Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 09:59:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing wipers from air to electric?  (Read 4799 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 08:00:58 PM »

When I looked at the options on this I decided that being retired with no time schedual that I would just not drive in the rain Grin  Works for me!!!

Yeah Jim.  Great concept.   Depending on when your bus was last washed, your 'rain-avoidance' program may be risky behaviour.   I've been rained on every time the bus is clean.
I've got the sorry air-push wipers (relatively sorry) and have replaced the drivers side with a rebuilt unit.   The rebuilt unit would stall about every minute or two, and this went on for two seasons...real PITA.  It rained on us almost the whole return trip from Arcadia...and I'm having to park and turn back on the &^%$# wiper motor for 600 miles.  I really don't like air motors!  Wink
This summer, it has started working correctly.   The original pax side air motor has always worked flawlessly...
I'd go with electric, and will...one day.   
Regarding the delay feature, even if the motors don't have a delay, it can be added.   The module can be bought aftermarket or removed from a pickup or any large American vehicle.   You'll need a wiring diagram for the model unit you use if from a donor vehicle.
KY, $500 bucks for both sides with new arms is a deal!  Go for it! 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
kysteve

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 08:28:48 PM »

Good info there JR, thanks.  One of my concerns is to lessen the chance of air line leaks and since the air wipers seem to be a problem area there, I want to take the time to eliminate that now.

Luvrbus, I have talked to Dan about the smart wheel also and would not order mine until I got all my welding done.  I know me and I would have had one of those oh sh** moments while grinding and throwing sparks to the steering column that I just "had" to see mounted in the bus....lol... So I wait and wait and wait .....till I get the welding done.  Getting close now though.  Has your wheel got the wiper controls integrated into it by any chance???

....Thanks Guys....... Kentucky Steve.......
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 04:00:36 AM »

Steve you are good at posting pictures at your site, will these electric windshield wipers fit a lowly Prevost,  and ok, ok  I will ask, what is a Eagle smart wheel!......Steve I was at your site the other day I wish I worked as fast as you do, you are looking good!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
kysteve

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 06:05:31 AM »

Pat, a smart wheel is a steering wheel that has all the controls in the center of the wheel.  If you ever look into getting one make sure to get the new version.  Seems as the first version they had problems with the contacts corroding or something and did an alteration to fix it.  It has been awhile for me now so I cant remember exactly what controls are in the center of the wheel.  Luvrbus could fill us in here.  Tilt telescopic column to boot.

I have the rustbullet on the steel in the rear on the passenger side now and well, its just  Cool now.  The closer I get to being done the faster I move to get the steel done.  Grin  Grin      Looks like things are going pretty dang fast up your way too.  Looking good up there Pat.  I am sure we both know that winters coming  Wink

Thanks .........Kentucky Steve.......

P.s. Not sure about the wipers fitting your Prevost.  If you call Dan in parts at Silvereaglebus I am sure you guys can figure something out.  On the other side though,  I am pretty sure you could modifiy them to work.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:10:35 AM by kysteve » Logged
kysteve

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 04:39:17 PM »

Pat,

Check this out for the smart wheel

http://www.vipwheels.com/PDF%20FILES/OWNERSMANUAL.pdf

Its not just for Eagles

......Kentucky Steve......
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 07:56:10 PM »

Does anyone know where to get parts for those Air-push motors.  The air inlet fitting on ours is broke.  I haven't been able to locate a wholesaler for the parts and a replacement motor from International Bus Parts was over $300.  We'll use super glue first.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
47FLXclipper

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »

check these guys for air wiper repairs - if they're Trico/Folberth anyway .... check local truck repair places for parts/reman units

Bill

1947 Flxible Clipper on Vancouver Island
gus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »

Can't imagine why anyone would want to remove those great, trouble free air wipers??

It sounds to me as if your air connections to the air motor are reversed. One is sir supply and one is exhaust. The problem is that the tubes or hoses are not marked and are often reversed.

When this happens the wipers do all kinds of weird things-like have only two speeds, fast and stop.

When properly connected the wipers have infinite speeds from barely moving to as fast as you want.

From all the posts here it appears to me that going to electrics requires a bunch of bucks and a lot of free time.

For this you get more electrical problems. Electric wipers always pick heavy rain times to blow a fuse or lose the ground connection.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dreamscape

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 03:00:24 AM »

Steve,

I will be looking for your update pics of the electric wipers on your webpage. I'm interested in doing this myself, oneday. Price sure is appealing. Course it doesn't rain too much here in Texas but when it does it's a t**d floater! Wink

Paul
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 07:48:43 AM »

The psheee, psheee, of air wipers is all part of being a bus for me. They are a lot cheaper to fix than change to electric. If I wanted electric wipers, I'd buy a Winnebago! My old bus wouldn't be as much of a bus without the air wipers.
Having said that, I respect anything anybody does to their own bus.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: