Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 10:06:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You knew our trip couldn't end without ONE MORE ESCAPADE! warning: long post  (Read 2652 times)
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »

Well, you just GOTTA know that, knowing us Cheesy, knowing that Larry's had his share of, ahem, mishaps, well, you just GOTTA know that I wasn't going to get off easy without doing something dumb myself!   Undecided

So, as many of you know, I have only a couple of responsibilities on our trips, mainly, I'm the navigator, picking the routes, and I have to keep track of hub meter readings and make sure I don't let Larry run out of fuel, since we don't have a fuel gauge.  That's it.  Everything else is volunteer, we do as we feel, eat where we want to, cook when we want to, pretty much just "go with the flow". . . BUT. . . I can't pick roads that get him stuck or on steep hills, and I CAN'T LET HIM RUN OUT OF FUEL.   Roll Eyes

Well Crap. Cry

So, it's our LAST DAY on the road, we've had a blast the entire trip, it's truly one of those "need to take a vacation to rest from our vacation" type trips  Wink, we've crossed into Oklahoma and pretty much, we're home free.  Well, sort of. . .you see, in my defense, really, it's just doggone hard to know EXACTLY how much a generator uses in fuel, and with our mileage varying from 6.5 to 8 mpg through the history with this coach, and not knowing REALLY how much in the bottom of the tank is really unusable because you can't pick it up with the sending unit (8 gallons it seems), and Flying J fuel stops ONLY being like 100's of miles apart, seriously, it can be hard to know exactly WHEN to stop and get fueled, and well, it's just NOT MY FAULT!!!!!!!   Cry

So, we are tooling along the highway, and all of a sudden we enter this construction zone, you know the type, concrete barriers on one side of you Shocked, flashing cones on the other side  Shocked, no shoulder Sad, single lane Sad, FOR 6 MILES!  All of a sudden, Larry exclaims, "Oh crap!  We're losing power!  I'm running out of fuel!  Either we've got a stopped up fuel filter or WE'VE JUST RUN OUT OF DIESEL!"  and with that last statement, his head swivels my way.  Angry

Obviously, we've got NO TIME to point fingers, do we now Undecided. . our first concern is to get this beast and tow car off the side of the road, and personally, I think we've got to concentrate on that  , rather than concerning ourselves with who could possibly be at fault for THIS situation Huh.  I quickly spy a short little spot where it's obvious the construction trucks have been pulling off the side of the road and I quickly point to it and say, "Stop right there, NOW!"  Larry obediently pulls over into the grass and quickly cuts the engine, which is still rumbling and coughing, and I hit the generator, which is still purring like a kitten.  I'm hoping that THIS is a good sign, praying like heck that it's a stopped up fuel filter, and not that I've figured the genny usage wrong and we are truly out of fuel.  I'm pretty much ALL for the fuel filter idea and prod him to swap those out and we'll just be on our way!  Yep, stupid ole fuel filters. . they stop up ALL of the time don't they. Undecided

About this time, up drives the construction superintendent and he saunters over and asks, "So, having engine problems?Huh"  Larry responds, "Well, we're either have a stopped up filter, (I quickly nodded my head), or we're out of fuel, (head swivels towards me again) but SHE figures the mileage and stuff. . . we're just getting ready to figure it out".  The guy said, "Well, be REALLY careful along side the road here, as it's pretty dangerous!"  He pulls his truck over farther behind our vehicles and leaves it there with the flashers running, just as yet another precaution.

Of course, the fuel filter wrench is on the driver's side of the coach, and there's simply no way that we dare creep down that side of the coach with all of those cars and semis whipping past.  Me, being the helpful co-pilot that I am Cheesy, IMMEDIATELY volunteered that I could climb into the bay on the passenger side, and clamber across the various lawn chairs and paraphernalia and RETRIEVE THAT FUEL FILTER WRENCH!  That's me. . . always willing to go the extra mile!  Cheesy  Uh huh.  Just a helpful, willing, hard-working co-pilot, that's me! Cheesy

In I go, and I'm sure that superintendent had a good laugh over seeing me dive headfirst into that bay Roll Eyes, legs hanging out behind me, and then gradually disappearing from sight as I shinnied my way all the way across and started digging through various boxes and cases until I located the errant filter wrench.  Unfortunately, I located the wrench and when Larry removed the filter and saw it was pretty much empty, well, that proved, beyond a doubt, that, I had indeed FAILED IN MY DUTIES and had yes, run us completely out of fuel.   Cry Embarrassed Cry

Now, perhaps he felt sorry for me by now, or perhaps he admired my "gung-ho attitude" when I dove into that compartment, (most likely he just wanted us out of his hair Wink), anyway, the superintendent immediately stated that he'd get his fuel truck over and get us enough fuel to get us on down the road.  Sure enough, within 10 minutes, he had a tanker truck on site and was dumping fuel into our tank. I meekly approached him and told him that 5 gallons would be WAY more than we needed to get us to a station, because I was SURE a station was just down the road.  He insisted on giving us 30 gallons of diesel, and flat out refused our numerous attempts to pay for the fuel.  A few cranks on the starter and vroom, we were up and running.   Grin

Turns out the Flying J of our intended destination was only 15 miles down the road!  15 Miles!  Angry TWO GALLONS OF FUEL AWAY!  Angry THREE OR FOUR HOURS OF GENERATOR USE! Roll Eyes  15 MILES!  Cry 15 miles and NO ONE WOULD HAVE KNOWN!  Lips Sealed I could have gotten away with it!  Embarrassed TWO LOUSY GALLONS OF DIESEL AND I WOULD HAVE BEEN OFF, SCOTT FREE!  Angry No, in our world, it just doesn't work that way.  Wink Turns out I had figured everything the night before, but neglected to extrapolate the NEXT 18 hrs of generator use, PLUS, the 8 gallons that, remember, sat in the bottom of the tank, unusable, and well, ahem, those darn TWO GALLONS OF FUEL we were short, they sure told a tale on me! 

On the upside, we have GOT to be the luckiest people on the side of this planet, to run out at the perfect spot allowing our new hero to come to our rescue and really, from the time we pulled over to the time we were back rolling was only about 15 minutes or so.  What a great guy!   Grin

Me,  Embarrassedon the other hand. . .well I'm going to lay low for a few days, ok? Embarrassed Cheesy  Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »

Very good, I enjoy some light hearted reading on this site. When you are on the dark side of the moon it warms the heart when an angel comes to your aid. Thanks for the story.....

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 09:45:46 PM »

One good way to prevent this from happening is to install a fuel gauge-I did and am thankful I did.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:17:46 AM »

Christy,
    You should bundle all your traveling adventures into a book. In fact, it could be made into a movie (it would be better than "The Long Long Trailer" with Dezi Arnez & Lucille Ball). Now, who will play the 2 lead characters??  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 06:40:57 AM »

Jack,

Do you think Christy gathered too many ROCKS in the bay "Like Lucy" and used up more fuel they Larry wanted to??

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:48:04 AM »

Great story...Could happen to anyone..lol

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 06:51:02 AM »

Hey, No foul.. The day I took my MC9 home, My wife said I should stop and put some fuel in it just to be safe. I said Nah.. It should have enough...
So after getting stuck in traffic and a rain storm I made it to within 2 miles
of home. Stopped at a light. The road was slanted to the right.

Sputter.. Sputter... Dead Bus blocking one lane...Out of fuel...

Had to call a buddy with a super duty truck to tow me across the intersection to a parking lot. (luckily I still had air pressure) and 50 gallons later I got it running again. Now I stop every 200 miles or 3 hours run time and fuel up.

Lucy & Desi Movie...
In that movie did anyone notice anything unusual about the tongue of the trailer?

It had a nose wheel inside the a-frame..!!!!

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:52:49 AM »

you had said your generator was still running.  I suggest you adjust your generator fuel pickup so it is somehwere between 1/2 and 1/4....then your generator will never run you dry...and will be a huge telltale when you are getting low.

also.......figure your mileage/range based on max fuel consumption

gauges are nice but are not always accurate.
Charles Seaton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 07:14:20 AM »

Great stories. I second the book idea.
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 10:18:01 AM »

My last 2 buses have had gauges. The hardware store sells black plastic pipe that is 1/2 to about 11/2 inc. I4 ft piece will go right down and bump the bottom of the tank with a thumb marking the top it will show a wet fuel mark(unless you have a anti-theft fuel screen). It's call dipping the tank. When my gauge goes to empty there is about 40gal. Sometime I check this way if I'm leaving home when I didn't want to stop and drove in on empty.  Good story Christy, You were blessed not to be stranded for hours taking fuel filters off 30 time and refilling and all the adventures of running out of fuel Blessings
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:28:51 AM »

Great story, glad it worked out so well.  It could happen to anyone!

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »

Thanks, Christi, for 'fessin' up.  That sure takes the pressure off the rest of us for a little while!
Dennis   

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 12:49:50 PM »

I'll bet there are a hundred guys on this board that are saying "Damn, that Larry is one lucky son-of-a-bitch, I wish I had a Christy".  Of course, I'm not one of them you understand.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »

The first weekend I had my MCI-9, Grin I ran out, in the truck stop, 100 yards from the pumps.  Angry Unlike you, I didn't have an angel.  It cost me a 4 hours delay and $200.00 to get it started again.

I fix the sender the next weekend.  Cheesy Plus, my genset runs out of fuel at 1/4 tank.  Smiley

Angel are people that watch over us in times of need.

Let me know when the book comes out.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Dreamscape

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 01:33:42 AM »

Christy,

I can't add any stories of real life to this  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Just tell Larry that someone must have siphoned fuel from your tank, You are off the hook, right?  Grin

Good read, I always enjoy hearing of your Over The Road Tales.

One more thing, I always like to fuel up at one half tank. I don't trust gauges, dipping or even my math. Wink I'm lousy at math anyway.  Cry

Paul
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 06:18:42 AM »

Sorry I haven't been able to write sooner, but leaving for 3 weeks during our busiest time of the year does have it's penalties, and I've been drowned in paperwork and phone calls. 

angel comes to your aid. Thanks for the story.....

You are now my new best friend  Kiss and you are very welcome Cheesy

install a fuel gauge. . . .adjust your generator fuel pickup so it is somehwere between 1/2 and 1/4

Yeah, I know, I know, but then would I have had this good story for you guys?  I'm sure BigBus will get EVERYTHING, and yes, on it, the tube does stop before the bottom of the tank!

You should bundle all your traveling adventures into a book. In fact, it could be made into a movie (it would be better than "The Long Long Trailer" with Dezi Arnez & Lucille Ball). Now, who will play the 2 lead characters??  Jack

Well, actually, I really just thought you guys were all being "nice" about my posts, and of course, Larry, well, he's SUPPOSED to say nice stuff about my writing, but the funniest thing happened.  I had a list of a bunch of e-mail addresses for members of my class, and when I sent the "shreddy the blown tire" story to them, even those "non-bus" people insisted they wanted me to send more stories and write a book.  I've been offered an illustrator, editor and publicist, all members of my very large graduating class, ha ha.  Of course, I told Larry we're going to have to take a LOT more trips before I have enough material for a book, and then as we reviewed our life time together over the last 20+ years, we came to the sad realization that our entire life together is nothing but a conglomeration of hilarious incidents. Huh Grin

As for lead characters. . .hmmm, as much as I'd pick Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, I'm afraid it'd be more likely they use Steven Corel and Kathy Griffin.   Cheesy

Christy gathered too many ROCKS in the bay

haha, well, not that I haven't gathered plenty of junk in the past, actually, Christy forgot to project 15 hrs of genny usage into the future when she did her, ahem,  Embarrassed, calculations. 

Great story...Could happen to anyone..lol

THANK YOU! Kiss

guys on this board that are saying "Damn, that Larry is one lucky son-of-a-bitch, I wish I had a Christy"

Yeah, well, you can be SURE   Wink that's not the thoughts going through his mind as the engine is sputtering and he's eyeing 4 more miles of construction cones in front of him, ha ha.   Cry

I ran out, in the truck stop, 100 yards from the pumps. . .Angel are people that watch over us in times of need

Now, I've got to think that running out that close to the pumps would be more than even I, could bear,  Cheesy

Me, I'm thinking that either our Angel is getting tired, Sad, or he's got QUITE a good sense of humour Cheesy and is just sitting back enjoying the ride! Grin

Just tell Larry that someone must have siphoned fuel from your tank, You are off the hook, right? 

Hey!  Where were you when I needed you?Huh Angry  Man. . why didn't I THINK OF THAT??!?!? Grin

You guys are a hoot!  Love Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Airbag

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 06:50:39 AM »

Christy,

I can't add any stories of real life to this  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Just tell Larry that someone must have siphoned fuel from your tank, You are off the hook, right?  Grin

Good read, I always enjoy hearing of your Over The Road Tales.

One more thing, I always like to fuel up at one half tank. I don't trust gauges, dipping or even my math. Wink I'm lousy at math anyway.  Cry

Paul

Must be something to your logic Paul, for at the bus yard they don't allow us to start our day with less than half a tank. Even though our routes are seldom more than 150 miles long.

Our maintanance super is a real horse's back side, and the last day of the year I was tempted to give him a going away present of a bus on the side of the road completely out of fuel, but I came to my senses.
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 09:19:41 AM »

I found out the hard way that my 4106 with 144 gal tank will not pick up the last 20 gals of fuel, when i had my deisel gen set i set the fuel pick up line about 3/4 of the way down in the tank so that the gen set would stop running before the big engine, but there is nothing like a good ole fuel gauge which i now have
Frank Allen 4106
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: