Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 13, 2017, 01:31:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Wiper Conversion  (Read 2580 times)
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »

Well, I've been hanging on to my electric wiper motor and switch box from the Freightliner since I tore apart the truck.   This week I finally put them to use!

I've hated the air wipers from the day I got the bus.  I put a bunch of money into the wipers when I got the bus.  I put in new control valves and new on/off valves.  They just never worked well.  The passenger motor would run whatever speed it wanted and it was guaranteed to not be what I wanted it to do!  Both motors would SLAM the wiper to the edge of the window and then the wind would catch the wiper and push it farther off the edge of the glass.  The wipers would SLAM back and forth causing a racket.  I just could not get them to work correctly.  Then one of the replacement valves I bought 5 years ago started leaking air again. That was IT!!!!!  They had to go!!!!

So, I now have electric wipers run off one motor controlling both wiper blades.  I have fully intermittent two speed wipers and they work awesome!  I haven't run them in the rain going down the road, but they work great in the rain in the driveway.    Smiley   SOOOOO much nicer.  SOOOO much quieter and the intermittent feature is TOPS!

I had a real hard time getting the passenger wiper to be controlled by the driver motor due to NO space to run the rod over to the passenger side.  I finally had to remove some "excess" metal off the support for the steering wheel and bend the rod at some very odd angles.  However, after almost giving up I figured out an approach and got it to work without anything rubbing or making noise.

It was about 18 - 20 hours of work, but I was able to make my investment in the Freightliner help me on this project and it reduced the cost of my engine swap!   Grin

Here are a few pictures:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:45:36 PM by Brian Diehl » Logged
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 07:42:30 PM »

another
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:42:52 PM »

another
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 07:43:27 PM »

This is the shot of the passenger wiper in the bus.
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 05:18:20 AM »

Brian,
Thanks for the pix. This is a project I've been threatening for awhile  now.
Did you have to open anything from the inside, or were you able to get at it from the outside only?
What yr mdl Freightliner? I have a truck salvage yard across the street from us, what parts are necessary/ not necessary?
Do you have a pic of the install from a bit farther away?
Thanks for the inspiration.
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 06:05:31 AM »

Hi Devin,

I did have to remove the inside cover off the heater core to gain access to the passenger wiper and I had to open up the dash to run all the wiring.

I had a 2000 Century Class Freightliner.  What you would need is the wiper motor, wiper arms, mounting hardware and the dash switch.  The dash switch has the intermittent electronics in it.  I personally would also get the wire connectors as well as it will make it much easier to hookup.  Finally, make sure to to get the VIN off the truck so you can call Freightliner and get the wiring diagrams incase you forget where a wire goes.

I don't think I have any pictures from further away.  What view did you want?

-Brian
Sojourner

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 07:03:30 AM »

Hi Brian....good posts about electric wiper conversion. Thanks.

I did not know that Freightliner Century was a one motor/two wiper setup or is it not?

Question...How long the Century's wiper blade and arm?

I am surprise that it can handle the load of 2 MCI 8-9 wiper's load and coverage.

I am learning.

Thanks.

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 09:28:24 AM »

Hi Jerry,

Yes, the Century Class is a single motor system.  The wiper arms measured around 2' long.  So far the motor has had no problem pushing my wipers around even on dry glass. 
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »

New electric motor for the Freightshaker is just over $100, and with our duty cycle and attention to running on dry glass, in a bus conversion, I don't expect the motor would expire very often.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 04:41:14 PM »

Freightshaker

Never heard that before!  Thanks for the laugh.    Grin
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 05:09:27 PM »

Nice set up to avoid the big dollars that an electric conversion kit can cost.

AND only one motor to mess with but you gotta install the linkage.

After seeing it done I may have to try that for my self.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »

Hi Melbo,
The final result is worth the effort and getting rid of the air motors is TOPS!
-Brian
Sojourner

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 09:54:58 PM »

Thanks Brian!

It good to know the update about newer class 8 truck is equips with.

Used truck parts link:
http://www.heavytruckparts.net/search.php?qsearch=TRUE&ManufMake=FREIGHTLINER&Model=CENTURY&PartID=1640

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:48:02 PM by Sojourner » Logged
Dreamscape

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:05:17 AM »

Gee Whiz Brian,

I wish you guys would stop coming up with projects to do.  Grin

Our air wipers still work, so I aint gonna fix them cause they aint broke.

The other reason is I never drive our Eagle in the rain. Don't want to speed up the rust process and leave a cloud of red dust for those who are behind us! Besides it never rains here in Abilene TX, at least not much. Getting some today though. Roll Eyes

Good work Brian!

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: