Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 02:43:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bike racks  (Read 1475 times)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2006, 09:53:13 PM »

Saw a two story (2 bicycles just above receiver hitch and 2 more above those) bike rack on the back of one of those real expensive stick and staple motor homes at the beach.  Looked to be a receiver hitch mounted affair.
  Sure would like to have one for the bus.Anyone know where to get such a thing or do you think it was a custom one off deal. everything I find on line is one story and would stick way out with 4 bikes on it..
                            Tucson   Huh 

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:20:00 AM »

Tucson,

I have seen them here in Florida, so they must be available, somewhere Tongue

I didn't have any luck searching google. Sad Sad

But don't worry, the Master Googlers will come out of hiding now!

Cliff
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:40:03 AM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
86neoplan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 05:41:30 AM »

The standard of the industry for any type of bus is the front mount sportworks bike rack. That is what virtually ALL mass transit systems use. the normal one hold 2, but the do make a 3 rack as well.

pricing I am not sure of...

here is the website...I am probably going to get one for the new flyer. we could do a group buy if there was enough interest.

I like biking..

heres the link...

http://www.bicycleracks.com/busrack_products_catalog.asp

shawn

Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 05:47:47 AM »

I have the 3 bike holder.  I get 4 on, two are kids bikes.

It is made from a cargo rack that has an insert ($15.00 at Walmart)that holds the wheels.

Since it is on a 2" receiver I can put it on the back of the toad, or on the rear of the bus by itself.

Only down fall on the rear I am anticipating is the misc oil grime that it will collect on it Sad

I will probably use a cover. Smiley

Cliff
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:52:29 AM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
coachcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:39:24 AM »

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=935XT
this one is not double decker but holds 4 for 1 1/4' recievers.  they also have ones for 2" recievers

its thule, a sweedish company and they have an american factory 10 minutes from me.  In my youth i used to race BMX for many years and thule racks always were my choice. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 06:41:36 AM by coachcrazy » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 08:44:34 AM »

I bought a generic 3 bike rack for a 2" receiver (which you also have to buy).  The only downfall is that the bikes wobble alot.  But nothing a couple of 1" ratchet straps hooked under the bumper didn't take care of.  The only pain is checking the oil, since I have to take the whole mess off, but that only takes about 10 minutes.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
busboy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 02:17:18 PM »

We bought a 4 Bike rack that fits in a 2" reciever.  It is a trick to get 4 bikes on it.  You have to be careful with how your downtube is designed on your bike.  My wife has one of these beach bikes with very little space between the tubes and I have to put the bottom tube on the rack vs the top tube. 

Also, does anyone know of a cover for 4 bikes on a rack?  My Land Rover and the bikes get a good coating of soot from the driving.
-Brent
coachcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 02:23:09 PM »

well for 4 bikes, i think a small motorcycle cover for maybe a 250cc should do the trick
jeepme

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 06:48:29 PM »

I bought a 4 bike rack from Wal Mart right before my trip thru Yellowstone last week. It mounts in the receiver and lays down by removing a pin. I cut the upright and welded in a 1 1/2 foot extension to lift the bikes up higher. I didn't like the wheels hanging so low behind the rear bumper. It is a squeeze to put on all four bikes and it's not a double decker but I'd think it would be easier than loading the top two bikes. The bikes fit so close that it doesn't stick out much.

With the bikes lifted higher I can hold the rack with one hand and pull the pin then slowly tilt the bikes till they hit the ground. The engine door can them be lifted. It's a bit heavy to lift back into position but not really any worse than holding the heavy engine door up while fumbling to put in the pin to hold it.

The bikes didn't get too dirty, they are high enough that 90 percent of the grime is at the tire level and below.

Jason Whitaker
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 06:58:18 PM »

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=351.0 .
Is this how you link to a post all ready in the archives?
The post is Bicycles on page 24.

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: