Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 06:49:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lessons for new bus mechanics  (Read 2383 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »

i changed out my brake hose with the hole in it today.  the light is now off, compressor seems to be working, and so are the brakes.
in the process, i learned a few lessons i feel obligated to pass on to those who are new and/or less competent at mechanical skills on buses.

1.  Buses are low to the ground.  excessive eating and drinking skills in the past may/will necessitate taking it to a real (and expensive) mechanic with a pit to work in.  it's not possible to suck it in while manauvering under the bus between the axles.  and there's even less room to manauver under the big round thing in the center of the drive axle.
2. Put cardboard down on gravel driveways.  gravel is hard on the back and your cellphone.
3. Make sure you take all the parts you may need replaced to the truck parts store so you can show them exactly what you need.
4. Before you go angry back to the parts store because it doesn't fit, check to make sure the all the threaded nipples are out.  i did doublecheck, mostly becuase the store was closed, and found that the nipple the hose originally fit on came apart and the nipple he gave  me fit right in, so the fact that the hose end was smaller than the original was irrelevant.  it fit.  good thing i discovered the difference in connection fittings after 5.

5.  Wear the clothes you told your wife you were using for bus maintenance so she doesn't see another ruined pair of pants/shirt.  or wear the disposable coveralls you bought.
6.  Make sure the drop cord is plugged in and works before you hunch over the rear axle and try it.
6.5 make sure you have all the right wrenches under there with you.
7.  Have plenty of waterless handsoap and wipe rags for after the job is done.
8.  Never, ever leave the door to the bus unlocked while you are under the bus.  it could lead to statements like "i don't know what happened officer, it just slipped into gear while he was fixing the brakes".

and in case anyone wants to know, no i still have not greased all the grease points yet.  Soon, maybe tomorrow.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
happydays

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »

After the fourth rule I'm bent over laughing so hard.Been there done that...........Great rules
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:03:58 PM »

Hi Tom,

Great advice!  I assume you learned some valuable tricks today.. Lol

Today I joined you working on the bus. I removed my Onan 12.5 QD genset to clean and service it.

The thing just picks up every bit of road dirt even when not using while underway.. Changed the oil, air filter,

tightened the belt, and replaced the fuel filter.  Then onto the hot water heater anode replacement.

Oh, when you have a 800lb genset, it helps to own a fork lift!

thanks for the tips
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Blacksheep

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 07:05:49 PM »

Tom great rules to live by but since when have you started getting dirty working on the bus? Fran says every time you want something dirty done, you make her do it!

Ace
Dreamscape

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »

Wow Tom,

You made me laugh! What a way to remind us nuts on what not to do.

Been there and done that. It's nice to see someone else going through what most of us have.

Hee Hee,

Paul
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »

Tom thank you for the advice! I'm still learn'n and things like this really make me appreciate my "pit" more and more daily! Some day I'll finish learning. (how to get someone else to do it that is! LOL!)

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 07:46:16 PM »

Good job!

Thanks for sharing!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 07:48:35 PM »

5.  Wear the clothes you told your wife you were using for bus maintenance so she doesn't see another ruined pair of pants/shirt.  or wear the disposable coveralls you bought.

This is the perfect job to wear those clothes that you received for Christmas or your birthday that someone else thought would look just grand.

Put them on, really enjoy getting them greasy, throw away........I hope Julie doesn't read this.......It was an oversight....I swear........Your Mom has good taste in clothes.....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
van

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:40:01 AM »

Great rules ,had me choke on my coffee thanx.altough the rules were spot on they did'nt mention any thing about staying trim so that ya could fit under the thing(hee Hee) guess that would be a differant thread 
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 10:28:39 AM »

lesson add-on 9.  Watch for nuts and bolts walking away.

i pulled my start batteries today to clean them up, check individual voltage, etc.  i have 3 g31's that Eagle put into a slide tray too thin to just pull them out unless you take the hinge off.  anyway, i took 6 nuts off, took the cables off, took the ground screw out, cleaned all and put the batteries back in.  i can find 5 of the nuts, but the sixth took off on me.  looked all over and finally decided a replacement would be quicker.  all sorts of nuts around, but none the right size/thread. i had to drive down to the hardware store to get another and a few extras. geesh!

Tom

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 10:32:47 AM »

lesson add-on 9.  Watch for nuts and bolts walking away.

i pulled my start batteries today to clean them up, check individual voltage, etc.  i have 3 g31's that Eagle put into a slide tray too thin to just pull them out unless you take the hinge off.  anyway, i took 6 nuts off, took the cables off, took the ground screw out, cleaned all and put the batteries back in.  i can find 5 of the nuts, but the sixth took off on me.  looked all over and finally decided a replacement would be quicker.  all sorts of nuts around, but none the right size/thread. i had to drive down to the hardware store to get another and a few extras. geesh!

Tom that is MURPHY's (my close cousin) LAW! Now whenyou get done you'll find you have the missing one, plus 2 others & the extras you bought left over!

Job ain't done right if there ain't unidentified spare parts left over!

Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 08:37:22 PM »

BK,
at some point, you and i have to get together over some JD.  you are one of the few that seems to be helpful, amusing, and can tell stories. 

i think a few glasses (shots) of JD while the fire burns, discussing air brakes, buses, engines and whatever, would pass for a successful afternoon or evening.

Tom

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »

I'll second that!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 06:57:54 AM »

Well I guess I'll have a third one. Of course I ain't saying I won't share your JD with ya, but if I'm buying it comes out of a purple bag!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 07:05:10 AM »

What is this world coming too a guy from Tenn not drinking JD or Makers Mark

Well I guess I'll have a third one. Of course I ain't saying I won't share your JD with ya, but if I'm buying it comes out of a purple bag!
Grin  BK  Grin
[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:13:54 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: