Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 01:30:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some bad news about my bus today.....  (Read 2327 times)
NCbob

« on: June 14, 2006, 07:36:44 AM »

I just spoke with my mechanic and he told me that, aside from having the wrong clutch and flywheel on my engine...the input shaft for the 4 speed Spicer is virtually unusable.  MC5A w/8V71 DD..NA.

Dallas and I were kicking around, in the Chat Room (PLUG) the idea of changing to a 9 or 10 Speed R/Ranger and a twin Disk Clutch.  Has anyone changed out the Spicer to another type of Manual in a 5?

I just want to stay with stirring well, while driving.  Don't like Auto's.  Too many problems and restrictions.

Advice, please?

NCbob
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:05:13 AM »

Bob,
I've never done it but anything CAN be done! I totally understand and agree on automatics, however when using the bus as a charter unit with the possibility of "non gear chang'n drivers" I've learned to except automatics and in the case of my Setra  (8V92 DDEC/HT748) I actually enjoy it! Our MCI has the HT740 and even though it's supposed to be the sme as the 748 without the electronics, for some reason I just don't like the feel of it! But after being around the HT740's for quite some time now I can assure you they are one well built, and reliable transmission! I've seen them take yers of abuse and neglect and still hold up! FWIW! BK
Smiley Wink Cheesy We gonna Party at the "TN Fall Bus Bash" at Knuckle's  Roll Eyes Cool Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 11:57:36 AM »

The critical thing on the MC-5 is length between engine and drop box. If you put in a shorter engine you would have more options. Any retrofit that you have done by a commercial shop is going to be expensive. There must be lots of take-out transmissions and clutch assemblies lying around where people have changed to automatic. Good luck with your choice.
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:01:51 PM »

Give Paul Meza and Dennis a call at Valley truck in Fresno.  800-598-5715 They are basically a gigantic truck wrecking yard that has turned into a massive rebuilding facility, and they seem to know everything about what will hook to what.  (and they probaly stock it at very good prices)
  I had a 4spd Spicer on my Crown that with Paul's help I changed over to a twin disc clutch and a 9 speed roadranger.  It wasn't all that difficult... a Lipe twin disc clutch kit, redrill the flywheel to accomodate it, and bolt er up.  Driveshaft had to be shortened 'cause the roadranger is longer, and the shift mechanism needed a change but that was about all.  Between Paul and Dennis up there, they can answer pretty much all your questions, and supply you all the parts...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
NCbob

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 03:18:57 PM »

That was the bad news I didn't need...but do appreciate your efforts. Grin 

The Jury's in.  The verdict is:  OJ killed his wife....NO I didn't mean that (although perhaps he did) Huh

We're going to re-build the 17" clutch with the proper springs for the torque of the engine and pray that it lasts the rest of my life.  Some guys want their wives to drive the bus....I've got a cell phone!

I don't want her fooling around with my bus!  If I'm in trouble....call 9-11 and bury me and the bus side-by-side! Wink

NCbob
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »

Bob-sounds like a prime time to change to a 6V-92TA with the HT740 transmission.  Imagine going from 318hp (if you have N65 injectors) and 800lb/ft of torque to 350hp and 1050lb/ft of torque with the rocket acceleration of the Allison Automatic?  With the lightness of the MC5, it would accelerate like a car and be a whole bunch of fun to drive.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 05:16:34 PM »

Then he would have install bigger brakes to haul that rocket to a stop.

The biggest problem that I have witnessed in trying to change from a 4 speed with two shift rails to
a 9 speed with 3 shifter postions is that unless you can find the right top adapter kit for the tranny
you can't usually make a 2-rail shift tower work correctly. I got so frustrated with trying that on the
scenicruiser PD4501 that I had that I sold it for scrap price.

Pulling the Spicer 4 speed and replacing it with the Fuller takes a lot of refitting, I used a 14" dual-disc
ceramic clutch which bolted directly to the existing 8V71 flywheel but the base housing on the back of
the 8V71 was too shallow to allow the stock Fuller to bolt up without crushing the clutch-brake and bearings.
It needed another 1 1/4 inch spacer to allow it all to fit properly and I couldn't locate a spacer.

The shift linkage was another royal engineering pain. I tried to find one of the cable operated shifter-tops
for the fuller but had no luck as they were only used on the old style cabover internationals and some peterbuilts
years back and none of the truck salvage places had seen any in years.

If I could have found the cable-top shifter
then buying a 38 foot cable with shift tower was going to be an issue. They make one for European sales but
not in the U.S. and wouldn't even consider importing one for me. I seem to remember that it was Teleflex/Morse
that had the part listing for that.

It's really an odd situation when you try to get stuff to work and the manufacturers don't want to sell you stuff
they market in other countries even though it's made here....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 05:50:41 PM »

Tom I do not think the 6V92 with the HT 740 will fit in the 5A, unless there is more room than the 5C?
                                                                                      Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: