Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 03:51:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genset enclosures  (Read 1482 times)
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:38:30 PM »

My Powertech genset is on a slide which is taking up a full bay.   I am thinking about mounting it perpendicular with the bay and making a remote radiator box.   Without the radiator, I will have 3 inches in width.    Can a few of you guys post your install pics?   

Any recommendations for fire and remote CO detectors? 
cody

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:22:48 PM »

Good idea for a thread, I'm thinking about how to design an enclosure for my generator too, mine is a gasser tho and air cooled, so I'll be watching to see all the different ideas and see how everyone did theirs.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »

I have a wrico genset with a remote mounted radiator.  I made a quiet box, with upper and lower vents and fan to move air thhrough the box.  The radiator is mounted on  the bus air condensor. with a lightweight automotive fan on it.  Dick recommended at least 3000 cfm fan, this one is about 3660 cfm.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »

the quieted intake air chamber for cooling the enclosure and providing fresh air for combustion.  The airflow has to flow around the corners, so muffes the sound.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:41:46 PM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 04:32:47 PM »

The generator mounted longitudinally, allowing room for 330 gals of water tanks behind the generator.  The bay is about 44 inches wide and 44 inches tall.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:40:31 PM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »

The upper folded vent enclosure.  Takes air from the hotest part of the enclosure and vents it out the back in front of the duals.

Jim Stewart

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »

Finished enclosure.  10 gal hot water tank above the enclosure on the left.  Extra storage above on the right.  One of RV safety systems fantastic fire extinguishers easily accessible.  Buddy plug on teh lower left, with a coverd opening for the cord.  Have never used the buddy plug, but may need it to run the Jacuzzi when I mount it on the trailer to tow behind the bus.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:38:43 PM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 04:42:08 PM »

Jim Thanks!!   How many KW is your genset?   

My genset is in the same bay as yours..  How large is your exit vent to the rear wheel area?   Do you get much wheel/rain spray kicked back into the vent?

Jim (or anyone else) know where I can get some full faced non louvered baggage doors for my H3?    I have the louvered door which doesn't lend to kindness to neighbors with the genset running at night.
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:44:53 PM »

13KW, or is that 12.5?  whatever Dick sells.

I"m actually not sure I'd get such a large generator again, although I have an all electric coach.  I boondock a lot and since I have the solar panels, I rarely use the expensive generator.  Heavy and a lot of work to install.  I would seriously look at some of these new Hondas.  Although I think there will come a day when I am happy to have it.  I have about 50 hours on it in 3 years.

The opening you see in the photo is the part that butts up against the rear of the bay, and vents outside.  Its actually more in the center of the coach and so gets no direct or indirect spray from the wheels.

Maybe some awesopme fiberglass worker could make that panel for you, keeping the door itself intact.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:47:42 PM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »

RV safey systems has temperature sensors.  You could put one in the genset box to montor temp, would alert for fire as well.  I bought one, but have not installed it yet.

Jim Stewart

Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »

My 8kw Power Tech in a quiet box is located in the middle bay of my MCI-9.  The fan is not remoted, and I have no problems with it.  A few months ago, I cut two holes in the bay door so it could breath better.  There is also a hole in the bottom of the bay,  really helps changing filters.

Bill
Tampa Bay

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 05:45:15 AM »

RV safey systems has temperature sensors.  You could put one in the genset box to montor temp, would alert for fire as well.  I bought one, but have not installed it yet.

If you have the unit and have not installed it, I would.
  We have this on our bus. When returning home from a trip last spring, the alarm went off indicating ambient temperature in the generator compartment was 140 (this is the temp we programmed into the alarm as the low setting, high setting is preset at 400).  We stopped and checked the generator compartment. The generator was running normal with normal output, HOWEVER, the exhaust fans I use to pull fresh air through the compartment had failed. Since we were only about 1 1/2 hours from home, we just shut down the generator.  The generator water temp remained normal because we remoted our radiator. I think we would have experienced $$$$ problems with the generator head had we kept the generator running before we saw any changes in oil pressure and engine temperature (the only generator gauges we have inside the bus).  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: