Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 01:20:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for volunteers to browse forum for Wiki topics  (Read 3351 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« on: July 25, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »

I need some help if you have a little time to spend browsing old posts in the forum.

To get the new Bus Conversion Wiki started, I'd like to capture as much as possible of the incredible wisdom already deep in the forum.  This requires browsing all the threads.  So far I have found that I can do about 150-200 threads per hour (depending on how fascinated I get with topics).  If you can help with this, please pick a thread group (listed below) and reply to this thread with which group you'll take.  You might be amazed at the wealth of information you discover/rediscover as you go.

For more info on what the Bus Conversion Wiki is:  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=8906.0

What we're looking for specifically are threads that:

• have detailed information on how to do something.
  • have a thorough answer to a frequently asked question.
  • adequately define a term or concept.
  • correctly explain how some part/system works.
  • provide name/contact info for a supplier.
  • tell the story of someone's conversion project (especially with pics).
  • has photos of specific parts and the thread identifies them.
  • story of a specific bus model or brand (i.e. Futureliner).

Create a document in your favorite text program (notepad, Word, etc.) to collect the address of each thread you find that fits the criteria or you otherwise think is a good candidate.  When you have spare time and browse, keep that document open.  When you find something type a few word description of it on your collection document, press enter and then,

• if the whole thread is the source, copy/paste the content of the browser's address bar over to the collection document.
  • if only a specific post within the thread is of interest, right click that post's title and choose "copy shortcut" and paste that into the collection document.

Since you probably won't be doing a whole group at one sitting, when you stop, paste the address of the last thread you looked at on the bottom of your list so it will be easy to pick back up where you left off.  When you finish a group, copy and paste the links from your collection page onto a reply to the Wiki Suggestions thread:  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=8906.msg88717#new

Topic Groups

Group #
First ThreadLast ThreadPerson Browsing

Board Help SectionAllHighTechRedneck
Beginning of All Topics SectionAll Topics Thread #999HighTechRedneck
All Topics Thread #1000All Topics Thread #1499Lee Bradley
All Topics Thread #1500All Topics Thread #1999HighTechRedneck
All Topics Thread #2000All Topics Thread #2499Available
All Topics Thread #2500All Topics Thread #2999Lee Bradley
All Topics Thread #3000All Topics Thread #3499Available
All Topics Thread #3500All Topics Thread #3999Available
All Topics Thread #4000All Topics Thread #4499Available
All Topics Thread #4500All Topics Thread #4999Available
All Topics Thread #5000All Topics Thread #5499Available
All Topics Thread #5500All Topics Thread #5999Available
All Topics Thread #6000All Topics Thread #6499Sammy
All Topics Thread #6500All Topics Thread #6999Available
All Topics Thread #7000All Topics Thread #7499Available
All Topics Thread #7500All Topics Thread #7999Available
All Topics Thread #8000All Topics Thread #8499Available
All Topics Thread #8500]All Topics Thread #8999Available
All Topics Thread #9000All Topics Thread #9499Available
All Topics Thread #9500All Topics Thread #9999Available
All Topics Thread #10000CurrentAvailable

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 05:44:59 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 11:28:17 PM »

Below is a detailed how to guide on how this is done.  It is specifically for group 9, but the technique is the same for any group.  Only the group number and starting/ending points change.  The starting point for any group is the link for that group under the column "First Thread" in the post above this one.  Likewise the ending point is the post noted by the link under "Last Thread".

The following is VERY step by step detailed.  Don't let the length of it intimidate, it is only long because I tried to cover every thing click by click.  The process is actually very simple once you step through once or twice.

First review, and maybe print out the list of criteria we're looking for listed in this post:  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=9014.msg89386#msg89386

Next, create a document to collect the addresses for the threads you find.

• Open Notepad.  If you are using Windows XP, it should be found by going to the Start Button > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad.
  • From file menu, Save As then save it somewhere convenient to you (i.e. Desktop).  Name it anything that makes sense to you. Keep it open anytime you are doing this browsing of the forum.

Then click the following link to get started: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4000

That thread is borderline of worth noting, but given the volume of stuff we'll be finding, I think we'll pass on that thread.  In the address bar of your browser (reference attached image addressbar.jpg), change the topic # to 4001 and press enter.   Topic 4002 has some interesting PEX tips.  That has an interesting piece of fact so we'll take it:

• Refer to attached photo "CopyPostTitleShortcut.jpg"
  • Right click on the title of the first post that is pertinent, in this case the second one in the thread. (this won't always be the case because of the way some threads wander topics) From the popup menu choose "Copy Shortcut".
  • Switch to the Notepad document window on our computer.
  • Type a brief description of what you found.  In this case "Tips for using PEX" and press Enter.
  • Paste the link you copied by right clicking on the new line and choose "Paste".
  • Press Enter.

This will create an entry on your link collection document that will look something like this:

Code:
Tips for using PEX
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4002.msg36261#msg36261

Then return to the forum post, increment the topic in the address bar.

When there is a multipage thread it getís a little more complex.  Follow normal navigation within the thread.  When done with that thread, delete all of the address past the topic # and increment the topic number by one.  For example:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4002.15  would be changed to:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4003

That's all there is to it.

Whenever you stop for the day/session, copy the shortcut for a topic heading on the last thread you looked at and paste it at the bottom of your Notepad document.  This will give you a place to start back up from next time you do some more on it.  When you start up again, delete that link using the delete key or backspacing over it.

When you reach this thread:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4499  You are done with that group.  Just email me the document with the links to what you found.

That completes Group 9.  If you enjoyed it and have more time you are welcome to select another available group.  PM or email me to let me know the group number and then follow the same routine using the link for that group under the "First Thread" column as your starting point.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:10:49 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:32:42 PM »

Several busnuts are spending what time they can on finding the hidden treasures of knowledge buried in the forum.  But there are many threads in the forum to go through and so few volunteers. 

If you think you might be able to spend 30 minutes to an hour a week for the next few weeks browsing a specific group of forum threads, you could be a big help to the busnut community.

I would especially encourage new busnuts or soon to be busnuts to consider this.  Besides helping the busnut community, you will find a lot valuable knowledge that will help you in your bus.

So if you think you can help us out, read through the first and second posts in this thread, select an available group to work on and let me know so I can mark it taken.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:34:13 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »

Status update. 

The wiki will be ready to start entering content soon.  A small group of volunteers have been spending what time they can on finding threads.  But we still have a lot of very valuable knowledge buried in the forum and need more volunteers. 

An hour a week spent sequentially browsing forum threads can result in a great contribution to the busnut community and it is very simple to do.  If you think you can help us out, please review the first two posts in this thread.  From the first post in this thread, choose a group of threads to review and let me know by PM or email.  I'll put you on the roster so we don't end up going over the same threads.

If you have the time, join us in finding the golden nuggets of bus nut knowledge that is contained in the forum.  Bus Nuts will benefit for many years to come. This is going to be great!
Dreamscape

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 02:54:31 PM »

Hi Mike,

I will take threads #7000-7499.

If I understand, you just want it broken down to subjects, correct? Of course only what is pertinent, right?

Like this, topic is air dryer, then list all the threads relevant to that topic. Then if there is a supplier, address, etc.. then you would list that separately?

Just trying to get some understanding on how you want it done.

Paul

Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »

HI Mike, I'll give it a try.
Can you send me instructions by e-mail ?, something I can print out and use to get started.
I have Microsoft Word 2003, will that work for my new homework assignment?  Smiley
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »

Hi Mike,

I will take threads #7000-7499.

If I understand, you just want it broken down to subjects, correct? Of course only what is pertinent, right?

Like this, topic is air dryer, then list all the threads relevant to that topic. Then if there is a supplier, address, etc.. then you would list that separately?

Just trying to get some understanding on how you want it done.

Paul

Thanks Paul!  I put you down for 7000-7499.

Grouping by subject is optional but is a great help for me if you choose to group them as you described.  If not grouped, that is fine too, just a few words to identify the topic of each link is ok too.

When looking through threads, I've found many that wandered.  In some cases the thread started out with the helpful topic.  In which case, you can copy the thread address from the browser's address bar or from the first post's title.  Other threads drift into something good.  In those cases, right click on the heading of the applicable post and choose "copy shortcut" and paste that onto your document.

Definitely review the second post in this thread on how to navigate one thread to the next numerically.  If you have any questions just let me know.

I appreciate everyone's help with this project.  The bus conversion wiki is going to be a huge benefit to all busnuts!
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »

HI Mike, I'll give it a try.
Can you send me instructions by e-mail ?, something I can print out and use to get started.
I have Microsoft Word 2003, will that work for my new homework assignment?  Smiley

Sammy, thanks for giving it a try.  I know it sounds kind of tedious, but it's actually kind of enjoyable.  And for me it has been quite educational.

What group would you like?  (The list is in the first post of this thread.)

Word 2003 is fine.  In case anybody is using a newer version of Word, please save it to Word 2003 or earlier format. (2003 is what I have).

Sammy, I'll email you the printable instructions.
Dreamscape

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:58:05 AM »

I have been able to go through about 160 threads, and I have learned so much by going through them.

Even found a few threads that brought a smile to my face.

It would be a great experience for anyone, even newbies.

So come on guys, help out the bus community by offering some of your time. It doesn't take that long if you do some everyday. Shoot I waste that much time watching TV! Grin

Mike is doing a great job, but it could be even better when the WiKi is finished.

Remember it is for our benefit! Wink

Paul
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »

I am working on my second set and must say it is enlightening just how much information is on this board. Our members would probably find less than half of that information because of the titles. Titles that are misleading to begin with or the thread went in a different direction. If you can make the time to help on this project, it will be helpfull to everyone but it is fun going the board's history one thread at a time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: