Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:16:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 55  (Read 3828 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »

The Governor of Virginia has been trying every way he can to come up with some kind of transportation money raising scheme and 55 would be just another attempt to raise more money. They know speeding ticket revenues would skyrocket. I already drive slower because of fuel prices and I donít need the Government to tell me or anyone else to. I am getting sick of being told what I can, and cannot do.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »

I guess it would be safer at 55.  Maybe the law could be no sex while driving over 55 mph.  That would slow lots of people down.  Also, if sex were allowed while driving, people would not be in such a hurry to get where they are going and would naturally driver slower.

- only good for short trips

- more fun to carpool

- new meaning for HOV lane

sorry, couldn't help that. Grin

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 06:05:38 PM »

Yeah, maybe we need a new forum called, "Off Color".

You don't have to believe everything you think.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 07:03:47 PM »

I, for one, always drive in the right hand land and leave the rest for those who believe they own them and them what're in a bigger hurry than me.

I already get 40 MPG in my little Scion...and guess what....they don't laugh at it anymore! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 07:34:49 PM »

.  .  . my little Scion...and guess what....they don't laugh at it anymore! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Bob

Oh yes we do  Grin

& the worst part is that I just might consider getting one  Shocked

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 07:52:08 PM »

55 will make the insurance companys rich and alot of jobs for Police. Its always exciting to have a gun held on you by some kid cop because you were running 58. Cops around here are retiring at around $80,000 a year and I don't want to hire anymore to chase speeders, get out of the way and let the big dogs run.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 07:42:56 AM »

NC  Bob 

I have been over 1,000 miles in my little box on one tank of fuel.
 Maybe that is because every time i go out it has to be pulled back in.

ask captain ron

ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Sojourner

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 07:56:01 AM »

We donít need government controlling what we already know what the cost of using more fuel to get to point A to B.
If anyone want to drive at todayís speed limitÖthat fine if they can afford it or until they run out of extra money to waste. Then they will slow down and fewer repeating trip to grocery store for few items.

In other words, it self disciplined.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:18 AM »

Ned;

Do I feel a story coming on. Is there something you are not telling us.

lol
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 08:43:55 AM »

We donít need government controlling what we already know what the cost of using more fuel to get to point A to B.
If anyone want to drive at todayís speed limitÖthat fine if they can afford it or until they run out of extra money to waste. Then they will slow down and fewer repeating trip to grocery store for few items.

In other words, it self disciplined.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

I agree we don't need the government dictating speed limits for fuel economy.  Sometimes speed is worth the extra fuel. Leave it to the individuals and companies to make that decision. I'm sure that Fedex and P*I*E will come up with different answers as will the family with 6 children on a two week vacation will have a different answer than the retired couple full-timing. We all pays our money and takes our choice's if the government stays out of it.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 08:53:30 AM »

don

have a chance to get my hands on a 6v92 ddec with a broke crank. will it be worth anything. just think what a econoline would be like with that.

ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
bobsw

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 09:49:44 PM »

The sweet speed for my 73 mci7 8-92ta seems to be 65mph. I don't know if their is much difference in milage. When traveling in Calif. with a speed limit of 55 I didn't notice any increase in milage the same 6mpg. Is their any data on 70's vintage buses for fuel milage 55 V 65?

73 MCI-7
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »

dont know the data on busses but both my car and my pickup get the best mileage at around 65-68 mph.
in my car watching the real time mpg if I slow down to 55 on the same highway I lose around 2 mpg. maybe pushing the 55 limit is some polititians way of helping the oil companies now that usage is down. I know it would cost me more.
steve
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 07:40:44 AM »

The fuel mileage indictaor on cars is not actual fuel mileage.  They can't afford to put fuel flow meters in them just for the gee whiz bang.  The fuel mileage shown is just a computed estimate based on throttle position and other engine parameters.  IT may be that the engineers thought / programmed it to show better mileage at the higher speed, but just keep in mind that its not the "actual".

Haivng said that if you have gearing that allows the engine to run at its "sweet spot", maximum torge, then it may very well get better mileage, howver that wind resistance is tough to overcome and most vehicles will get better mileage below 60

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 08:59:56 AM »

The fuel mileage indictaor on cars is not actual fuel mileage.  They can't afford to put fuel flow meters in them just for the gee whiz bang.  The fuel mileage shown is just a computed estimate based on throttle position and other engine parameters.  IT may be that the engineers thought / programmed it to show better mileage at the higher speed, but just keep in mind that its not the "actual".

Haivng said that if you have gearing that allows the engine to run at its "sweet spot", maximum torge, then it may very well get better mileage, howver that wind resistance is tough to overcome and most vehicles will get better mileage below 60

I would think that if the fuel injectors are working properly, the computer would know exactly how much fuel was used based on the injector time on. I know my car's readout matches exactly with the pump over the whole time we have had it & checked.
These new cars are great when working properly . . .  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: