Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 06:49:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving force in restoring your bus.  (Read 6938 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 08:29:15 AM »

We had several reasons for doing our own conversion. Fisrt, and most important was that as a Paramedic/Firefighter, I had seen the aftermath of several S&S wrecks. No way I was was going to transport my family in one of those. 
   Another reason was that I have a shop at our house and considered my shop my R&R, especially after a stressful shift at the Fire Department. I would come home, change clothes and go to the shop. Frequently, I would not even stop for lunch, but continue working until my wife got home from work. My work schedule of 24 hours on duty and 48 hours off duty, gave me a lot of days to work on the bus.
    There is also the satisfaction of stepping back at the end of the day and looking at what I had accomplished with my own hands.
    When a task was completed, it was done the way we wanted it and to our standards.  Since we had built it, we knew how it was built and by taking many "in progress" photos and making wiring schematics as we were wiring, we can now make repairs or changes much easier.  This is "Our Way", YMMV  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
cody

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 08:39:18 AM »

Did I mention, insanity? lol  Expiring minds want to know
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 04:40:03 PM »

I think I am with Cody on this one. that and I am too stupid to know I shouldnt be doing this. They always seem to start as "I can just fix this or that and I am ready to go" and end up "while that is apart maybe I should do this too". I am so far in I am now bound and determined to not let stupid thing win. thats where the stupidity and insanity come in.
steve
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »

When I was first married back in 71, my wife Dorothy and I converted a 1955 Ford School bus. We had many happy vacations with it including a trip to Disneyland from our home in British Columbia. Since then we have had our share of Motor homes, trailers and fifth wheels, some still serve as guest suits here on the farm. Our reason for the bus conversion is the quality of the vehicle, built to last, bus tough. No more delam walls and cheap construction. I think it also shows a free spirit. Our four children who traveled all those great miles are on their own now, but I can see the same sparkle in the grand children's eye when we mention a road trip.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
Dreamscape

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 02:22:31 AM »

We bought our Eagle in 2003. I thought to my self "Self, this should be no problem". Well here it is 2008 and I'm still working on it.  Roll Eyes My only wish is this, I waited too long in life to realize my dream. I enjoy tinkering and turning it into what we like. It has been a huge learning curve, but the people that I have met and made friends with along the way is Sooooo Worth It.  Wink

Even if it takes me several more years to finish almost finish it, (Yeah Right), I'm glad I took on this project. That's why they call us Bus Nuts! Roll Eyes What a journey we have been on, I just hope it's a long time before we reach the destination.

I applaud those of you who have torn your bus down to the frame and rebuild it from the ground up. My hats off to you. I really enjoy seeing the craftsmanship that you share with us.

Paul

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 08:12:32 AM »

Back from another few days on the road in the bus and I see this thread.
When I saw the '57 Courier 96 in the Trader classifieds 4 years ago, I went to see it and knew right away I had to have it. I used to drive it in the '70s at Brewster's out of Banff. We had 6 or 8 of them that were used locally in Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Calgary and Edmonton for Grayline tours, and to take skiers to the ski hills in the winter. Mine, no 9, had a low speed rear end in the winter to shuttle up and down the Sunshine ski area road near Banff, and highway gears for  summer. When they were sold in '77, I thought they would make a nice motor home... and forgot about it.
It was converted in '77 by a Rick Mundy in the Okanagan (BC), then sold to Aaron Remke of Summerland, BC who sold it to us.
We used it as is right away the first summer. All the way down to Fort Worth, Tx for a horse show my wife was showing at.
I redid the interior that winter in a 1950s theme.
The following winter, I added a turbo charger to the 4-71 DD, and that made a great improvement, I keep up to traffic now!
The great thing for me is the nostalgia factor. It brings back all the memories... I went back to original at the front with the driver's seat, passenger seat, modesty panels, etc.
I spend a lot of time maintaining and fixing things at home, (and sometimes on the road), but I enjoy it. This winter I plan on pulling the engine and trans to clean up a couple of oil leaks that bug me. I might overhaul it too... or get it done: I don't know if I have the courage to get into that myself, I'm only a half a mechanic.
We go all over the place with it all summer. Everywhere, people wave, give us thumbs up, come over to see it and ask questions. It draws a lot of attention. That gives me a lot of motivation to keep it going.
We have met so many great other bus nuts this way, great people.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 10:14:48 AM »

1st there is safety. Then, after 30+ years with my beautiful bride, there are 4 little words she utters that drives the constantly changing, rebuilding, and redoing of our 4104 as well as everything else in our life...   "I don't like that"   ...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
kysteve

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 01:46:25 PM »

Bus crazy,

I will tell you and try to keep it short, Grin .  Deb and I are Nascar fans and go to several races a year.  So that's where the s/s came in.   We would take our s/s to the races and be sitting around and she would be oohing and ahing at all the nice buses at the tracks and she just have that look in her eye when she would  look at them.  Then one day a couple of years ago I ran across the bno board while surfing one night.  Boy did that ever get the blood running thru my veins.   All of a sudden I thought.......I can make my dearest darlings dream come true.  So all of a sudden I told Deb of this and she said yea, yea, yea.  Then a couple of months go by and I said Deb, I just bought a bus and I have to go to Charlotte and look her over.  Now she's jumping up and down I'll tell you.  When the land-all rolled up at the shop she was laughing and smiling like a 10 year old.  It didn't make any difference to her what the old bus looked like, as she is one of the few people that know me well enough to know what the bus was going to look like when I get done with it.   Well, knowing all that I will answer your question.  What is my driving force???  Plain and simple ........LOVE......... Embarrassed Embarrassed  Yea yea I know but I cant help it.  We are truly sole mates, you know where we finish each others sentences and read each others thoughts.  I can't tell you the times when I have had my cell phone in my hand fix-in to dial Deb when yep, she's calling me.   The driving force.........Deb works 2ND shift at a blood lab which leaves me all alone in the back yard with the  bus every evening and since, I know Deb is thinking about me working on the bus and wondering what I am getting done, well that = driving force.   I would like to deliver my loves dream to her before I leave this earth and I just cant get it done quick enough.  Its funny, since we only really cross fiscal paths on the weekends Deb will come out to the bus and just walk around it letting her hand glide along the freshly painted steel and just be smiling from ear to ear.  I know shes touching it, to make sure she not dreaming.   Driving force is that smile and wanting to see it as we tour America and visit the race tracks and knowing she will be living her dream. Wink

............Kentucky Steve............
luvrbus

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 02:05:16 PM »

Steve you are the man along with Gary L that wants his bus finshed not only for his self but his grand daughter.
BusCrazyinFL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 03:06:22 PM »

KySteve,  I'm a NASCAR fan too. I was looking at your web site and that is why I started this post. I was so intrigued by what goes through someones mind to take on a project like that, but I guess for you it is love, LOL. Hey if you ever come to FL let us know...we have a few bus nuts here. Keep up the good work. How about that #18, LOL 
gm4106

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 03:09:08 PM »

I'll just say I'm a BUSAHHOLIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GM PD4106-1689 8V71TA  V730
Mount Holly,NC
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 05:03:03 PM »

Myself its mostly about driving. From racing circle cars to driving truck I just love to drive. A bus is heavy equipment. Its made like a truck, it will always bring you home. I love the way my bus drives, the strongest wind or slickest road doesn't faze it.

The kids and grandkids call our Eagle, "The Daddy Express" so named by my youngest daughter when she was 3 or 4. (It takes her where she wants to go)! She is 9 now and expects her coast to coast and border to border excursions as routine. She is one of eight. I built short bunks for some of the kids (3 on one side) and now the grandkids have claimed those bunks. You can't get them to come out! The kids have been asked so many times if we are a band that they are offering my autograph for $10!

Having a bus is special and adds to the enjoyment of every day. We bussed  to the air show at McCord AFB this weekend. It was hot. We got VIP treatment as in a great parking spot on the taxi way by the main runway, but alot of people walked some distance. I could see most of the little kids coming by needed water so my bus contributed from its cargo bay supply and maybe did some good. A bus gives you options.

My German Shepard loves the bus so much he almost wets his pants trying to get aboard anytime I walk in the bus direction. Lucky for him, its ready to roll. He also proved himself faster than the 357 again this weekend. I think I will just call it the dog bus.

Whats not to like about having a bus?

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
BusCrazyinFL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 05:23:08 PM »

I would like to hear more of you guys Driving Force, also some pics thanks.
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »

My driving force is the man that drives our bus, that fixes engine problems, that does interior work and best of all....does all the cooking.  Dallas.  He loves buses so much and it makes him really happy to live in one.  He also loves being so mobile.  We travel around looking for work, which is scarce right now but because of this he was able to do some much needed interior work on our bus and also repair a couple of bay floors.  He really wants to head to the pacific northwest, where he was raised and we both love but because my parents are elderly and my disabled brother lives with them, he has put that desire in the background for me.  There are times when I long for the house with the white picket fence but when you have a spouse that you love as much as we love each other you both do what you can to make the other one happy. I do get angry at people that tell me,"we need to get you out of that bus" because I am happy in my bus and when we travel, we don't even have to pack everything 'cause it's already packed and crammed into every inch of the bus. As long as Dallas wants to live in a bus, I'm ready to be there with him.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
van

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 08:13:33 AM »

At first it was a dream,but now it is sheer determination to follow thru .Buying a bus is not the same as buying a used car,the principle is the same but a whole lot more involving than a car .I myself have jumped into the pool feet first(so I thought),but ended up hittin the water belly first .Now that I have collected myself after the imense impact of goin in virtually blind,I have developed an imense feeling about having somthing we can be proud of .WE love traveling and meeting new like minded people,I have owned an Rv before and compare the two as being a house of cards verses a house of steel.Any one can perchase a prefab home on wheels if thats what suits ya,but I have to have some thing that is an extension of my very being.Prefab seems to boring and shallow to me,maybe it's because I have been in tanks most of my carreer in the military that makes me feel secure or because I am an artist and need a strong canvis to create on(probably both),I just cant be creative on an rv thats ready made.good luck

Van
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: