Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 05:18:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not giving up my dream!!!  (Read 802 times)
Texasjack

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2008, 09:49:53 AM »

I've been working on my model 10 for 4 yrs, and dispite cost of fuel, I HOPE I will finish her!
Raised the roof,reskinned, new ft and rear caps, 9 new storm-tite windows,20kw kubota genset, 2 -13500 ac's ( need another), etc....... I guess I'd like to hear some started and finished good enough to travel  stories. I started this when I was 39 and I'd like to finish before I retire!
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »

TJ,

What is the reason you aren't using it now? Sounds like you have the hard stuff done, lot's of folk venture out with a lot less than you've got done. As long as it has a floor to flop a sleeping bag on and it runs halfway decent, drive it, enjoy it and learn from that experience what you need to do next.

But then again, as Fast Fred has been wont to say.... "Do It Your Way"

Dallas
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:14:02 AM »

If you finish it befor you retire, then what will you do??    Use it now, AKA camping in a bus!!
Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »

I'm not letting it slow me down either.  I got my bus in Sept, and I took it for it's first run 2 weeks ago and had a blast!  All the mechanicals work, but I'm still putting in the genset and later this year or next the inverter and batteries and solar panels.  

Dallas, your'e absolutley right!  

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:57:13 AM »

When I got my bus 4 years ago, I used it as a steel tent.  Took it from San Diego to Utah to Washington.  I also went to the Bus gathering at the Caverns.  All I had in it was a mattress.  I had to find places to stop to take showers and use the potty, but it sre was fun.  I did learn alot about what I wanted in the bus, and where I wanted it. So as I've built it, it seems to fit my style pretty well.

I've put over 25k miles on it and I'm still a ways from being done.

The more you use it, the more its motivating to get things finished.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Texasjack

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:47:57 AM »

I live in kinda a remote area, have a monster air compressor on lay away to remove 2 flat tires that have keep me from driving. The big issue I have is finding someone to help me run the rack, ever since I had the jakes put on the upper valve train rattles under throttle until it is warmed up. Then I can finish the floor in the back ,seal the engine cover...........oops there I go again!
Catskinner!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 12:49:38 PM »

Hey Texasjack

Where are you located,  We are having THE TEXAS BUS ROUNDUP

in a couple of months,

Catskinner!
Sonnie Gray
72 0/5 Eagle 3406 Cat
Pottsboro, Texas
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »

It took me 6 years to do my conversion.  I was driving truck at the time and would drive for 9 months and then work on the bus pretty continuously for the other 3 months.  It worked well since I had the bus parked inside a mini warehouse (50 x 27), so when I shut down to go back to work, all I did was to close the doors-when I returned it was like everything was in frozen animation-no worries about crawly things.

While I'm not using the bus as much because of fuel prices, I will still use it at least 3 times this year.  I'm starting on my truck conversion that I anticipate to take about 4 years to do.  But will still have the bus to use in the mean time.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: