me to continue after that.  Sad

I have a few started, when I find the time, I'll finish them & send them in.
BUT- If I'm gonna be micro critiqued for punctuation & grammar, I may not look for the time.  Shocked

Yes, there is room for improvement, but you need to understand that the market for this type of magazine is quite limited, & like with everything else, we do the best we can with limited resources.
Would I do things differently? You bet I would! - BUT WAIT, I don't have a magazine, so maybe If I was running things there wouldn't be a magazine . . . . . Something to think about.  Wink

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 07:07:38 AM »

Post Deleted.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:46:19 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 11:10:38 AM »

I wuz tld bi a sycologie maygor specializing in developement psyc that any owrds you miss spell in the 5th grade you will probably missspelll for the rest of your life.  Don't ask me how I verified the validity of that information.  I have yet to be able to get the "E" in "somEthing" even most of the time.  I am at the point in my life where I am starting to deny having a Masters.

You should have your hands full on this editing scorre.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »

I tell ya what's tough for me as a writer....besides the spelling....( when I hit spell check it doesn't even know what I was trying to say... Angry) what's tough, is the total lack of feedback.

When I wrote on this board, people would write in and comment. Instant feedback.

When I write for the magazine.......... Silence. Zip. Nada.

Gee....wait a second... I just thought of something.... maybe silence is a good thing....maybe it would hurt my feelings to know what you think. Smiley

No. really.... I wouldn't mind any kind of feedback ......Good or bad.

And to be really honest with you, I'm not even sure what issues my stuff is in....so, how's that for flying blind?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:52:46 AM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 05:21:47 AM »

Chaz,
    I have written over 25 articles for Bus Conversions and Coach Builders Bulletin.  Rarely any feedback except an occasional in person "Jack, I liked your article". Only a couple emails asking for additional information, photos, sources, etc.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 05:51:19 AM »

I bought a bunch of extra copies when I got published  Grin
That's how I keep up with the time & how it does fly!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »

Jack and Chaz,
I for one, have enjoyed your articles.  Well written and good pics.  Thanks for all your efforts!  Without guys like you, who will make an effort, look what the rest of us would miss.  Good going.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 03:35:48 PM »

I've written maybe a dozen articles for a couple of farm publications over the years.  You never know what is going to generate calls.  Some of the articles that I thought I would get calls on I got nothing and then there'd be one that kept the phone ringing for a month.  And once in a while you get a call where you wonder what planet the guy is calling from and how the H you are going to ever get him off the other end of the phone.  So its not always bad when you get no calls.

And FTR I kind of liked Doreen's streams of consciousness.  Its a whole different ballgame when you have to write to a deadline.  Its no big deal to write a guest article that is scheduled to run "sometime".  Its another cat altogether when you have to churn out a new piece of prose every month.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 04:58:51 PM »

Jack and Chaz,
I for one, have enjoyed your articles.  Well written and good pics.  Thanks for all your efforts!  Without guys like you, who will make an effort, look what the rest of us would miss.  Good going.
Dennis

Thank you Dennis Cheesy
That $20 I promised you for saying that, is gone....my fish ate it. sorry.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 09:06:12 PM »

I have published three articles and feel good about contributing.  I have a fourth in the works. 

Many years ago, I wrote an SAE technical pager on the subject of the statics of belt fatigue failures based on laboratory testing.  I got a call from a heart valve manufacturer asking how they could go about establishing a test program to determine their product life expectancy!!  I wish I had recorded the name of the company so that when my aging ticker needs a rebuild, I could avoid that supplier  Grin

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 06:02:48 AM »

Chazwood, your articles are the only thing in the magazine my wife reads.  Of course, I'm not sure what that means...on several levels... Huh Grin
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 08:19:51 AM »

Chazwood, your articles are the only thing in the magazine my wife reads.  Of course, I'm not sure what that means...on several levels... Huh Grin

Whatever that "means"...... You have my permission to tell her...... she just made my day. Grin

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: