Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 05:17:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air horn switch  (Read 5483 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2008, 02:50:32 PM »

I wanted to hook up my MC5a's original air horn.  It is still in the compartment under the driver and it worked when I put some air through it.  I removed the two big horns from the roof since I could not find a line for them and think it may have been abandoned and closed in the last time the ceiling was done.  Anyway, the original will be fine for me.  The dash switch for it leaks.  I tried replacing the "O" rings but I can still blow through it and don't want to waste more effort on it.  So, to get to the point, does anyone know a good source for an air horn switch.  I've got usable air tubes near it, so I do not need to an electric switch and a solenoid.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Sojourner

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:33:56 PM »

http://www.fleetoilandtrucksupply.com/fleetoil/product.asp?dept_id=18&pf_id=262&ad_id=froogle&key_id=AirHornValve1630P

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:38:10 PM »

your Coach's OEm Air Horn Switch was a floor mount
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 04:55:25 PM »

Thanks, Jerry.  That looks like it will do.  It looks like it is meant for a pull chain, but I would just use it as a lever.

Tekebird, I didn't know that.  I just assumed that the air switch on the dash was it.  A foot switch is not a bad idea, but I would probably end up turning on the brights when I need to blow the horn.  Of course, it will likely take me too long to find any switch in an emergency, except for the shut down button which is right in the middle of the instrument panel and is always begging me to push it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:48:40 PM by Lin » Logged

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »

You will not confuse the air horn switch with the hi beam, well you should'nt anyway.  tThe hi beam is controlled with the toe and the horn is controlled with the heel.. FWIW

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »

I am trying to decide which is the best; floor or dash.  Considering I have a Spicer, what would be the scenario in an emergency?  For example, when a situation requires emergency braking, your right foot is on the brake, both hands on the wheel, and left foot on the horn (floor mounted)?  Or is your right hand on the wheel, your left on the horn button, while your left foot is poised on the clutch?  If your trying to down shift, then dealing with the horn would appear to be difficult in either case.  It would seem that having both hands available for handling is a plus, while having the horn button on the dash would make maneuvering less dependable since you would have to be reaching past the wheel with one hand thereby reducing your ability to move it.  I see that the truckers, who should be the standard in things like this, have a pull chain.  That would be better than reaching for a button on the dash.  Of course, most of the time we just use the horn for a warning or to express ourselves gently to others.  In those cases, it hardly matters.

By the way, I sometimes think too much, and I'll probably put the valve where it will take the least labor.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »

Being an old truck driver, I like air horns.  First I have the original electric horn that works with the middle horn button on the steering wheel.  Then I made two sets of air horns.  One is a 17" and 19" dual horn, then I took another one and cut it down to 13" and 15".  Both have individual pull valves with a chain connecting the two so I can either honk them individually or just pull on the middle for all 4 to sound.  Also have an electrically operated train horn by Buell.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »

We also installed 2 pairs of air horns.  We went with electric solenoids and a Double Throw/Center Off switch on the panel to the left of the driver. Pushing the switch up activates the higher toned pair of air horns. Pushing the swith down activates the lower toned pair of air horns. We also have a switch on this panel for the pair of OEM electric horns. Just below the switch panel is a ball valve for our train whistle. The horn buttons in the steering wheel are now labeled FOR EMERGENCY ONLY. Pushing either of these buttons  activates both pair of air horns plus the OEM electric horns. This can be done with the right hand while still contolling the steering. The left hand can reach down and activate the train whistle.  I have never checked, but a total of 4 air horns, 2 electric horns and a 4 note train whistle has got to be up around at least 180 db. 

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »

Thanks Tom and Jack, I now feel terribly horn inadequate, especially considering the hornectomy of the two Grover Organtones from the roof.

Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 12:29:08 PM »

Lin, our 4107 has the original air horn, valve on the floor - left foot.  Since that's also the clutch foot, I couldn't use the air horn when someone pulled in front at an intersection - I was going for the clutch.  On the other hand, air horns are designed for country (road), not city use.  I had a hand for the steering wheel horn button, but our electric horn is pretty wimpy - should be replaced if I can ever find a pair of orignials.  My thought is that I shouldn't be going for the airhorn and the clutch at the same time anyway, if I'm using the horn as a signalling device (rather than expressing my annoyance - even when they deserve it.)   

For some reason (no, I'm not getting old, not me) - I don't remember whether this was ever a problem when I was driving 4905's in service.  It does seem to me that we had two sets of electric horns, with a city/country switch (soft, loud).

Arthur 

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »

Well, I'm going to replace the floor button with a pull chain from the upper left windshield corner with a hand grenade hanging from it; the factory position is the most unnatural place that anyone could have put it. When you need it to attract witnesses just before creaming the dork who just pulled in front of you to make his right turn, you don't want to have to go looking around for it, and having a pineapple hanging from the air valve chain just seems to make it feel more natural.
My two cents.
Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: