Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 09:30:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: If you were to choose between these two options, which would it be?  (Voting closed: September 02, 2008, 11:44:28 PM)
2003 - 2005 VW Jetta TDI 5-spd manual wagon - 12 (63.2%)
2003 - 2005 Honda CRV-4 automatic - 7 (36.8%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towd Options  (Read 986 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:44:28 PM »

Out of curiosity, if you had the option to choose one of the above as a toad, which one would you choose?  It's my understanding that both can be flat-towed without problems, even though the Honda must have the transmission shifted in a specific sequence before you shut off the engine and begin your journey.  The 5-speed manual in the VW doesn't care.

The VW Jetta Wagon gets about 40 - 45 mpg on diesel with it's front-wheel drive powertrain - can fill both coach and toad at the same fuel pump.

The Honda CRV-4 is the full-time four-wheel drive version of this mini-SUV, and gets about 1/2 > 2/3rds the mileage of the VW, but also has an automatic.

I don't really have a preference, just curious to see what the troops think. . .

So please take a minute and vote, I'd appreciate it.  I've also set it up so that you can change your vote if you feel you've made an error, but you can only vote one time.

FWIW. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 02:52:44 AM »

If it helps, last year I saw a Honda CRV swamped by an incoming tide up to it's windscreen, then when the tide went out the owner started the engine first turn of the key. He owner didn't even think to check if there was any water in the intake system before starting the engine, which was the second really stupid thing he did that day.

They are obviously well built however (built in Britain as it happens). That type of mini 4x4 is known as a 'soft roader' here, as it's neither one thing or the other.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:44:17 AM »

I voted for the automatice for one reason.  At my mage, I might forget to shift!   Not really, well on second thought?   Actually, I voted for the automatic, because Paula cannot drive a standard shift.  Since her broken back, many years ago, she has a problem try to depress and eseciially hold down a clutch pedal.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:57:40 AM »

VW  Grin
You get the advantage of common fuels. Also, you have less to remember when hooking up.  Cool
(There may be issues with the honda warranty due to their opinion you didn't follow 'proper proceedure'.  Sad )

Not to mention the superior styling of the VW.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »

Quote from: kyle4501
Not to mention the superior styling of the VW.  Grin

This from a guy who thinks the 4501 was the greatest bus ever built! LOL!
OH yeah I voted for the VW! after all they are German just like a SETRA the best bus ever built! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 05:31:12 PM »

Yeah, BK, time will prove your folly.  Roll Eyes

After 54 years, the 4501 is still the best bus ever  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »

Which one is more likely capable of transporting a flat tire to the shop?

probably neither...

never mind.

The VW wagon maybe has a little more room inside than the Honda for dragging the treasures around in?

vote being held for further consideration.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: