Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 05:41:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another battery question.......  (Read 3473 times)
luvrbus

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 12:17:29 PM »

Your on a roll John they do make Interstate batteries and many other brands even the world famous Die Hard and Delco that's why I don't really care where I buy a battery from most are made by Johnson Control anyway
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:38:59 PM by luvrbus » Logged
orfunauto/Darrell

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »

Quote from JohnEd:"Please keep talking.....I always learn something from you.  We keep hearing from self confessed "lurkers" that have been voyeurs here for years.  No telling how many people you have helped for now and in the future.  Thanks for your effort and service."

I can't leave this alone.  I will now go back to lurking and voyeurism on this board.  The few times I have asked questions about a problem, or for advice on a specific product, the bulk of the replies are either way off the topic, or anything but what I asked for.  I eventually got a couple of answers that have helped me with my decision in this thread.  But what I don't understand is why I, or anybody else has to wade through the bravado, or overly thick egos to get a simple answer?  I asked for a specific professional opinion on a specific subject. 

I have many years of experience in welding and fabrication.  I wouldn't mind sharing my experience via email with anyone who asks a question on anything that I have done in the past.  But will not do it here on the board.  Just too many "book smart and hands on d--b" egos to feed.   Thanks for the help.

74 MCI 8
LaGrange, NC
gus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 03:34:05 PM »

Darrell,

I know the feeling. Very often I've asked for information from people who have actual experience with some particular thing and mostly I get opinions, long windy descriptions and theories about things only vaguely related to my original question.

It is tough to actually get information, and I stress information as opposed to opinion and theory, from those with actual experience.

There is no shortage of experts on these boards!! The usual result of their posts is that the thread is quickly lost to them on an entirely different matter. I've even waited a week or so and posted my question again to try to get an informed answer.

There are a number of posts I never read at all once I see the source.

On the other hand, this is common with most boards I've been on so there is probably no solution-very discouraging.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »

Darrell,
   Cost vs. usage is almost a personal thing. I have had several people in the battery business tell me that the "Best bang for the buck" is a standard 6 volt lead-acid golf cart batteries.  Like everything else there are trade-offs. The compartment must be vented and the batteries electrolyte must be checked on a regular basis, but they are cheaper.  If initial cost is not as important to you, AGMS do not need a vented compartment or electrolyte levels checked on a regular basis, but you pay more.  Your choice.  Our choice was 8 standard 6 volt golf cart batteries feeding a 12volt 2500 watt inverter/charger. Batteries are now 4 years old and still working.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
orfunauto/Darrell

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 04:40:23 PM »

Thank you Jack.  I also got a couple of emails that were nearly verbatim to what you posted.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:39:22 PM by orfunauto/Darrell » Logged

74 MCI 8
LaGrange, NC
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »

Darrelll,

Ahhhhhhh! Embarrassed   "Expert opinions appreciated"  Shocked  I get it! Tongue

John Grin Grin Grin

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 12:56:37 PM »

Gus,

If there is no solution then it is NOT a problem.  In that case it is REALITY Cry.  If you have a problem with reality, it is your problem alone, even if you have company Huh.  Wanting to do the impossible is frustrating in the EXTREME.  Ask any gelding. Roll Eyes  I offer this info with only the most constructive of intention. Cool  Really I do. Smiley

Now as far as.... (tap, tap) is this thing on?  hello(tap tap tap)  can you hear me Gus?  Anybody (tap tap)

When someone says "my key won't open my car door" at WallMart some advise calling home to get their spare set delivered.  Some suggest a locksmith.  When I suggested he check to make sure he was trying to get into "his" Toyota, a rare brand indeed, he and a couple others scoffed at my "stupid" and "off topic" comment.  Guess what?  Don't ask me why that occurred to me.  You ask for free advice you take what you get and be grateful or your universe won't come to your rescue in the future.  Grace under pressure...that's my motto.

Wishing you well and reminding you that this is a constructive and humorous post, wether you are laughing or not doesn't change that,

John
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 04:06:14 PM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
van

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 03:56:01 PM »

"Hero - a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities b: an object of extreme admiration and devotion c: a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability "

seems we ought to change our definitions on this board that are provided simply because you have a lot of posts trying to help others.  There seems to be a limited supply of individuals who really can walk on water, answer questions knowledeably, and not waste the time of those really seriously involved busnuts.  

i for one do not meet the criteria listed in Merriam Webster's dictionary when it comes to my assistance on buses, diesel engines, etc.  i do find that some of the posts lead me in the direction of a solution, even though the responder may not have hit the nail on the head.  i like this board because it helps people like me on buses.

i'm also a certified computer expert, but i find even there, i don't know it all, unlike some of you seem to.  i find that if i read enough of Microsoft's, Intel's, Cisco's posts, eventually i'll find a clue.  i've eaten enough Humble Pie that i TRY not to shoot first and ask later.

some of you may want to consider allowing mistakes by the rest of us. Tongue
i find that the best response to any comment is usually "Thanks", not Thanks for trying or Thanks for nothing, but honest thanks for an assist.

by the way, there are many US manufacturers that make batteries.  DEKA and CROWN are US manufacturers that could use the support rather than helping send jobs to Mexico and China.  Both are part of nationwide warranty programs with other manufacturers.  I DID work for a battery company, so i do have some knowledge.  years ago.

i'll climb down from my soapbox now, being as i'm not that tall anyway and hieghts make me nervous. 

if you all were just pulling each other's chain and i misunderstood, please see my comments above about me not walking on water. 

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »

Tom,

I liked your post and I will be sending you a mail about my computer. 

I will try to use DEKA and Crown in the future.  Glad you went a little off center on the topic.  I had simply not considered trying to "buy American" on this because I assumed, erroneously, that the Mex made was all that is out there.

Thanks,

John
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 04:12:37 PM by JohnEd » Logged

—Pla
gus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »

JohnEd,

I'll try to simplify the problem. "It is hard to get an answer on this board from someone who has actual experience."

One reason is that there are a few posters who are more interested in showing how much they know than answering the questions. To that I doubt that there is a final solution.  Skipping over their posts helps.

I'm not being a grump about this because it is so common on many other boards. In fact, some of these windbag posts are amusing. Mostly I was attempting to keep Darrell from getting too discouraged because this isn't going away.

Years ago I was told that the definition of an expert is "Some SOB from out of town with a briefcase!"

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »

Years ago I was told that the definition of an expert is "Some SOB from out of town with a briefcase!"

I used to get paid to be one!!!!!  Roll Eyes

i suppose there may be a few of you not surprised at that (Ace, Cody, Gumpy).  Cheesy

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Blacksheep

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 06:16:45 PM »

No surprise here Tom!                        Roll Eyes

Ace
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 09:03:39 PM »

And the award for being the absolute master of "B R E V I T Y " goes to VAN.  Oscar sent by sepcor.

A blank page with a "period" in the middle as a post.  priceless!

thanks for that,

John

—Pla
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: