Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 26, 2018, 08:06:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 871 leaks totally stopped. Good News and Bad News!  (Read 1171 times)
GM0406

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »

Well the good news is that there are no more black spots on our driveway.  The bad news is that I have an Allison Trans leak!  So out of two coaches, I have two with transmission leaks.  But this Allison is evidently leaking more than I suspected.  With the previous DD black oil leaking, the trans leak was hidden in the black oil on the pavement.  Now that the engine is tight with no leaks, the trans leak is evident.  We don't use this coach enough to check the trans oil very often.  But locally at Royal Coach, they put 2 gallons in it one time.  I thought someone forgot to fill it.  I didn't notice any leaks that were red on the ground and just thought all oil leaking was from the engine!!!   Grin  Boy, the stuff you can think yourself into is amazing!  Anyway it is somewhere way up in there and I am going to have to see if Royal will put her up on their hoists to find out where this leak is.  I looked at the torque converter bell housing and it doesn't look like there is any leak there.  So I am hoping it is a line or something that doesn't take $$$$$$$$  Cry  in repairs!  Will let you all know when we find the leak.  Oh, and the engine leak on my 871 was the mounting plate for the alternator that was cracked clear through.  I was almost sure the trans would have to come out to fix the leak, and was very much releived to see that removal of the alternator and some pumps with replacement of the cracked plate, sealed her up completely!!  My tolerance for leaks is "0".  I have been very impressed with the mechanics at Bay Cities and they really scored a big one by fixing the 871.  If I can just get past these trans. leaks, life will be good.  Bill T.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 08:54:30 PM »

i leave blackspots constantly and was told it was a mark of a detriot.  your saying it is possible to cure all leaks???

i see some leakage by the exhaust, the oilpan, the alternator and my toad has a black, greasy spoiler below the bumper (from leaks on the bus).

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
GM0406

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:27:53 PM »

What I can positively state is that I drove the '06 about 15 miles from the repair shop to my home.  There was absolutely no engine oil leak in that distance.  This would have been impossible before she came out of that shop!  The 671 in my '04 didn't leak before it went in for a crankshaft change, and did not leak after.  As noted in previous posts, I am now waging war on transmission oil leaks on both coaches.  If I ever see another engine oil leak on either of these coaches, check here, as I will immediately report same.  We are hellbent to cut any fuel usage we can and that goes for any oil consumption as well!  Bill T.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:18:53 AM »

One leak that was driving me crazy was the V730 external trans filter.  It is the old style that is a canister type that you have to take off the bus to rebuild with new O rings.  I replaced the filter and didn't replace the top O ring-not good.  Yesterday took it off the bus again and replaced the O ring at the top and siliconed the bottom nut.  Seems not to be leaking after a 10 mile drive. It is a bugger to get the leaks stopped with all the oil lines and such.  The trans is tight-just wish the engine was also.  Now feel I'm ready to leave Wed night to drive through the Mojave desert to Mammoth.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: