Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 02:01:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When do you need a CDL  (Read 13218 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 06:43:38 AM »

How about if i purchase a bus that was registered as a bus, and am transporting it home to convert it to a private motorcoach?

Also, pertaining that....just like when you purchase a new car you have 10-14 days depending on the state to register and insure it....does this apply to when a bus is purchased as well?

also, do you guys know the GVW of an mc9 with all the seats still in?

Driving a bus home that's going to be converted is usually not contested.  As long as all signage, permit numbers, etc are painted over.  Removing the seats is best.   Still, as long as you have non-commercial insurance, and a don't have a load of people on the bus...your should be OK.  
Have the seller to write on the bill of sale..."Motorhome Shell"...don't ride friends with you, and don't mention 'Band Bus.'  The cop's notion of intent is what counts. 
You'll need liability insurance in order to get a temp tag.
Bryce pointed out something that is important...make sure the tires are inflated, the lights all work correctly, and that nothing is visible that would pick DOT's nerves.   Place an "Out of Service" sign in the front windshield.  
Using latex paint over any signage will make you more legal.  Latex is easy to wash off.
GVW of MC9 ranges between 38 and 42K.
Empty weight is about 26K.
Having a CDL won't have any negative outcomes over any other license, unless you drink.  CDL holders cannot imbibe and drive.  The (varies by state) common ~< 0.08 ETOH will get you a DUI on a CDL.  
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
coachconverter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 08:35:20 AM »

Thanks Guys,

It's going to Luke's place until I get my CDL, hopefully wont take too long, the written part wasn't too bad.  Plus I'll have him give it the "twice over" while there.

Todd
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 02:56:49 PM »

Could each state have different requirements?  Up here in Oregon, if the bus is a motorhome, then it is the same as a private vehicle.  A basic drivers license is needed, but not a CDL, which is good.

I think some states require something called a "non-commercial CDL" whatever that could be.  Sounds like an oxi-moron or something like that.  Anyway, your state's requirements may differ.  Good luck.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 03:24:30 PM »

Could each state have different requirements?  Up here in Oregon, if the bus is a motorhome, then it is the same as a private vehicle.  A basic drivers license is needed, but not a CDL, which is good.

I think some states require something called a "non-commercial CDL" whatever that could be.  Sounds like an oxi-moron or something like that.  Anyway, your state's requirements may differ.  Good luck.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Some states do require special classes of license for vehicles over a certain size even if they are motorhomes and require knowledge/skills appropriate to the vehicle that is to be driven.  But a CDL is only required for commercial drivers and as I understand it is dictated by federal govt. specifications.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »

For RVs (any size or type), all Florida requires is a standard (class C) driver's license. But, to drive a dually pick-up you need a class D (any vehicle over 80" wide {except RVs}), although they do not seem to enforce this. 
    I have heard that Texas requires "non-CDL" for any RV over 26,001 lbs and an air brake endorsement if so equipped. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 03:40:03 PM »

CC:

The commercial vehicle regs are administered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration(FMCSA). Check out this link for a description of CDL requirements:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 03:47:49 PM »

I'm over 40 feet (41 feet) so I need a non-commercial Class B license to drive the bus.  I was told that in california, that if it was 40 ft, no matter the wieght, or with air brakes, that all I need is the class C.  Reading the regs however, they say that anything over 26,000 lbs need one too. 

When I went in for the license, the DMV tried to talk me out of it, saying its only 1 foot.  When I said I needed their name to give to the highway patrol shouild they ever stop me, they "caved in" and gave me the test.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »

When I went in for the license, the DMV tried to talk me out of it, saying its only 1 foot.  When I said I needed their name to give to the highway patrol shouild they ever stop me, they "caved in" and gave me the test.

I never worry about the county mounty - they're often fools with less grasp of the law than I have.  What I worry about is insurance company lawyers.  I want to be 100% sure I'm in compliance with every boneheaded law in case something ever happens because I don't want the insurance company to have any chance of weaseling out.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
kd5kfl

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 04:46:45 PM »

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 06:54:46 PM »

FWIW, states have different rules for license requirements for non-commercial vehicles. 
However, all states offer reciprocity, so you won't get nailed for various rules as long as you are correctly licensed in your home state. 
A commercial CDL is a issued by states, but under federal mandate.  The feds keep track of CDL records.  This was the purpose of moving from "Class A" licenses to a "CDL" format.  Drivers were holding Class A's in multiple states.   Lose a license...no problem... Wink
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
luvrbus

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »

JR, I am old enough to remember when you could buy commercial drivers license at weight stations in some states with no test at 1 time I had 5 sets.   
I have some from Norway that are good till 2047 and I am not going to tell you how old I will be when they expire
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »

JR, I am old enough to remember when you could buy commercial drivers license at weight stations in some states with no test at 1 time I had 5 sets.  
I have some from Norway that are good till 2047 and I am not going to tell you how old I will be when they expire

Norway?  Bet that would get some attention at a weight station. 
Yeah...a class A was easy to get (or buy?).  I kept a class A license so that we could rent tractors (Pepsico short lease was much cheaper than buying) to haul big boats with.   The only issue was that my left eye is blind.  That's a no-no.  Gotta have binocular vision to drive across the state line.  Wrong.
Resolution...fake my way thru a DOT physical...which I did year after year. 
Odd thing these rules.  I worked for years as a paramedic.  Drove all sorts of emergency vehicles.  No problem.  But couldn't keep my "A" after the CDL program was started.  NC DOT does the eye exam themselves...they still require a DOT physical, but the state does their own eye exam.   That sucked.   I think that the ADA should intervene!  I'm being discriminated against!   Wink
Whatever. 
Is that your bus in the little avatar picture?  Isn't that an "E"?  You must be rich!  Grin  Nice bus!  Bus envy is hell.   Sad
BTW, have you noticed that you'll be a 'minority' in 2047?  Yep.  I'll be a 'below ground' minority in 2047.  Lessee, 63 plus ....??  Whoa...I'll be almost....80...?  Wink Huh Roll Eyes

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 09:48:21 PM »

dumb question....but if you havent been able to tell...im looking to bend the rules as much as possible.

so....if the seats arent removed, but unattached, and i just throw them all towards the back so that you can clearly see that the seats....well....theyre not technically "in".....how well would that fly?

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 04:26:07 AM »

Norway?  Bet that would get some attention at a weight station. 
Yeah...a class A was easy to get (or buy?).  I kept a class A license so that we could rent tractors (Pepsico short lease was much cheaper than buying) to haul big boats with.   The only issue was that my left eye is blind.  That's a no-no.  Gotta have binocular vision to drive across the state line.  Wrong.
Resolution...fake my way thru a DOT physical...which I did year after year. 
Odd thing these rules.  I worked for years as a paramedic.  Drove all sorts of emergency vehicles.  No problem.  But couldn't keep my "A" after the CDL program was started.  NC DOT does the eye exam themselves...they still require a DOT physical, but the state does their own eye exam.   That sucked.   I think that the ADA should intervene!  I'm being discriminated against!   Wink
Whatever. 
Is that your bus in the little avatar picture?  Isn't that an "E"?  You must be rich!  Grin  Nice bus!  Bus envy is hell.   Sad
BTW, have you noticed that you'll be a 'minority' in 2047?  Yep.  I'll be a 'below ground' minority in 2047.  Lessee, 63 plus ....??  Whoa...I'll be almost....80...?  Wink Huh Roll Eyes

JR

JR,
They have exemption forms you can get and have one of there Drs. and 1 of your to sign off on showing that even with your handy cap, that are fully capable of driving "whatever" it is your getting the CDL for.
I personally know of 3 people operating on exemptions from 3 different states! One from KY has NO right eye! One from TN has no right arm below the elbow! (and he drives a "twin stick"). And the 3rd is from OK and has no left foot! FWIW! BK

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Charles Seaton

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 05:07:53 AM »

iminaccess,

If you unbolt all your seats, the only thing that will fly is the seats.  They'll fly right through the windshield the first time you get cut off and have to make a panic stop.

-- Seaton
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: