Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 01:05:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing wipers from air to electric?  (Read 4639 times)
kysteve

« on: July 12, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »

Hey Guys,

I was talking to Dan at Silver Eagle the other day, and He told me of a good deal on a kit they have to change the wipers over to electric on my 5.  It seems as the kit has everything involved except the labor...lol... Have any of you changed your wiper motors over and whats involved???  This kit is less than $500.00.  Does that seem like a fair price for the arms. blades, motors, washer bottle, and controls?  I want to get your opinions before I jump into this. 

Thanks, ...Kentucky Steve .............
Sojourner

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:23:02 PM »

If you are a fabricator or DIY in metal working…you can get 2 used tandem wiper motor unit from each old large Thomas or Superior or Wayne school bus body in salvage yard. Bell-crank may need to drill to relocate the length of stroke hole. In Florida, many school bus being converted to orange picker’s goat. So I have gotten 3 sets (pair) for free if you remove them yourself.

Keep in mind, all US cars that are equips with large wipers are single motor unit. So the motor units are powerful enough to power one bus’s wiper but come without the tandem mounting bracket. You could mount car type motor in place of air if the tandem bearing are good.

About which is better for all-around performances of either air or vacuum or electric. I think if we have a vote on this….you will find electric is the number one choice.

And no more compound of the..hiss…hiss… hissss…hiss… hissss…hiss…noise.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:25:31 AM by Sojourner » Logged
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:11:51 AM »

Steve I purchased mine from Prevost through IBP and just for the motors they were $599.00.  The arms alone are about $100.00 each.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:27:23 AM »

Fred Hobe sells a kit for an MCI, don't know how difficult it would be to modify for an Eagle. I think he gets $350 for his kit.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 07:23:20 AM »

When I looked at the options on this I decided that being retired with no time schedual that I would just not drive in the rain Grin  Works for me!!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:00:51 AM »

hi ky steve

removed air wipers from my '89 gmc rts.  replaced with electric from 2002 chrysler van.  big wipers, individual motors and controls, two spray units, etc.

am very pleased with results.  work great and are almost hidden when not in use. 

the task was a tremendous amount of fabrication work and, even tho' the parts came from salvage yard, the dollar expense was considerable.  if you are interested in converting to automobile type electric wipers, give me a whistle and we'll go over everything in detail.

however, if you are satisfied with the 'hanging' bus type wipers and, only want to convert them to electric, then $500 is certainly a fair price for a dyi kit.

gary t'berry
'89 rts 102 40er

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:46:54 AM »

Steve, I have 20.00 in mine plus my time. 2 motors from a Gruman bread type truck.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 09:18:54 AM »

Steve, if it is a bolt on kit go for it I paid $1500 for mine at AIM with the motors ,arms,delay switch and blades.Eagles are not easy to build a wiper setup for but if anyone can it's you
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »

Well ... I made my own elec wipers. I use a single motor with a bellcrank and draglink from one wiper to the other. The motor I used was out a OTR truck and haven't had any problem with them in over 20K miles. There seem to be very little load on the motor, even with the long wiper blades .... a lot less than you would think.
Ron
Blacksheep

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 11:46:16 AM »

I paid 68,000 for mine! They came on the bus! Smiley
BS
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »

HISS HISS or 100 more gallons to go another 800 miles I think I'll travel and listen to the hiss hiss Roll Eyes

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »

Hey Guys,
    I was talking to Dan at Silver Eagle the other day, and He told me of a good deal on a kit they have to change the wipers over to electric on my 5.  It seems as the kit has everything involved except the labor...lol... Have any of you changed your wiper motors over and whats involved???  This kit is less than $500.00.  Does that seem like a fair price for the arms. blades, motors, washer bottle, and controls?  I want to get your opinions before I jump into this. 
Thanks, ...Kentucky Steve .............

Is that per side or for both sides?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
kysteve

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 08:13:39 PM »

Thanks for all the view points there guys,

Jack I am not 100% that it is both sides but I will double check that tomorrow.  If I remember right, Dan said that included both motors so for now I'm saying that is for both sides.  After reading all the responses I have to say that the price is really reasonable.  That has got to be at least half what Eagle has in his.  I am not sure that they have intermitten on them all so.  Will update you tomorrow.

Eagle, I think my dash has collected more dust in my garage than it did in yours...lol....  Cheesy Deb an I will hopefully get back up to your side of the road soon.
kysteve

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »

Jack,

Just talked with Dan and yes that is Both motors, wiring harness, arms, blades. controls, and the washer bottle.   All for $454.95.  From what I see on this thread that's a deal and a half and that's the way I think I will convert mine.  I am not sure what the controls look like but, if I don't like the looks of them when I lay out my cockpit I will integrate a different style into the dash.  Hope this helps any of you guys that are doing the same as I.  I will post an update on my blog spot when I receive them and start to install them.

Thanks again all for your help here......
............Kentucky Steve..........
luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »

Steve, that is a great price I paid 3 times the amount 5 years ago.Dan does have some good prices compared to Jefferson I bought my Eagle smart wheel from him for less than half the price from others
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: