Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 11:32:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IDEAS FOR LOW COST SHIPPING OF BUS FROM FLORIDA TO ALBERTA  (Read 4755 times)
ros0093

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »

After a very long search, I finally found a 81 Prevost LE Mirage at a reasonable price. Unfortunatly, it is located in Orlando Florida and I live just outside Calgary Alberta. The Bus
runs and moves under it's own power but the top right (passenger corner) has been dameged so it is not possible to drive it 3000miles. I've looked at getting a windshield
installed temporarily on the right side so I can drive it home but no one is willing to do the tempory work. One company quited me 12 000& for shipping.. Any IDEAS??? The dream is
so close but yet so far.
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 02:19:23 PM »

put the 12K into the repair and drive it home.
ros0093

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 02:24:45 PM »

I was Thinking under #3k, Unfortunatly the US Dollar is still not at par.
El-Sonador

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 02:57:53 PM »

Hi...

You did say you found it at a "reasonable price" so it can't be that bad.

What exactly does it need to get it driveable...?

3,000 miles is nothing for these buses.

Steve

PS... Give me some duct tape and I'll drive it home...  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 02:59:52 PM by El Soņador™ » Logged
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 04:32:08 PM »

I don't think you will find anyone to haul it for 3K.  Have you priced having it repaired (since that has to be done anyway) and then driving it home?.  I live about 90 miles from  Orlando. Email me a photo of the area that needs repair and I will look at it and see if I can help you out with a temporary repair.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 04:40:27 PM »

After a very long search, I finally found a 81 Prevost LE Mirage at a reasonable price. Unfortunatly, it is located in Orlando Florida and I live just outside Calgary Alberta. The Bus
runs and moves under it's own power but the top right (passenger corner) has been dameged so it is not possible to drive it 3000miles. I've looked at getting a windshield
installed temporarily on the right side so I can drive it home but no one is willing to do the tempory work. One company quited me 12 000& for shipping.. Any IDEAS??? The dream is
so close but yet so far.

Email me off the board, I will go look at it and see what it might take to make a repair to drive it and go from there.
I work in the Orlando area, Might take a couple of days to get there and see what you need.
I am in need of a small adventure and may be able to get the basic repair done.

Dave....
hartley@rvbus.net

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 04:43:22 PM »

This sounds like a job for .....

Dunt Da Da Dah....

GREGG PACIGA

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 04:55:43 PM »

I'd get some heavy guage plastic sheeting and a few rolls of duct tape for temporary repair and drive it home.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 04:56:11 PM »

Seriously, though, here's my idea....

This is a great board. We have over 700 members now scattered all over.

So, get Jack and Dave to fix your bus. Meanwhile, you take care of whatever it takes to get it across the border. Then, we'll line up a bunch of busnuts from FL to Can and shuttle your bus from FL to CAN. Everyone will take a turn of say 200-400 miles, and hand off to the next person. We can have someone follow along to take us home. Should be a good time. You arrange for diesel along the way, pick the tab for some food, and send me several boxes of Black Bear Ale (hey, it was my idea  Cheesy ).

Your bus would be in good hands and would cost you considerably less than having it hauled, towed, or professionally driven.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Ace

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 05:04:22 PM »

Hey don't forget me! I own a Prevost and would be willing to drive it there for very small fee of course! Heck I need a good reason to get away from it all anyway and that sounds like a good one!

Ace
El-Sonador

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 05:09:17 PM »

I was Thinking under #3k, Unfortunatly the US Dollar is still not at par.

The US dollar has dropped so much on the world currency markets and the Canadian dollar and its economy are flourishing, that the amount of money the exchange would cost you would be virtually nothing compared to what a conversion or repairs or maintenance or parts or fuel... would cost you.

If your budget is that tight, you may wish to think this through one more time... as it "sounds like" you have not yet made the actual purchase yet.

Money is one of the key factors in Bus Conversions, Just a thought...

Steve
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 07:16:09 PM »

I saw the bus in question on ebay last week I think and it needs quite a bit of repair if I remember right! But hey it ain't nothin for a stepper (or a couple of bus nuts working together!) and I kinda thought the bus nut to bus nut transfer was a way cool idea! I'll check with some buddy's in the biz and see if anyones got a Large Car Unit or Landoll gonna be in FL looki'n for a "back haul"! If so you might have to have someone from north of the border meet them at the border and swap there!  But maybe not! But usually Large Car Towing runs $ 3.50-4.50 a loaded mile! I ain't make'n no guarantees but might find someone to do it cheaper! BK

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dallas

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 04:17:50 AM »

Lots of Bus bodies are hauled from Winnepeg, MB. to Pembina ND. and from Pembina all over north america. You might call some of the bonding brokers at Pembina and see if you can get a lead on companies looking for backhaul. Besides, you'll still need a brokers assistance to get it across the border and that may be a good place to do it, since they do it all the time and know all the ins and outs.
There was a guy not too long ago that had problems with his seated coach in Canada. A little research might be in order.

Dallas
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 05:44:00 AM »

Several months ago I read about Canada having some very strict regulations regarding importing older vehicles. I do not remember the details, but if you have not checked yet on importing this vehicle, you should do that first.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
coachcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 06:06:10 AM »

yes, your correct Richard
canada  has strict laws about importing autos.  my buddy moved up to BC 3 years ago and had a 2000 honda civic that had minor body damage on the front end and they would not let him bring it in to the country.  He had to get the bodywork done first, i drove the car up to him last summer.  3000+ miles in a honda civic alone = not very comfortable
mak

Southern California location

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 06:15:26 AM »

You might want to re-think the purchase... I just finished a bad deal with a non running bus 2,000 miles away, cost me a bunch. It may be worth spending a little more money up front... getting a good all around bus, maybe closer to home, maybe from the west..., or maybe not. Good luck!

I may have started it, but you'll have to finish it!
Located in So CA (Orange County)
El-Sonador

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 06:19:21 AM »

You might want to re-think the purchase... I just finished a bad deal with a non running bus 2,000 miles away, cost me a bunch. It may be worth spending a little more money up front... getting a good all around bus, maybe closer to home, maybe from the west..., or maybe not. Good luck!

I agree with MAK... That's why I suggested in my previous post that you may wish to re-think this, if it isn't too late...

Plus... Here is the official Canadian site for importing vehicles into Canada from the US...

GOTO... www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impusae.htm 
ros0093

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 10:30:04 PM »

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I E-Mailed Jack and Dave and hope they will go and have a look at it so I  can get get their opinion. If it is possible for a temporary
fix, I will go for it and possibly fly down the first week in July and Drive it back myself. Thanks for all the responce. It is very much
appriciated. The main thing is to get some eyes down in Florida to take a good look at it. The owner said it drives good bus that
is the owners words.

Marc
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 08:56:08 AM »

Make sure you know you can get it across the border before you get too deep into this.  Have you talked to anyone at Transport Canada?  I mean actually spoken to them - not just read their web page and put your own interpretation on that.  Getting a bus across the border is no trivial matter.  At a minimum you are going to need an affidavit from Prevost stating that all the safety features in place at the date of manufacture are still in place and that all recalls or updates have been performed.  IMHO it is unlikely that they will issue that on a damaged coach.  Forget the internet - pick up the phone and make some calls before you get any deeper into this.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 09:06:45 AM »

There are some real horror stories on these boards of people trying to bring a bus from the US to Canada.  I wouldn't try it.  Just too much red tape.  I remember something about an inspection needing to be done before it is registered and that inspection has to be done with the bus in it's passenger configuration.  Everything has to placarded in English and French, speedo in KPH and all service bulletins complied with....Or something to that effect.

I imported an airlplane from Canada once....I'll never do that again.  Absolute nightmare.  It took almost two years to get US numbers and airworthiness certificate.
prevost82

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 09:16:46 AM »

It will be easy to import into Canada ...it's a Prevost, it's made in Canada.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 09:18:51 AM »

Well,

Jack and I emailed each other after he looked at the provided pictures.

I also formulated a return email back to Marc this morning after carefully looking at the pictures and figuring
out that with the amount of obvious damage and the hidden damage to the entry door structure and roof braces
that maybe this would not be something that he would want to take a chance on.

Here are the pictures (Only critical 4 shown) resized... Tell me what you guys think?

Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 09:21:40 AM »

Here are 4 more...

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 12:52:27 PM »

Tell me what you guys think?

Keep shopping. . . The it's a buyer's market right now, lots of good deals to be had w/ a little negotiation.  Every time diesel prices go up, coach conversion prices tend to come down.

HTH. . .

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
ros0093

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 11:43:48 AM »

Yes, I think I will pass, I need something that will be drivable. I will look at E-Bay, there seem to be
a few bus's that come trough once in a while.

Thanks Again,
Marc.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 12:21:37 PM »

Just out of curosity (and I don't recall you mentioning it in your original post), how much are they asking for this Prevost?

Were there other signs of corrosion in the body?  With a bus that old in FL, I'd be concerned the sides might be rusted away.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Ace

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 02:39:27 PM »

Marc, I know where there might be an Eagle 05 and a MCI 9 I think partially converted at a pretty reasonable price locate in Illinois. They belong to a friend of mine and he's in deep $$$ doo doo so he might take a good cash offer. I can find out if they are still availlable!

Ace
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 03:29:59 PM »

MAK the great man who makes this board possible for us all also has some nice buses for sale! Might wanna give him a call and see what he has, he just may have something you'd be interested in! Just my opinion that we should try to help the man who definetly helps us all if we can ! BK  Grin Cool Cheesy

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
prevost82

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 03:30:25 PM »

Ace ... I don't think we can import Eagles into Canada ...MCI 9 is no problem the body was made in Canada.
Ron
Ace

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 08:48:09 PM »

Hmm didn't know about that. Oh well, there are plenty of used coaches out in the world so keep looking and I'm sure if the right one comes along, you will be the first to know!

Ace
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 09:07:49 PM »

Ace ... I don't think we can import Eagles into Canada ...MCI 9 is no problem the body was made in Canada.
Ron

Hmmm I wonder why Eagles can't be imported? Could it be because the Eagle is an American symbol ? Are we talk'n about live eagles or buses ? I have to wonder if this is legit or not ? Seems to me it's form of discrimination! Knuckle Grin Cool Roll Eyes

www.kylakesidetravel.net

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 04:19:03 AM »

Ace,
  My understanding is that Canada has a list of vehicles that have met the requirements to be certified by the Government for import. Eagle did not opt to do this.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
prevost82

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2006, 05:35:45 AM »

Yea ...that's my read on it too, Jack
Ron
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2006, 06:21:24 AM »

If anyone is really interested they might want to check the archives on the BNO board. There was considerable discussion on this subject a couple of years ago, I believe.
Richard

Hey, think I will hit 400 again with this post. When Steve took his marbles and went home he deleted all his posts which deleted other posts associated with his, so I lost 20 or so posts. LOL

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2006, 06:36:15 AM »

Hey, think I will hit 400 again with this post. When Steve took his marbles and went home he deleted all his posts which deleted other posts associated with his, so I lost 20 or so posts. LOL

Steve took his marbles and went home?  You mean Steve aka El Sonador?   

Why'd he do that? Someone take his cat's eye? 

Did I miss something?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:01:24 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 07:24:41 AM »

I really do not know for sure. I do not think he liked the way the board was being moderated.
Richard

Steve took his marbles and went home?  You mean Steve aka El Sonador?   

Why'd he do that? Someone take his cat's eye? 

Did I miss something?

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: