Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 06:44:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pex plumbing lines? Size does matter!  (Read 3892 times)
luvrbus

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 02:33:40 PM »

Jack, I am not trying to give you a bad time about the Pex tools people just tell me all the time that you cannot do this with Pex a product that was design to be crimped.Me I would not use sharkbite or any other push on fitting with Pex but that is my way. Pex is good stuff and easy to work with
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 02:46:35 PM by luvrbus » Logged
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »

Jack, I am not trying to give you a bad time about the Pex tools

No problem.  It is kinda a standing joke.  Everytime I see or hear about a new tool, I seem to think I should add it to my tool inventory.  My wife tries to use reason and explain to me that I really do not need every tool that is made.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 07:09:42 PM »

No problem.  It is kinda a standing joke.  Everytime I see or hear about a new tool, I seem to think I should add it to my tool inventory.  My wife tries to use reason and explain to me that I really do not need every tool that is made.  Jack

Jack,
Boy that right there is hard to swallow, & just makes me wonder! Now I ain't never met you and Paula, but I have met alot of people who have. And they all say how great ya'll are, and on and on.
And I do really know Paula is a great person, but now hmmm ya really got me second guessing here. I mean 

"My wife tries to use reason and explain to me that I really do not need every tool that is made."

That is just really hard for a tool junkie like me to take! I think I need to go out and cry with my tools!
I guess it'll be alright after all you guys hve been a great couple all these yrs! And love must have something to do with it, but I feel deeply for ya! Cause busnuts needs tools & LOTS OF 'EM! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 07:58:21 PM »

Jack, Next time try , Cause your haircut only cost ______ dollars and the tool makes you feel better about yourself Cheesy

Luvrbus,  i like the crimp, but i knew i would be taking stuff a part again and again as i fix different things so iI used the push fittings on the bus,  my last house had the crimp fittings( but i had somebody do it because i wanted it done quicker than me doing it and old galvanized was being replaced in a crammped, extreemely dusty crawlspace).  Plus i didn't need may fittings for the bus so it was cheaper than tool. 

All these tools and fiittings seems like a good article for BC MAG  with pic otools bing used and fittings etc

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2008, 01:24:49 PM »

This relates to PEX, so I figured I'd post it here and bring the thread back to the top.  I just watched an "Ask This Old House" segment on PBS where Richard Trethewey went to Raleigh NC to work with a plumber who makes a living replacing polybutylene pipe in houses.  That is all this company does.  Richard briefly explained the history of Polybutelene's origination as the great plumbing solution of the 1970's.  Here we are, 30 years later replacing all this cracking and leaking poly pipe and replacing it while class actions lawyers sue for millions and consumers get a $5 coupon on their next purchase or something or other the bankrupt manufacturer now makes. 

The segment had Richard and the plumbing contractor show some closeup views of the cracking pipe and the leaking fittings.  It is mostly the crimps that failed allowing leakage at tees and ells.  The crimps look alot like the copper and stainless crimps we see today on PEX fittings.   What will keep a repeat of this in 30 years in all these homes?   I do like the fact that PEX is mainly done with home runs and fittings are minimal and isolated at the manifold and the fixture.  If the pipe lasts for 50+ years then replacing fittings will be much easier if that is the weakest point in the system. 

The house profiled in the segment had fittings in the ceiling, walls, and crawl space.  They had so much of the sheetrock removed.  It must have been a huge expense.   The system was repaced with all CPVC, not PEX.  I guess just the choice of the local plumber, or perhaps he doesn't trust PEX.  No explanation was given, though I know Richard Trethewey loves to use PEX. 

Just a thought to bring up.

David
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: