Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 04:02:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New member- Just bought a bus  (Read 3556 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 06:01:30 AM »

now is it more efficient to buy a diesel generator and run that 24/7, or buy batteries that charge when you are in motion, and then draw from them when you are parked.

also, entertainer coaches that run generators 24/7....do those generators provide power as well for items such as lights and other small things that don't really draw much power....or is literally everything hooked up to those generators

-peach
Without going into all the numbers, you couldn't carry enough batteries to run the air for more than an hour or so without the engine running.  A good quality diesel generator is the only practical way to go.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 06:07:59 AM »

now is it more efficient to buy a diesel generator and run that 24/7, or buy batteries that charge when you are in motion, and then draw from them when you are parked.
also, entertainer coaches that run generators 24/7....do those generators provide power as well for items such as lights and other small things that don't really draw much power....or is literally everything hooked up to those generators
-peach

This varies. I have driven entertainer coaches that relied strictly on the generator for all conversion electric including lights, TVs, stoves, AC, etc. I have also driven entertainers that had inverter/chargers and battery banks that powered all small loads and only relied on the generator to charge the batteries (when the bus engine is not running) and for providing power to larger items such as ACs and stove.  Some of the coaches use 12 volt lighting, some used 120 volt lighting, and some used a combination of 12 & 120 volt lights (combination is best in my opinion).  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 08:08:07 AM »

Hi Peach,

Welcome!

Your bus needs to be set up for your groups needs and not other's needs. Or, you may find yourself spending lots of unnessary $$$.

A good referance to follow would be how entertainer coaches needs are met.

A big genset is important when sitting in a parking lot for a few days at a gig.

If you need help with the installation and hardware, please feel free to call me.

Good Luck
Nick-
609-263-2296

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 08:51:46 AM »

Thank you guys so much for your help. 

Nick, I will be definitely be giving you a call for some advice down the road.  I'm from the Flemington area. Right now I am flying out to pick up the bus in missouri on friday,  and we leave for tour at the end of the month.  With alot on my plate, i probably wont be getting into much besides building temporary bunks for this tour.  We get back in early october so i plan on doing a major overhaul then.

Peach

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 08:53:18 AM »

Thank you guys so much for your help. 

Nick, I will be definitely be giving you a call for some advice down the road.  I'm from the Flemington area. Right now I am flying out to pick up the bus in missouri on friday,  and we leave for tour at the end of the month.  With alot on my plate, i probably wont be getting into much besides building temporary bunks for this tour.  We get back in early october so i plan on doing a major overhaul then.

Peach

Peach where at in Misery are ya picking up yer bus? Just curious. Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 09:43:59 AM »

bernie

Veggie Oil Conversion

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 10:04:20 AM »

bernie

Wow cool that is only about 62 miles as the crow flies from me, by crossing the Hickman ferry. (not highly rec comended in a bus, unless you are used to it!) or about 102 miles by HWY!
Your more than welcome to swing by if ya want. Be glad to look it over for ya. Where ya flying into? Someone picking you up? Renting a car? Again just curious and looking to see if theres anyway we can be of help! Feel free to call!
Grin  BK  Grin

Info is on website or in profile!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:05:54 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »

Bryce,

I appreciate your offer a ton.  I may end up taking you up on that.  I will let you know as soon as possible...i thought i would be flying out this friday but some work is still being done to the bus so i'm not sure when it will be done.  Being i have a 2 day drive back home, and a festival in north carolina we are playing on the 21st which is another 1 day drive, everything is being cut super close.  however, if i have some spare time i would love to stop by and chat.

How much would you charge for looking over the bus?

Peach

Veggie Oil Conversion

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 08:13:13 PM »

Bryce,

I appreciate your offer a ton.  I may end up taking you up on that.  I will let you know as soon as possible...i thought i would be flying out this friday but some work is still being done to the bus so i'm not sure when it will be done.  Being i have a 2 day drive back home, and a festival in north carolina we are playing on the 21st which is another 1 day drive, everything is being cut super close.  however, if i have some spare time i would love to stop by and chat.

Peach

HELLO Peach!!  Shocked   May I ax where in NC you have a 'festival' gig on the 21st?  What sort of music do you play? 
Always interested in music and buses!   
Attending music thingies is about all we do with our bus...
BTW, Bryce would be an excellent choice to look at your bus.  He knows his....stuff. 
As is offered to all busnuts peoples, if you find yourself in  the Charlotte, NC area, I've got a place to park, or make repairs.   Should you need such... Huh
Ya'll check out that bus carefully.   Expect to pay for a good bit of diesel fuel.  Unless you're signed up for one of the WVO co-ops, you ain't going to find enough WVO in developed areas (some of the South is pretty developed, and most WVO tanks are now locked up for obvious reasons) to power your generator, notwithstanding your traction motor.   
Forget running exotic batteries and fancy inverters, etc... for a band bus.  As has been stated, expect to run the genset, enjoy the AC, and budget about a gallon an hour for the pleasure.   Almost all entertainers run the genset 24/7 while the bus is in use during hot weather.  You may beat this in the fall and winter, but not during summer weather. 
If your bus doesn't have a genset, Nick will fix you up.  There is no less expensive method to survive in a band bus.  The 'white noise' generated by generators soothes edgy people too.   Wink
Not to seem negative, but do you plan to insure your bus as an RV or private coach?  If so, be careful with signage, and merchandising from the coach.  This is a complicated issue rife with pitfalls.  Does your 'driver' have a CDL with a pax endorsement?   
If not registered as  commercial, treat the bus as you would your parents RV...assumning you borrowed same for a road trip.   Be careful! 
Don't drive into weigh stations...should the urge strike you.  Busses do not do weigh stations.
If you sell one CD from the coach, it is considered a 'commercial' vehicle and subject to apportioned registration ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$), requiring commercial insurance ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). 
Both DOT and the tax guys will rip you on these issues if anything happens that gets their attention. 
Be certain that the bus is serviced and roadworthy. 
While I'm being negative... Embarrassed, if you're not familiar with using WVO, be advised, NEVER shut the bus or genset down while running on WVO.   If you do so, fire it back up and run diesel fuel thru the system.   Otherwise, you  ain't gonna start either engine once it cools. 

Good luck, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

Hey man,

The festival is in Pilot Moutain.  We are very much so on the heavy side and are a christian band as well.  www.myspace.com/iamalphaandomega  in case you want to check out some loud music with lots of screaming  Tongue

We are not signed up for any WVO coops, but i'm sure if we show up to a resturant even that has a contract, the right manager on duty and being super nice may cause them to make some exceptions :-)  Our tour dates will be done at the end of this week as well, so i will begin calling ahead of time to try to arrange WVO pickups as well.

We plan on registering it as an RV, and the driver does not have a CDL.

Which actually leads me to another question....what are the ups and downs to this?  Last I heard from a friend who used to drive trucks is that having a CDL could be a bad thing, being that lets say something happens, even if it is not your fault, since you have a CDL alot of things would be, as you are regarded as having a higher standard of training and should have avoided the incident.

No merchandising from the coach will be done.  It will be used strictly as transportation.  Now if we by any chance do happen to sell something out of our trailer....is that considered the coach as well?

Veggie Oil Conversion

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 09:47:17 PM »

Bryce,

Peach

Peach just let me know if I can be of any assistance and when! As far as giving the bus a good ene to end & bottom to top look over..... Well let me just say that'd be my gift to you busnut to busnut! Now if it needs any repairs then we talk $. Now rest assured I ain't gonna get into your pocket, before warining ya what ya looking at. Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 05:42:49 AM »

We plan on registering it as an RV, and the driver does not have a CDL.
     No merchandising from the coach will be done.  It will be used strictly as transportation.  Now if we by any chance do happen to sell something out of our trailer....is that considered the coach as well?

Don't have the bus lettered with your band name. A friend did that with his Eagle.  Lonesome Whistle Band was put on the back of the bus.  He got stopped on the PA Turnpike and asked for a CDL. He explained that it was a family band, all on board were immediate family. Officer asked if they had any Cd's for sale on the Bus?  He said "of course, every band carries Cd's".  Officer gave him a warning and told him to be sure and get a CDL when he got home to GA.  They no longer have any lettering on the outside of their coach. 
   Insurance could be a sticky subject if you are involved in an accident and insurance company finds the bus was used as a band bus.  Only you can decide if if it worth the chance.  Jack

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 06:47:44 AM »

we sell at shows, but there is nothing on the side of the bus.  we pull an express van that does have magnetic signs.  we try to remember to pull them off but we've never been stopped.  i think the pennsylvania cop was having a quiet day and needed someone to hassle for a minute.
insurance is another issue.  i think i posted some comments earlier on what to watch.

our earlier RV was listed in company name, had lettering on the side with the phone number, and we sold right out of it under the awning.  our current bus is in my name, leased to the company, and we use it the same way.  no lettering on the side, though.  and i made sure the insurance agent knows full well how it's used.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 11:18:14 AM »

Our band is not registered as a business at this point....would that still be considered a 'band bus' then, or would they more look at it like a group of friends that drive around in a bus

Veggie Oil Conversion

JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 12:55:03 PM »

If there are no signs on the outside and bus is registered as a motorhome in an individuals name, probably never be a problem. As you said, without lettering, it is a privately owned RV and it is jsut a group of friends traveling together. Make sure it is registered as a motorhome/RV with DMV. If it is registered as a bus, that can change everything.  Jack

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: