Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 29, 2014, 12:28:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping in rest areas???  (Read 12507 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:28:14 PM »

Is it legal??  Just curious. I know truckers can but I'm thinking we may be an exception.
Why I ask is because when we plan our trip (Batesville IN. to Boone IA.) we may want to do it in two stages but don't really want to find a campground.
What would you suggest?
   Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »

In my experience it varies by state.  Some let you stay up to 8 hours, others 6, even saw one that restricted it to 2 hours.  If they have limits it will say so on the signs posted around the parking areas.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »

Depends upon the state.  We have done it several times.  We have stayed in a rest stop in WV and IN.  SD rest stops are overnight friendly.  We have stayed in more truck stops than rest stops as they are easier and safer.  We just try and stay out of the real busy truck stops so the truckers have some where to stay.  It is easier the further west you go to find a free place to stay.  We typically never pay to stay over night on our trips out west.  Go to Camping World and pick up a book titled "Free and low cost campgrounds of the west".  This is an invaluable guide for finding cheap and free places to stay the night.  You shouldn't need to pay for an overnight stop with the right planning and resources.  Are you going through MN at all?
luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 06:37:59 PM »

Chaz we it do all the time some states have specials locations at the rest area for RVs. I have been told more than once that the limit signs were placed to keep folks from setting up camp.We have never even had a problem in CA in the rest areas spending the night your tax dollars, help build them and they are for tired and weary travers
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 06:42:40 PM by luvrbus » Logged
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:42:51 PM »

Two words: Camp Wallymart

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »

Chaz, if you happen to  find yourself on Interstate 10 on the east Mississippi Gulf Coast, try to make it happen when you need to stop for the night.

The rest area there has indiviual pull outs for RV's that have trees and bushes between you and the departing traffic. It's a really nice spot to overnight.

Jay
87 SaftLIner

On The High Plains of Colorado
CindyandJohn

1989 Eagle Model 15 6V92

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »

Chaz,

Don't overlook the fact that many Wal-Marts allow overnight stays. I have used this resource on many occasions. Many of them are so close to the main highways that it is easy to get to them. I have used this website on many occasions to help me plan overnight stops:

http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations-map.htm

It posts many wal-marts and their policy on overnight stays. Hope this helps.

John

Will be away from our bus for a while Sad
Dallas

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:00:23 PM »

Chaz,

It looks most likely your route will be I-70, to I-74 through Indiana and Illinois.

At Bloomington, Il there are a number of truck stops that will welcome you.

If you want to drive farther, head on west to Walcott, Ia on I-80.

At Walcott are a number of truck stops and other places to park. One that may interest you is the "Iowa 80" TA truck stop. Lot's and lots of antique cars trucks and machinery along with a chrome store, parts store and tourist stuff. You'll be really glad you stopped there.

Bloomington is about 240 miles
Exit 160, I-74 and I-55

Walcott is about 390 miles
Exit 284 on I-80

and
Boone, your destination is about 600.

Dallas
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:00:19 PM »

I agree, Wal-marts are plentiful, easy to get to, and it saves a restocking stop.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:01:12 PM »

Chaz,

I stop in rest areas for an overnight at least once on every trip.

I have never had a problem.

I usually park at the last spot and leave the ones closer to the rest area to the working folks(truckers)

Good for them and I get less in and out traffic while I am resting.

Jay is right about those I-10 rest areas in Ole Miss, rally nice.......

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »

If the truckers will sleep there, then it'll be good for a busnut.

Illuminated.

Not those dark little scenic look outs, or the ones with no toilet.

No tip outs, or camping. Park, sleep, drive away, and you'll be fine.

Stay out of the way of the trucks. Park centred in the spots, squared up and neat, don't block the spot next to you with sloppy parking, don't get dragged with a trailer. Seen too many campers park too far forward, inviting a rub by a 53 footer.

Use your good sence.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »

most of the time it is a non issue, even if posted.  if questioned state that you were tired and needed a rest, which is the purpose of the facility.

besides rest stops:

Wallmarts in most areas
Cracker Barrels...roll in after closing and join them for breakfast.
    Cracker Barrells all have RV parking and are withing sight of the exit
Truckstops ( some now require fuel purchases)
Flying J's all invite overnight parking
     I think  now days you can go anywhere in the country and be able to stay at Flying J's
     Theya re clean, generally have the lowest exit proximity fuel prices,
      They have Wi Fi, Well Lit RV Areas away from truckers so it's more quite,
       Most have dump facilities

I have owned a Myself for more than 8 years now and have never stayed in a campground
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 01:59:18 AM »

www.freecampgrounds.com  Works well for me. Proper preparation prevents poor performance....Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 01:22:14 PM »

It's been my (non-scientific) observation that the rest areas approaching a city seem to have the most trucks.  My guess is that they got near the city early and are waiting for their delivery stops to open.

FWIW
Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 04:13:53 PM »

It's been my (non-scientific) observation that the rest areas approaching a city seem to have the most trucks.  My guess is that they got near the city early and are waiting for their delivery stops to open.

And our equally non-scientific observation has been that truck stops tend to cluster.  You'll a bunch of them close together and then go a long way looking for the next one.  When you find the next one though there will be a bunch of them again.  Wally Marts on the other hand tend to be spread out evenly along the route and usually are relatively easy access on the outskirts of a community. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: