Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 02:11:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Troubleshooting start problem  (Read 4204 times)
Sojourner

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 08:49:51 AM »

All solenoid/starter combination is lever/linkage design. The only way the starter to energize is by solenoid’s contacts. Also solenoid pulls the lever to slide the bendix drive into ring gear. You will never have close circuit until the bendix drive is fully engaged. In other words, no starter will spin or cranking until first bendix drive is engaged before the solenoid’s contact is closed to energize starter motor.

Read the “Electric starter”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_self_starter
Read the paragraph “A freewheel assembly……” under “Uses” subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freewheel

Attachment of the cross-section of a Delco solenoid/lever with motor.

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

PS…Hopefully the storm will be a mild one. I will be praying for things to be safe and secured for everyone through this storm.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »

On following your suggestions and muddleing with this as best I can, I could not find a problem. I pulled the starter and took it to the local shop for further testing. 
 They hooked up power to the starter and on the first test it made a "clunk" sound and did notheing! This is the second time I have found "the" problem.
 A complete rebuild is $260, I told them to go ahead and do It, I can pick it up tomorrow, if the shop is still there after Fay goes through Grin   Will keep you posted.  Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »

Sounds like a solenoid failure.   GM style solenoids get old and that's how they act.  Often hitting the button repeatedly will result in starting. 
There a big plated washer on the end of the solenoid plunger that closes the battery main to the starter motor when it pulls all the way in.  If the washer/contactor is burnt, it'll pull in but the motor may not turn, or the starter may not turn at starting speed. 
On the brighter side, if you keep "finding" the "problem", you're gonna get it fixed sooner or later...if it takes every dollar you got!  Wink
Good luck, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Sojourner

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »

I am @$# u me ing  that becuse the starter is attempting to start, ie the bendix is wrinnnninnnnn spinning. That the fuel pressure switch is good Huh
Mean bad bendix drive.

They hooked up power to the starter and on the first test it made a "clunk" sound and did notheing! This is the second time I have found "the" problem.

Mean solenoid's relay contact is worn out to a point partial or no contact.

Usually if one thing is worn out mean the rest of the starter/solenoid needs to be completely rebuild.

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Dallas

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 03:20:45 PM »

This is off topic, but, ...

ROAD SIDE FIX...

Turn the washer in the solenoid around... it will give you a clean slate to start from.

Dallas
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »

I have indeed had the situation on my 4104 where low voltage would allow the starter to spin but not fast enough to engage the Bendix.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dreamscape

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 06:27:28 PM »

I just had my starter gone through, bad solenoid, $119 total price. Could have happened because of low voltage, as my batts were in sad shape. Got the starter repaired, new batts and she fired right up! That is the second time I have done this in 5 years. Them suckers are HEAVY! I need to invest in a battery minder, or whatever you call it.  Grin

Hope yours is fixed and ready to make that diesel rumble.

Paul
gus

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 07:23:48 PM »

Jim,

It isn't clear, was the solenoid still on the starter when it was tested? If so the problem still could be the solenoid.

Paul,

I solved the heavy battery problem by going to two Group 31s to replace the monster 8Ds. I only used two but three will easily fit into the one 8D space. I live in a mild climate so I only need two. Cold climates probably call for three or four G31s. This also gave me space for more house batteries, a very nice setup.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 07:34:18 PM »

Yes solenoid was still on starter.   They will probobly reverse copper washer and charge me $260!!! This is Floida ya know.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

gus

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 08:08:44 PM »

Well, at least you will have an overhauled starter (Maybe?) that you won't have to worry about for a while!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dreamscape

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 03:23:57 AM »

Jim,

It isn't clear, was the solenoid still on the starter when it was tested? If so the problem still could be the solenoid.

Paul,

I solved the heavy battery problem by going to two Group 31s to replace the monster 8Ds. I only used two but three will easily fit into the one 8D space. I live in a mild climate so I only need two. Cold climates probably call for three or four G31s. This also gave me space for more house batteries, a very nice setup.
Gus,

That is exactly what I did several years ago, replace two dead and tired 8D's with two group 31's. Much easier to handle too!

Paul

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:05:57 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: