Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 06:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cummins ISM Oil pan help  (Read 3597 times)
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »

Ahoy, Brian,

Sorry, I missed that your ISM oil pan is aluminum.  The welding teqhniques above should give you very good results.

OR~~~~~~~~~~

I'll bet that the bolt pattern is the same as the M-11, so you could do what I did on a steel pan.

I just accepted the lesser oil quantity.  I change oil a bit more often.  Never any temp problems.

Enjoy  /s/  bob
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 07:04:06 PM »

Thanks Bob,
How much less oil capacity do you have?  The ISM is designed to run with 9 gallons full and 7 gallons low on the normal truck pan.
-Brian
Bob Belter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »

Ahoy, Brian,

I'll check my oil pan depth in the AM and let you know.

The original oil pickup tube is about 1.0" dia with a simply scarfed end at maybe 45deg.  Quite crude, and certainly prone to cavitation even with oil level well above the top of the scarf .  Since I reduced the distance from the top of the oil level to the tube inlet, I felt that a cavitation plate would be quite prudent, along with  a 'rock' screen --  (Which my M-11 did not have). 

Most of this M-11 is really good, but it appears that no one is perfect.

For instance, there is a formed ~~5/16" main fuel feed to the head from the pump.  Uses a 1/8" mpt brass fitting. Broke at ~~30,000 miles.  Really quite 'light weight' when you take a good look at it. Turns out to be a well known fault to Cummins mechanics.  I replaced mine with a steel fitting and SS braided hose.

I know more than I had planned to learn about oil cavitation in my dry-sump 'E' class racing boat, and also my Porsche Speedster race car.

Enjoy  /s/  Bob 
Bob Belter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »

Ahoy, Brian,

My oil pan depth from the flange to bottom is 8.0", from the crank case is ~~8.25".

As I noted, I have no oil temp problems, no pressure problems.  The amount of oil carried only effects the rate of oil temp change.  So long as you have quite enough oil to insure no cavitation, you are OK, and your oil cooler system (which is integral to my M-11) controls the equlibrium temperature .

The big 'round' engines which I used to fly had NO oil in them.  Dry sump, with  an oil tank, and of course a cooler system.  Oil temp was the same regardless of quantity. 

New note:

Pebble Beach / Carmel / Laguna Seca Auto Week here!!!!  You find yourself in a traffic jam, and realize that your insurance coverage would NOT even put a fender on half of the cars around you.  Yah, and some of them drive as though the have just stolen them!!!

Enjoy  /s/  Bob   
Dreamscape

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 03:31:53 PM »

Hey Bob,

When I was stationed at Fort Ord, 69-71, we used to love those days. We would take a jeep and watch the races from on post.

A long, long time ago.

Paul
Dallas

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 03:44:27 PM »

Paul,

You mean you had to retread Basic that many times? LOL   Grin Grin Grin

Dallas

Hey Bob,

When I was stationed at Fort Ord, 69-71, we used to love those days. We would take a jeep and watch the races from on post.

A long, long time ago.

Paul
Dreamscape

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »

Dallas,

Basic was at Fort Lewis....HA..

Paul
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 04:06:37 PM »

You could get your total gallons up and do your engine a big favor by installing a remote Luberfiner 750.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: