Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 02:14:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old Oil Topic Again  (Read 1638 times)
4104bigred

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2006, 05:53:01 AM »

ok guys and gals

While looking for delo 100 locally  I came across a quaker state oil called HDX 40 which according to my buddy, the parts chief for the local truck service company this hdx 40 is all they have ever used for thier DD 2 strokes.the ash content is .95 which is close to delo and lower than shell's 40t

here is a link to the spec sheet

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/QuakerState/EngineOils/pdf/UniversalHDX.pdf

please look this over and let us all know what you think

thanks

chris
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 06:17:51 AM »

One thing I noticed, it mentions Cat, Allison, Cummins and Mack and Ford, but no where does it specifically refer to Detroit Diesel.
We should all remember, the CF-2 classification is for more than just the Detroit two cycles.
Comers, and Bedford engines use it as well as others.

Dallas
4104bigred

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 06:39:39 AM »

Dallas  at least it does mention 2 strokes
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 06:43:03 AM »

My understanding is it just needs to meet or exceed the industry standard CF-2 rating for 40wt oil. If it does, it's ok for the Detroit 2-stroke.

Personally, I wouldn't run Quaker State, Valvoline or Penzoil in anything I own, but that's just my personal neurotics. I know many who wouldn't run anything else.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 06:45:35 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 07:32:17 AM »

I just changed oil and filters in a customers Flxible and he supplied the oil. Pennzoil SAE 40, CF2, Long Life HD Engine Oil. Stock number 3754 for five gallon container.

I checked the Pennzoil site and could not find anything listed there. Anybody know anything about this?
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 07:38:54 AM »

http://www.sopus-staging.com/staging/longlife/site/LongLife.pdf

I still wouldn't put Pennzoil in my engine.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 07:41:30 AM »

Thanks Craig. What is the problem with Pennzoil?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 08:31:35 AM »

Pennzoil is a high parifin oil with relatively low detergints in it.  As example, when I first installed a 289hp in my '63 Ford Falcon, I used Pennzoil 20W-50hp in it.  This engine was pretty wild with mechanical cam, 11 to 1 compression, etc.  By my second oil change, I was noticing soft lite gray deposits in the engine (had to pull the valve covers periodically to adjust the valves-needless to say I run a hydraulic high performance RV cam now).  I then changed to Valvoline 20W-50hp and in two oil changes when I opened the valve covers to adjust the valves again, was clean as a whistle.  Needless to say, 1975 was the last time I used any Pennzoil product.
If the oil says CF-2 and is straight weight, it is good to go for the two strokers.  Unless you're travelling in under 32 degree weather, stay with the 40 weight.  Good Luck, TomC 

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: