Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 08:26:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As usual........  (Read 10003 times)
mc8 tin tent

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 07:39:57 PM »

Chaz

Sorry to hear of your bus problems .
We made it to the show Saturday  ,looked for ya(no luck) !!! an now we know the rest the rest of the story. I wanted to talk to you about and look at your  corn heaters (contact me off board ). Anyway if we could have found you we would be glad to help you kick some gremlin butt!!!!!!!!
hang in there
 Dwayne
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 08:31:18 PM »

I guess I shouldn't leave this thread with that final thought, but I just can't really explain the stress I feel and I'd rather not sound like a cry baby. (My definition of a "cry baby" is someone who pisses and moans but doesn't do anything to help themselves.) I'm not one and I'm not the best at dealing with those who are. (so fair is fair, I'll hold it in the best I can) But i did want to say thanx for all the help I have gotten and especially all the well wishing. It means allot to me...it really does.

My problem lies with that I do work allot and when an event comes up that I REALLY want to go to, and can envision how TOTALLY cool it would/could be with my coach, and then I have to work even harder to make it happen, and then when it gets here and it's going to help relieve some of the stress (I'm hoping) bummer stuff happens and the whole thing basically stresses me even further!  It just doesn't seem worth it. Actually, I guess it isn't, as I have a bit of a problem with stress anyway. (I'm also told, I now have High Blood Pressure! OH JOY!!) But that is neither here nor there. This is a bus site. Back to the bus................

I did get two more wheels and 2 good Michelins (1 for a spare) for the wheel issue. I also have my bus at the mechanics for him to go over. (compression, injectors, cylinder inspection, etc) We talked about the "getting hot over 55 mph" and the only thing that makes sense is the water pump. Albeit, as I understand, they are almost bullet proof.

Here's the deal: On the road, when it got up to the hot range, I pulled it over and infra-red shot it and the temps ranged from the 200* in the inlet to as low as 137* at the bottom. And it's my understanding there shouldn't be but a 10 to 15 degree change. So it seems the water is staying in the radiator too long and cooling down substantially, but not moving into the engine fast enough to cool it. (just my theory) He is also going to be checking that also.

Then, I also have the bay/bulkhead damage to straighten out. Not really bad, just a hassle. It did cause a little warp in the side of the bus, but I think that will come out when I jack it up and straighten it all out. God, at least I hope so. If not.................. just shoot me now.

Then after I get it all straightened and figured out and know just what's what, I'm afraid she will have to go. I'll be filling you all in so you will know just what I have. And if you think for the most "minutest of seconds" that it doesn't go absolutely 100% against the way I am, you're kidding yourself. I am having a hard time accepting it, but a couple of my friends - as well as Linda - think that is what I need to do. (I F***ING hate it!! sorry.) I KEEP things!!!!!!! I hate selling anything!!! Especially, something like this that I can get soooooo creative with on so many levels!! I still just think they are so cool. (preaching to the choir - I know)
But then Linda probably has an alterior motive in her wanting to see it go.............she doesn't like camping, if that is even what you call it. (camping to me is more of a tent thing, ya know?) She prefers room service. She deals with it pretty good and doesn't give me grief, but........ you know.

Anyway, I'm done bitchin now. Altho I will still be around awhile - if it's ok and I'm not like "black balled " or something now - to get a little more help for my ol'girl.

And ABOVE ALL, I wish I could adequetly express how much all the help and encouragement, you guys have given freely,means to me. I really do. Without you guys I would have NEVER gotten as far as I did. At least you all helped me  get to realize the dream I had, albeit short. When she was running good, cruisin down the road, it was just soooooo cool. Hell, I'm preachin to the choir again. You all know what i mean. 

Ok so, when I get her back, I'll let ya all know what's up. But from what he said, it may take him awhile as he is going to try to fit me in here and there. He is rather busy right now, but trying to do me a "solid". he's agood dude.

Time to go horizontal for the night.
   Chaz

(hope this isn't too much of a bummer post. I know "positive experience posts" are a helluvallot funner.)

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »

Chaz,

I think a bus is like any other vehcle, in that when you get a new to you, old one, there are just a lot of things to iron out.  As an owner of cool old vehicles, I thihnk you know what I'm tlaking about.  The bus is just bigger and the stakes aer higher, especially when your sanity, free time etc are somewhat dependant on it.

You can and will over come, but you're not done yet.... Shocked)  But when you do, it will be very sweet.

We're all rooting for you!

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 08:53:06 PM »

X2 give it some time all those creative ideas can't go to waste!  Just don't get in the have to have it right now mind set.  A bus is a piece of heavy equipment (old heavy equipment) it just needs more love than most things to get its groove on.  I have to try and make a living off of equipment that is much crankier than a bus could ever hope to be.  Although even though I'm a young buck compared to most on the board I tend to be a creative road side mechanic and I'm not afraid of much the bus can throw at me.  Just relax and try not to make up your mind just yet.  Your bus force is strong don't give up just yet.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 09:18:49 PM »

These buses were not really designed with easy one-man maintenance in mind.  They are, in some sense, a bit of overkill for what most of us use them for.  But that said, they crush all RV competition.  We just returned from a week's "camping trip" (I'm with you,  this is not camping).  We were at a membership park that must have had hundreds of RV's of every type there including some expensive looking diesel pushers.  But I can tell you without a doubt that our 1965 MC5a was the coolest thing I saw.  Everything else looked like it was machine stamped into existence.  Right now, we are not having any real problems so life is good.  I'm sure there will come a time when things begin to go wrong and I will feel like you do.

I think that Q-500 has a good point.  If you decide that you must do everything at once, it becomes a nightmare.  I like tinkering with the bus, but I hate it when I have to do it or have a deadline.  So keep it around for a while, work on it at a pace the gives you pleasure, and use it when you feel good about using it.  The value is not going to drop substantially in the next couple of months, so what harm is there in having a hobby.  I always tell myself that at the very worst it's a guest house.  My wife also prefers hotels to RV'ing, but she prefers RV'ing to nothing.  We get away more this way than we would otherwise.  Further, merely because you own a bus, does not mean you can't go to a hotel also.  You can do each separately, or mix the trip with a day or so in a hotel on the way back.  So, do what' best for you.  There is no right answer.  This can be somewhat of an insane hobby.  On the other hand, you can get a lot of creative pleasure from it if you keep your expectations within reason.  If your making it into a second job, it won't be worth it. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »

It sounds like you are going to spend some money and time to fix it right. You know already that now is a terrible time to sell, so why not sit on it instead of possibly loosing your shirt, and maybe even use it here and there until more favorable selling conditions exits. Who knows, if that goes well you could be back to your old happy bus self. Nevertheless, we will sorrowfully understand if you have to let her go.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Dreamscape

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 04:00:53 AM »

Just so you know you are not alone!

My Father-in-law drove up in his pickup yesterday and said "lets go down and look at the barn." He had been telling me of this big barn down the road for a long time. His neighbor is not using it. Because I am close to the prime/paint stage he would like me to get the bus out of the weather to finish my project. In his shop the tail end sits outside. So I am very happy and grateful for his help. After looking at the barn I think it will hold 10 buses, it's huge. He said "Enough room for ya?", and laughed.

I was thrilled and thought I should go ahead and move her because it's looks dark and nasty out. Finally looks like we are getting some much needed rain.

I pick up all of my tools and procede to crank the ole trusty DD up...........

I went to start the bus after cooking my batts for a couple of days.........NOTHING BUT CLICKS......I even had more than 14 volts going to the starter..........I left my bat cables hooked up while on was working in Europe, and just had the switch turned off.......Not a wise decision I found out.......

I pulled the starter....that bugger is heavy.....cleaned the connections and gave it a whirl....NOTHING but a hum...... Cry

I took the starter down to a shop to have it looked over. My solenoid is fried....I got it back from him late yesterday all cleaned and fixed.....Even though I thought my batts were OK he seems to think that I have one or both bad. Under load they would just not give enough juice to crank. This is what he thinks fried the solenoid, too low a voltage. These g31's are two years old, bought them in California before moving to Texas. Interstate brand, he says Interstate is not a good battery, won't last long in the heat. Hot in Texas this year! Go figure! Wink

I had the starter rebuilt in California about 4 years ago. Twice now I have had to manhandle that thing! Angry

I'll run down to Sam's Club and buy a couple of g31's, install the starter and I'll bet she fires without a problem.

Aren't these beasts fun? Grin

I know you are frustrated with your bus. It's like any other old vehicle except they are much bigger and more costly. Sit on your desire to sell it for a while. After you get the things fixed you mentioned you might fall in love all over again.

Just take it out for a spin and smile, you'll see. Smiley

Good Luck,

Paul

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 05:14:37 AM »

Don't let others pressure you into a rushed decision.

Ask them to back off & let YOU sort it all out. If you decide to keep her, fine. If you decide to part ways, also fine (the bus, that is  Wink ).

If you have a place to park it for a while, that'd be my suggestion to allow things to come together inside your head so you can form a plan to attain your goal of using your bus in your work travels (which most here believe is a good idea.)

Good luck!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 06:10:01 AM »

Chaz,
   I agree with the rest. The main thing is to give yourself some time to reason out all your thoughts before making a final decision. Of course, almost everyone here would say "Keep the Bus", but only you know all the factors involved and only you can make that decision.  Regardless of what that decision is, you are always welcome here. You will not be "black balled".  Heck, this BB would be more boring without colorful writers such as you.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Catskinner!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 06:26:09 AM »

Chaz

THESE OLD BUSSES ARE KINDA LIKE WOMEN,

YOU JUST HAVE TO LOVE THEM TO KEEP THEM

AROUND.

Catskinner!
Sonnie & Patti Gray
72 0/5 Eagle 3406 Cat
Pottsboro, Texas

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 06:43:40 AM »

I have a suggestion for anyone dealing with a spouse that prefers motels/hotels.  Next time you check into one and sit down on the bed, innocently ponder out loud, "I wonder how many people have had sex on this bedspread since the last time it was washed?"  That should about do it I would think.

And if they think the blanket and bedspread gets changed each time, suggest watching housekeeping work the next day.  You will see the housekeepers hauling lots of sheets to their laundry, but not many blankets and bedspreads.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 06:52:55 AM »

Chaz

THESE OLD BUSSES ARE KINDA LIKE WOMEN,

YOU JUST HAVE TO LOVE THEM TO KEEP THEM

AROUND.

Catskinner!
Sonnie & Patti Gray
72 0/5 Eagle 3406 Cat
Pottsboro, Texas

I thought they weren't like women:  Roll Eyes
Mine stays where I left it. - The bus, that is.  Shocked
I like the whine comming from the bus.  Cool
The bus isn't worried about weight.  Cool

& best of all,
The bus is cheaper!  Cool  Shocked
 Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

I have a suggestion for anyone dealing with a spouse that prefers motels/hotels.  Next time you . . . .

Next time you check out, leave something behind (of hers, of course)  Grin
OR, about an hour down the road, start worring about all the stuff you are 'sure' you forgot about & left behind. . . .  Grin Grin Grin

That forgetting stuff is what helped win mine over to taking our own bed with us.
Having instant toilet access didn't hurt either  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
JeffsMagicBus
Is That A School Bus...

1970 Blue Bird Wanderlodge

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 07:10:57 AM »

Hello!
 My first coach was a '54 PD-4104 and it had a 6-71 and a manual tranny. I swore I'd never have another crash box tranny and I hated her from day one! Ornery, cantankerous old fart! That thing would never start and it never started for me one time without jumping it off! I couldn't afford a Mirage so I get the next best thing, an MCI! I know it's not good for them to sit around but I've let her sit for six months, pushed the button and it was running before I even had the button pressed all the way down. It could sit for a year and it would fire right up! Of course you'd have to shot "Jimmy" with a 44 Magnum to stop him from "Screaming"! It only has 48K miles which has a little to do with it I guess. I just keep the main switch off when it is not running. I serviced the batteries last year and haven't touched them as I haven't had to. I did buy a 24 volt heavy duty smart charger off eBay from a boat owner who never used it. It cost about $500.00 or more and I got it for like $75.00!
 Bye! Smiley

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 07:20:11 AM by JeffsMagicBus » Logged

WD4IHS Smiley
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 08:49:02 AM »

Hello!
 I couldn't afford a Mirage so I get the next best thing, an MCI! 

I feel so insulted!!!  I could afford a Mirage but I wanted the   "BEST"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:51:40 AM by jjrbus » Logged

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 09:35:08 AM »

Just adding another comment.  This deals with a negative aspect of human nature.  Even if you decide to get rid of the bus, be careful how and when you do it.  Be aware that when you get an idea in the future, someone will say, "Why that's a dumb idea.  It's just like the time you bought that bus you had to get rid of."  I have found that even loved ones are not above using your past against you in a heated argument. 

I am not saying to keep it if you don't want it, just be really graceful and creative in its moving on.  Maybe make it seem like it was a real money maker or something.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: