Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 05:26:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 120v main or sub panel in bus  (Read 1006 times)
twragg

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2008, 01:07:29 AM »

Huh Undecided What is the correct choice for the breaker panel(s) in a bus? My Onan generator has a main breaker mounted on it.  Campgrounds have breakers right next to their plugs.  Is it correct to use a Main Lug load center, or must I use a Main Circuit Breaker load center?  It seems to me that using a main lug type should be OK because both 120v sources are breaker protected.  If the generator didn't have the breaker on it then I would have to use a main breaker load center.  Please help I am really over thinking this! Thanks, Tom
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:58:25 AM »

I used a standard Square D 100 amp panel in mine. The shore power & gen set both run to the transfer switch assembly, transfer switch assembly to the input of the panel, and everything else from there, including the inverter. it's more complicated then that but that is the simplified version. One of these days I am going to put together a diagram of the system & post it like Dallas asked me to. FWIW, we have been "camping" out on a piece on land we were going to buy for 3 months with no problems.

HTH

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »

Since our Main  and Sub (inverter) panel are inside the bus, we wanted a way to quickly kill all power if necessary from inside the bus.  We installed a main panel with a 50 amp main breaker. Our generator has breakers in it also, but is not as readily avalable as our main panel.   Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:53:49 PM »

All my electric service is inside.  I have three square D panels I bought from Home Depot.  First is a box with 4 50 amp breakers-2 for shore power and 2 for generator with a plate that slides between the two so only two can work at a time.  The next panel is the main circuit box for most items except for inverter.  One of the circuits from the main box is a 30 amp going to/through the inverter to the third circuit breaker box for all items powered by the inverter.  Simple, a bit bulky though, but can get circuit breakers most anywhere.  In 12 years, only replaced the 2 50 amp for the generator.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »

I have main breaker by my generator, by the shore power input, to and from the inverter and on the main panel as well.  The ones near the shore power input only turn off the hot wires, and they need to be able to turn off the hots and the neutral both in case shore power is wired wrong.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: