Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 08:01:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When reframing for new windows?  (Read 629 times)
johnjem
http://photobucket.com/johnsgmc4905

1970 gmc 4905

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »

When u re-frame in new penn or stormtight windows what do u use for metal what size tube steel?I  plan on useing stock height on a 4905 side window but what to use on the sides?i am going to try to do this without stripping the complete inside and also laying new fiberglass over all the side windows?the new windows should accept a verity of different thickness right? john4905

Never stop thinking,it"s what keeps us going till tomorrow
http://photobucket.com/johnsgmc4905
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »

The size metal depends on what size was used to frame the wall initially.  The steel used by Dina was 2" so I used 1"x2" tubular steel to frame in the new windows before I covered the entire side with my sheet material.  I didn't go very heavy gauge steel because the framing is only holding the windows.

You need to know how thick your wall will be including the exterior fiberglass and the interior finish before you order the windows.  The interior flange that holds the window on is custom made to the thickness of your walls.  I know Motion (Penninsula) does this and I am pretty sure Stormtite does too.

I changed my interior material slightly and may have to put a thin rubber shim under the flange to get it pulled up tight now.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: