Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 05:26:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Cow. $3.959 per gallon  (Read 9611 times)
Dreamscape

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2008, 05:44:31 AM »

$2.21 for reg gas. $3.51 for diesel here in Abilene TX.

Sure wish diesel would go as low as gas!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2008, 06:01:06 AM »

$2.21 for reg gas. $3.51 for diesel here in Abilene TX.

Sure wish diesel would go as low as gas!

Wow, your diesel prices are even more ridiculous than here in Minnesota!  Gasoline is $2.39 and diesel $3.39.  I've read reports of stations in California selling diesel for $3.21 where gasoline is still over $3.  California usually has some of the highest prices on fuel.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2008, 06:22:55 AM »

Diesel will remain higher in price than gasoline till after 2010 we export the ULSD to Europe and Mexico till they switch over to refining their own in 2010. 80% of Citco's diesel refined here goes back to south America and Alon sells theirs on the market to anyone mostly Europe  don't look for cheap fuel prices anytime soon   

have a great day
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:27:39 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2008, 07:20:58 AM »

Check out diesel prices nationwide at Flying J.
http://www.dieselboss.com/fuel.htm

Phoenix, AZ has diesel at $2.81 for car/rv (under 26,000# - "light weight")

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »

There really isn't a good reason for the price differential - Wholesale Heating Oil (same as diesel) has been running about 50 cents more than Gas on both the spot and futures market - FWIW

Nymex Heating Oil Future   194.65   -8.32   -4.10   10/24

Nymex RBOB Gasoline Future   147.79   -9.99   -6.33   10/24

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
shodogg

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2008, 06:40:35 PM »

OK now, really -no -really, why dose  diesel costs more than unleaded gasoline even though ulg costs more to refine than diesel ? Also wasn't there ever a time when D was cheaper than G ? Huh Shocked Undecided Cry Angry
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »

Diesel $2.899 tonight.
Maybe  fill up time? Huh
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 09:31:50 PM by Ednj » Logged

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2008, 09:33:49 PM »

OK now, really -no -really, why dose  diesel costs more than unleaded gasoline ? Huh Shocked Undecided Cry Angry

I stole this from another board=

take a good look at what a barrel of crude oil costs. Divide that by 42 (that's how many gallons there are in a barrel). That number represents what the raw materials cost. Add in things like labor, maintenance, about $11 million a month in utility bills for the average refinery, and you will now know what it costs to make a gallon of diesel fuel.
The refinery I work for processes around 4,010,000 gallons per day on average and has an operating cost of around $8 per barrel. If the finished product sell for $9 per barrel more than the crude oil cost, we make $1 per barrel or 2.3 cents per gallon.

The crude oil we are processing right now cost us around $100 a barrel (you have to order it and pay for it in advance). That means we paid $2.38 for a gallon of it.
It costs us about 19 cents per gallon to process it and turn it into a good clean fuel. That is very efficient BTW.

This means the diesel we are making right now, this very minute, cost us $2.57 to make. We are selling it for $2.12 for a grand total of ... drum roll ...... a 45 cent per gallon loss. howz that for gouging? .
The spot price in the LA harbor area right now for diesel is $2.12 a gallon wholesale. The difference between that price and the price you pay is called mark-up, and that is done by an independent distributor and retailer. Not an oil company.

It will settle down once crude stabilizes and we start getting deliveries of the cheaper crude, and once refineries stop over-producing diesel. Probably by spring.

If, if we were lucky enough to be be processing crude today that cost us $69 a barrel we'd be happy as hogs in shoot. We'd be making diesel that only cost us $1.83 a gallon to make and we'd be making 29 cents a gallon! Oh that would be nice, but it ain't reality. We can dream, can't we?
By the time the refineries start processing crude purchased at today's price, diesel will probably be selling for around $1.85 wholesale for a net profit of 2 cents.
maybe the big bad oil companies aren't so big or bad after all?

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2008, 10:04:23 PM »

At the current price of fuel - Federal, State and Local fuel taxes can easily be more than 20% of the cost per gal. - about twice the margin of the oil companies, and they do nothing but collect it (and waste it on bloated road construction and maintenance) - Don't hear anyone complaining about the government gouging?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Debbie

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2008, 10:16:42 PM »

Cloquet, Minnesota diesel 3.44  and gas 2.23 this afternoon.... Smiley Smiley Smiley
shodogg

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2008, 02:25:49 PM »

I stole this from another board= ....

Thanks, but no thanks Ednj . The above still didn't answer my question of : "why is D more expensive than G when it costs more to refine G ?" maybe I'm mistaking the respective refinery processes. It will seem no matter how eco-green-friendly diesel becomes, as long as it remains diesel, it -by composition- will never be refined as gasoline or else then the D would have effectively become G!? I'm I making sense here or what?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 02:29:24 PM by shodogg » Logged
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2008, 02:30:14 PM »

shodoog - LSD and ULSD "is" more expensive than gas to refine - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
shodogg

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »

Soooo... are you saying -in other words- it cost more to refine D than G ?
Cause I do see a "D" after the "L" and the "S". Grin Grin

(edited)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 02:41:28 PM by shodogg » Logged
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2008, 04:27:23 AM »

Soooo... are you saying -in other words- it cost more to refine D than G ?
Cause I do see a "D" after the "L" and the "S". Grin Grin

(edited)

Actually, whether is costs more to produce diesel or gas, or whether the refinery is getting rich, the gas stations are getting rich, or OPEC (where they build luxery condos out of sand and money) is getting rich is not relavant.  what matters is what we pay and where to get cheap stuff.  Everything else is out of my control and i suspect everyone else's on this board.

the bottom line is you want it, they have it, what will you pay?  and where is that cheapest price in case i'm gonna be there? 

if i could afford to buy stock in exxon and share in their profits, i would.

$3.49 here in Ohio.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2008, 06:27:14 AM »

Here in Connecticut gasoline $242.9 for cash only and diesel $359.9 cash or credit card. Some stations even cheaper diesel if cash.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: