Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 02:33:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: air leak or normal sound  (Read 2586 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »

had all zerts greased last year, about 8000 mi ago, by the neighbor farmer's grandson who's taking diesel mechanics.   Smiley

Undecided more often?

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 07:14:20 PM »

had all zerts greased last year, about 8000 mi ago, by the neighbor farmer's grandson who's taking diesel mechanics.   Smiley
 Undecided more often?

Yes! Atleast once or trice a yr! (depending on how many miles you run!) And every 3-4,000 miles the whole thing should be lubed! JMHOFWIW! (add $5 and you'll have enough for a gallon of fuel!)  Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »

uh-oh.  i guess this shows ignorance again???  sorry guys, i just didn't read that manual front to back.  thanks for the heads up bk and lvrbus.

Tom

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 07:04:33 AM »

On my first truck with the 8V-92TA-I would lube the chassis at oil change time which was every 10,000 miles.  But would lube the the king pins 2 times inbetween since I didn't have power steering.  With my present truck, I just lubed and changed the oil at 12,000 mile intervals and was enough since I replaced my first U joint at 800,000 miles.  My king pins would last 500,000 miles.  It's amazing how long chassis components will last if you just grease them.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 09:07:10 AM »

On my first truck with the 8V-92TA-I would lube the chassis at oil change time which was every 10,000 miles.  But would lube the the king pins 2 times inbetween since I didn't have power steering.  With my present truck, I just lubed and changed the oil at 12,000 mile intervals and was enough since I replaced my first U joint at 800,000 miles.  My king pins would last 500,000 miles.  It's amazing how long chassis components will last if you just grease them.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom on my trucks (all had either 60 series or CAT's) I did oil changes at 12,000 and did complete chassis lubes (trk & trlr) every 4,000 hardly ever had problems. Can't ever replacing a U-joint in one (not one I personally maintained anyway), I did have a U-joint go out on one trk shortly after purchasing it used.(found out later the driver was getting fake shop receipts and pocketing the $) Never had problems with tie rod ends, king pins, slack adjusters, or any of that stuff. I carried a creeper, cover alls, grease gun and lots of tools so I kept my personal trk in top shape. Had drivers that did it both ways some would take care of their own and get $50 from me each time they "serviced it", and others would pull into Speedco, Petro, Flying Hook, etc. and turn in the reciept. Of course then there was the driver that walked home from Chula Vista, CA (or however he got back to Oklahoma I didn't care. But the girlfriend and I left him standing in the receivers parking lot next to a pile of all his stuff once she discovered his a bunch reciepts were fake. She drove our trk, I drove his!) Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »

Eagle buses call for grease every 6000 miles according to the book I do 5000 miles the Eagle front suspension has more moving parts than a straight axle with air bags
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:36:56 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 01:14:23 PM »

I drive my bus anywhere from 4,000 to 7,000 miles a year depending on event locations that year.  I get the oil changed and chassis lubed once a year.  I take it to a bus garage as they have a lift so they can check everything out real good underneath.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 05:28:01 PM »

my apologies (again)  Embarrassed.  i should have gotten underneath before i posted anything, but i was hoping someone would say that sound is normal and i wouldn't have to get under the bus.

there is a hose from each side's spring brake can that goes to a valve mounted on the front center of the drive axle.  i think they are 1/2" hoses.  at the top of the distribution valve there is a slightly larger hose coming out the top.  IT HAS A BIG HOLE!

i misled everyone when i said it didn't leak when i shut the air off.  it does leak, unless you have the park brake set, which i usually do.  obviously, that hose is only full of air when the engine is running and the park brake is not set.  as in most of the time i'm driving down the road making my compressor work it's butt off.

i guess i'm lucky i'm too lazy to apply the park brake on flat ground when i unhooked the tow van because i'd have not found the leak until the hole got so large that the brake set in the middle of the turnpike on my next trip becuase we ran out of air.

i'll be taking the hose off and trying to figure out why it developed a hole, then replacing it with a new piece, inspecting other hoses for bad spots.

ohh, and while i'm there, i'll grease up a few spots.

thanks for the suggestions.

Tom

oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »

Hoses are usually easier to replace than brake parts!   Grin

Glad you found the problem    Smiley Smiley

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 08:39:54 PM »

Easy test for air integrity for every busnut:

Aired up, shut engine off, parking brake released, foot brake held to the floor.

Watch the needles, and listen.

Needles stay still and silence, you have no leaks.

trouble shooting is doing each step alone and checking as you go.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 05:13:38 AM »

Tom,
    Take to hose to a large truck parts store. They should have what you need. Some of the hoses have re-useable end pieces. The parts store person should be able to help you figger all this out.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: