Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 11:26:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glad I picked a bus  (Read 1030 times)
van

« on: August 22, 2008, 09:08:26 AM »

I know that there have been alot of bus wrecks reported lately in the media and alot more that go unreported ,some pretty serious .In trying to decide what I wanted for my family to be comfitable to travel in for long distances,I have to admit that the issue of being in an accident never crossed my mind.we had owned a manufactured rv for a couple of years and put alot of miles on it.The biggest issue we had with it was the poor handeling we encountered in high winds,it made for a very frustrating trip every time we set out on a new journey(which seemed to always be the case living out west in high wind corider).My wife loves to drive as much as I do, but after almost getting blown of the road in wyoming she swore to never get behind the wheel of the rv again.

Eventually we sold it ( and good riddens),well at the time the rv traveling thing was over and swore to never purchase another one ever again,untill recently I started getting the traveling jones once more and had the need for some thing to tour the country with my new grandson with.I had met alot of nice folk In my travels driving big truck most in rvs,till the day I met acouple in a converted bus ,MCI I believe it was and it always stuck in the back of my mind how cool it was .This thing was incedible ,well last june I decided to start looking into the possibility of maybe buying one thinking that this could be doable.Well to make a long story short it wasn't til this recent rash of reported wrecks that I realized how much stronger bus's were constructed,that in the event of a wreck we stood a much better chance of survival .

thank god were bus nuts

van
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:47:03 AM »

Even without high winds my RV was all over the road. With high winds it was undriveable!!!  The steering has been updated on my 5C and last year I redid the radius rod bushings, now it is like a slot car!!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:33:34 AM »

any body want to try.
 i  still have a 76 dodge cruise air with a 440.
 every time a truck passes you it is all you can do to hold on.
wouldn't trade "Huggy" for a brand new s&s
"huggy" is 58 years old and gets better every day

ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:06:49 PM »

How do I get my Dina to drive like a slot car?  It requires constant tweaks to the wheel or it wanders around a lot.

There is a little bit of play in the wheel, but not much compared to some I have seen.  BK replaced the idler arm bearing in the steering on the driver's side back in Oct 2006.  (This bearing is something BK found as a problem on other Dinas.)  I had the wheels realigned at a place JD over at C&J recommended.  C&J has also looked at the steering a little bit.  Finally, I took the bus to Precision Frame in Elk River, Minnesota that is known nationally for fixing steering problems with RVs and Buses.  They couldn't find anything wrong other than the bearing BK replaced wasn't tight.  The only thing they could think of was maybe the steering box needs replacement.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:09:07 PM »

what's the pressure in the front tires?

Within the manufacturer's weight related tables, let some air out and see what happens.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
ol713

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:01:12 PM »

Hi;
    You are right, even with the recent bus crash in
    NJ, the bus that went under the overpass had
    very few injuries. That is one reason I chose a
    bus.
                       Merle.