Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 03:24:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving force in restoring your bus.  (Read 6944 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »

Having been a bus/motorcoach driver, seen the RV's blow around in the wind, bouncing down the highway, seen how close the weight out the door is to the chassis rating, tried to sit in a class C with no adjustments on the seat so the counter behind could be pushed that last 2 inches forward, looked inside and underneath every RV at the show and found nothing but poor fit and finish... glue guns, scrap lumber, chipboard, holes made with hammers instead of drills, massive depreciation after sale, nothing in the RV magazine but dear old people complimenting the dealer that re-laminated the sides of their 2 year old RV, smiling all the way to the bank....

Well, I says to myself, if it is going to be poor in the fit and finish, I might as well be the constructor for the savings, and I already know how it will go down the road.

As for staying motivated, surf the web for pictures, get out to rallys, even in the car with tent if you have to, keep up with your busnut friends, or into the doldrums you WILL go, and you are at risk of getting disinterested.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 11:48:35 AM »

Hello:
   Did you ever have someone tell you that you that you could not do something?   Well   I have; and taking on a bus and converting it,  repowering it; and and and and...    well   guess what   I can...   
     Regards   and   happy bussin.
     Mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
skipn

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »

My old class C was/is on its final legs from all those years of pulling a 4 horse trailer.
 Changing out the transmission every 3 years yadda yadda. In trying to find a replacement
 it became evedent that it would take a lot of money to buy a class A that would handle
 what I needed. I was checking ebay daily for that certain class A when I saw a old eagle
 conversion.......that was it I was hooked. Research here and all sorts of places and finally
 bought one. Wife thought I was nuts but then I have always been kind of quirky and who
 knows maybe this would be a good hobbie for me. Now it is darn when are you going to get
 time to work on the bus we need to go and do something fun.............not getting any younger:)

Skip
cody

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 12:20:47 PM »

I guess I'm going to be the odd man out here and not talk about doing it my way or my usual plea of insanity.  My dream has always been to travel and see what was over the next hill and meet new people, that has been my dream since I was a teenager somewhat over 3 weeks ago lol. Well life happened and along came my wife, then 2 kids, the career and all the happy things that go with it, on march 17 2000, that all came apart with a diagnosis of parkinsons that was internalized which was explained to me to mean it was attacking my heart and internal organs.  Now I had to decide what to do about it, I worked until november 26th and found I could no longer trust myself around convicts, medical retirement happened that day.  Three years later I had the money to buy my bus and we did, somewhat later on we had it far enough to enjoy and hit the road to see what was over that hill.  To make a long story short, we've met a lot of great people, I've seen over the hill and had my first severe heart attack, hopefully I'll be blessed with some more time to see a few more hills, there you have my motivation and what was behind it.  If the good Lord is willing I'll be able to see over a few more hills, meet some more new people and maybe at some point I can make somebodys day a little nicer just like my busnut friends made mine.
captain ron

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »

My driving force is to get my bus looking good is to try and get laid  Grin  Or some times I'm bored and need something to do. I seem to only work on it in spirts.
Blacksheep

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 01:06:53 PM »

Let me say this and once again I'll probably end up getting banned but

Charlie, don't know you and you might be a real funny guy in person but was THAT comment REALLY REALLY necessary?

I mean if you counting on a polished bus to land you a woman, isn't that reaching?

Ace
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »

I think it is for the satisfaction of doing your way I would never do it, I have a friend that paid $11,000 for a bus and then spent $65,000 on building to work on the bus that is $76,000 he could have bought a nice bus for that price and he is doing his way it is going to be beautiful in 3 or 4 years and with his budget of $200,000
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:34:31 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
captain ron

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »

"Charley" not "Charlie"

Necessary? Is any of this Really Really necessary?

Don't be stupid I don't just use my polished bus to land me a woman. I also use alcohol.

Charlie, don't know you

Ace

Never stopped you before so why stop now?
Let me add these icons so you or anybody else don't get the wrong impression  Grin   Cheesy   Wink   Smiley     
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 01:43:08 PM »

We didn't build ours from scratch so perhaps I don't understand that portion of the insanity but I think I actually understand it really well. 

We bought a bus because I wanted 24" rubber, industrial strength driveline and suspension and a chassis that would outlast me.  We had 3 different 5th wheels - the last one was presumably a pretty high end unit - and none of them were built to the kind of standards that I was comfortable with.  We used those 5th wheels hard and we planned to use the bus hard when we got it.  I just checked and we're bumping up against 70,000 km in 4 years so we've burned our share of non-renewable energy. 

We bought a bus that somebody else had done most of the work on because I'm cheap.  Those of you that are doing your own thing have my utmost admiration and respect but you will never get back the cash cost that you put into your busses, let alone get paid for any of your labour.  And that's fine if you want to do the work and like doing it your way then good on ya.  We wanted to use the bus and we wanted to use it immediately.  We've had no shortage of opportunities to work on the bus and as fast as I check something off the list it seems like two more things get added so it looks like we will be able to continue working on it.  But in the meantime we are travelling which is why we wanted it in the first place.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »

My driving force is to get my bus looking good is to try and get laid  Grin 

All this time I thought it was quantity that counted . . . .   Wink

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 03:00:32 PM »

oh dear....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
cody

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 04:11:57 PM »

My wife and daughter are members here, this is the first time I've ever been ashamed to see them reading posts, I'm sorry.  I realize that it's all in fun but what happened to good taste.
captain ron

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 04:45:26 PM »

Every body is so self righteous on here. There is nothing distasteful about what I said and I'm sure both your wife and daughter have been exposed to worse things than this. If that is too rough for the majority of you I will quit this board like I did the other and not return. censorship is as bad as loosing your right to bear arms. lighten up or I'll gladly leave.
cody

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »

I wasn't aware that good taste was concidered censorship, there is a time and a place for all things, would you concider that appropriate for a church or a school?  I guess I'm old fashioned but I just don't go out of my way to offend people in a public forum, I out grew that back in grade school, again, I apologize for my old fashioned ways and if the majority of the board members feel that that was in good taste and appropriate for the readership we have here, then I'll leave.  I guess I've just gotten used to seeing a higher standard of decorum here.
luvrbus

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »

man I hope no one starts a poll about this
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: