Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 07:57:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For All of You Wanting Slide Out Ideas!  (Read 3302 times)
Dreamscape

« on: August 25, 2008, 02:32:46 AM »

Check this out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Buses__RV-BUS-DOUBLE-TRIPLE-DECKER_W0QQitemZ170254804884QQadnZBusesQQadiZ2802QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170254804884&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

This is one strange looking design. Sure would hate to have to park that thing!

I like the stairs though!  Grin

Paul
cody

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:35:32 AM »

wow, 60K generator?
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:42:21 AM »

wonder who originally commissioned the build?  they surely would not have started this project with the idea of selling it on ebay without any prior sales history, or engineering background info.  for all i know, this thing is made from Eagle eggs that may not take salt well.

cody, you got to have something to make sure the slides go out and elevator goes up  Wink

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 06:07:16 AM »

I'd imagine that he doesn't expect to sell it on ebay, but is using ebay to list it in such a way to get maximum exposure & gauge interest in it.

I wonder what it weighs? Length? height? . . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:15:02 AM »

cody, you got to have something to make sure the slides go out and elevator goes up  Wink

And to power all those 8 air conditioners.

Overall, I find it interesting to look at and from the photos, it looks like they did neat professional work on it.  But I wouldn't want to own it even if I could afford it.  For one thing, with so much of the sides being taken up with slideouts, I have to wonder about its structural capacity to handle all the weight and dynamic loads over the long term.

Another minor thing that bothers me is the emphasis on "triple decker" and "The third floor converts to an observation deck for your viewing pleasure."  Ahem, from the photos, it appears the third floor is only a roof top observation deck.  Which is only natural since a more substantial third floor wouldn't be legal nor would it be able to go under most overpasses.

Like I said, an interesting piece of work.  I wish them luck on finding a buyer, just wouldn't be me even if I hit the lottery.  Grin
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:28:45 AM »

Well never met the guy, but have talked to him through email & 1 phone call once! He bought 3 or 5 of the Neoplans from the FL Space center in a pkg deal. Then he sold some of them on ebay & other places to "fund" his special project! Now I understand what the special project was!
Vevey intrwesting, but not on a NEO!  Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
m-werx

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:30:15 AM »

I think you will find Mr Walker is involved with this?
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »

Right off the bat, I am pretty sure that bus is 60' long.  The longest RV that can be titled is 45'.  IIRC, those space center coaches were over on another dimension also (width or height).  Interesting to look at but not for me at any price.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »

Quote from: m-werx

Why because it's still in primer? Because it ain't finished? Because it is odd? Just what makes ya think Mr. Sam Walker is or would be involved in it? Just curious. Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »

Why because it's still in primer? Because it ain't finished? Because it is odd? Just what makes ya think Mr. Sam Walker is or would be involved in it? Just curious. Grin  BK  Grin

>

http://www.walkercustomer.com/Next_Level_Coachs.htm
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:40:29 AM by Ednj » Logged

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »

Wow, someone sure has some money sunk into that beast.  I think Jack is right, its a loser from the start.  Some interesting ideas though, nice back fold out porch.  The rest gives me a headache to think about...

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 01:40:34 PM »

OK m-werx & Ednj I understand now! Geeze why can't they just lock this guy up and throw away the key?

www.kylakesidetravel.net

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »

Oops, looks like I was mistaken, it is a 48" coach. To the best of my knowledge it still cannot be titled in any state (overlength by 3')  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »

Can the Allison 3000 series handle the torque from a 515HP Series 60?  I thought you needed a 4000 series Allison to handle that much torque.

My bus has a S60 with B500 which I think is the same as a 4000 Series.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »

Geez - I wonder who Sam took to the cleaners this time? what a POS this is!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 10:56:51 AM »

Do you think it can float too?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Dreamscape

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 11:07:18 AM »

Kinda looks like a Transformer to me! Roll Eyes
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 12:13:22 PM »

Thanks for the comedy.

Sent it to the fellows at work, they'll be wanting me to buy it, or re-fashion the MC8 to come close...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Blacksheep

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 02:12:37 PM »

Crook or not, I will give him or SOMEONE credit! They keep coming up with some pretty neat ideas, not that THIS bus itself is my cup of tea but going and looking over other pics of other work, whoever did it, you can plainly see some nice craftsmanship! Again, I'm not here to judge this or any other guy for the past but pictures can show some good quality stuff!
AND... if you think about it, look how many times this guy or WHOEVER it is, has been shut down, locked up, criticized, belittled, hounded, & hammered on, etc. and he STILL produces, with WHOEVER's money it is, more than a lot of you talkers out here! I know I know! Sounds like I'm coming down on YOU guys but I'm not! Merely stating that he, or WHOEVER it is, has, and still, produces more than JUST talk!
Admit it! You know it's right! There are a LOT of guys out here on THIS and other boards that continue to talk talk talk, a good game only to rarely, if ever, be heard from again! AND there are those that ask ask & ask, only to answer you back with "THE RIGHT ANSWER"! Heck if you already knew the answer, why ask it? GET ER' DONE! Quit wasting time!
Sam or WHOEVER it is ain't asking squatt but he or his namesake is sure turning out at least something, if nothing more than a bunch of bogus pictures on some bogus web sites for YOU and ME to drool over!  Roll Eyes 
Maybe he has used people and their money and maybe not! That's not up to me to decide and I'm not siding one way or the other on pure here say! One thing I WILL say is, whoever it is, has the right idea when it comes to conversions! GET IT DONE and ENJOY IT NOW! Why wait until your to old and crippled to NOT do anything with it but have a yard knome? Some of you guys have way too many excuses as to why this or why that! I said "SOME" not all!
Now sit back and think it over! There are those that ARE doing something and showing their progress with pictures. Then, there are those that only SAY they are doing something! (no proof) Then there are those that have done it all and left like a ghost when asked about what it was exactly they have done!
I don't know about you guys but... I'm the get er' done and use it NOW type of guy! Heck, I may not be here tomorrow!   Shocked

Ace
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 05:45:06 PM »

Ace I agree he does produce pictures! But what about all the crippled up folks who paid him real $ to produce a MOTORCOACH and got scammed out of their hard earned $? Now I am not the one to JUDGE either! That has already been done by 12 + 1 (jury & Judge) and he's been found guilty! (not once but many times!)

That's my only beef with the man! Why not build a good reputation that brings REPEAT business instead of LAWSUITS!

To put so you see it from the side I'm talking about. "What if your father had PAID him a $100,000.00 down payment to build him a coach and 5 yrs later had nothing to show for it?" Would you be defending him then? Or would you be a defendant on trial yourself for "getting even?"

Nuff said I don't have any reason to judge or not to judge, I just can't stand what he's been convicted of multiple times! NO MATTER HOW NICE HIS WEBSITE OR PICTURES ARE! Show me some old couple receiving the coach they commissioned him to build, and I'll gladly give him the benefit of the doubt! But my granddaddy and dad have always told me your actions speak louder than words! (and in my opinion on Sam that means pics too!) JMHOFWIW! BK

(oh yeah by the way yes I realize in your opinion I should not be a member or these boards because my buses are not conversions! As you said in your own words many moons ago before the new board was built! "these boards are for those who have converted their own, or are converting a bus, or at least own a converted bus!")

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Blacksheep

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »

BK first off let's set the record straight! I never defended what has happened in the past! What's done is history in my opinion!
Now as to how I would feel if my dad forked over 100,000 to have a conversion done? Well to be honest, he wouldn't because he obviously would have let me do it for him for far less!
Now speaking about those poor old people you say got taken for a ride? It was part their fault too! Who in their right mind would keep handing money over without some progress! There are fools born every day! I have seen you yourself tell people to make sure you have a mechanic look over a bus before they buy it! Same goes for having a conversion done by someone you don't know! After the money changes hands its a lost cause EITHER WAY!
Yes your exactly right about quoting my words of years ago. This site is or was anyway for the hobby of converting buses! Yes everyone is welcome obviously but to be frank, other than mechanical and maybe breakdown procedures, what can a charter company such as yours offer to the hobby of bus converting? Don't get me wrong! I truly enjoy reading about your personal experiences on the road. In fact we all have our own stories to tell and yours are no different I'm sure!
Some people like to get greasy doing mechabical work, upgrading power plants, changing transmissions etc.! Sorry, that's not me! Back in the day when work vans became custom conversions for play, I was hired by a local Dodge dealer exclusively to do just that! Biggest "factory" item we changed was the wheels! Never the motor or trans! They were converted from work to play just like the buses we convert today! They were used for work and now converted for play! No different just bigger! I guess that is where my roots for being a true conversionalist comes from. Maybe that's why I did my bus the way its done!
 Back then if they would have had internet and BB'S you probably would have seen van conversion bb's but I doubt seriously you would find a work van bb!
Do they actually have a BB for charter buses! Educate me because I never had a need to look one up!
Back to Sam, yes he probably has some questionable business/work ethics but don't we all in some way or another? His may be just larger than ours! Again, I'm not the one to judge what he has done in the past! I can only give an opinion on what is portrayed before me now and that opinion is, the pictures they have up show neat ideas and as good a quality as any I have seen AND they ARE producing pictures! You know, that thing everyone on HERE wants to see! Wink
Ace
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 01:14:19 AM »

I also immediately recognised that spaceship as being the Neoplan from the Walker website - clearly it is totally unique and has had an immense amount of work done to it. If I had the money I would buy it tomorrow, just to be able to own something with such ambition and reach. The practical limitations would be such that I would still want my existing bus as well though.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Dreamscape

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 04:11:35 AM »

Ace and Busted Knuckle......You guys should kiss and make up........Whew........ Grin

Sam Walker has been talked about so much on this board it could almost fill a book.

I know nothing about him or his dealings, only what I have read, so I won't say anything related to that.

All I did was post an interesting link of a Bus Conversion that is unique in my opinion. I would have to see it in person to make an obective opinion on the work done. I think the idea is amazing though. A lot of thought and design went into it for sure. When finished it will have had a ton of money and time into it. Couldn't afford it even if I was rich! Roll Eyes

Back to Bus Conversions, Wink

Paul
Blacksheep

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 05:18:33 AM »

Paul it seems there are a couple others that feel the way I do in that it doesn't matter who did this conversion or what his past is about, its pretty cool to look at and see the different stages during the conversion.
This isn't a court of law and nobody here should judge someone else for what they read or hear! That happens too much as it is! I say unless you have first hand experience with being "taken" than your judgement is a moot point!
Yea I'll give whoever it is some credit for doing what it is and from what I see for now is a lot more than some that only talk about doing it! There's a lot of those on here too but...
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
There's no argument and if some don't like the opinions of others, hey that's life!
I didn't reply to ruffle feathers of those that obviously have a different opinion. I merely stated how "I" feel regarding the progress of a unique bus that was taken out of service and turned into a hobby toy REGARDLESS of who is doing it!
Ace
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 06:02:07 AM »

RE all the thought that went into it, I wonder how they are gonna deal with the over length issue? Currently 45' is max (single vehicle) allowed.

There are some good ideas there too, I like the rear deck. That'd be nice at the beach.  Grin
I'm usually not much on slides, but I would like to see the floor plan & storage areas.

I've seen some coaches that look awesome in pictures only to fall apart in person.  Sad
I've also seen some that would blow you away in person, but don't look like much in pictures.  Grin

Past performance may not guarantee future actions, but, a leopard can't change his spots either.  Wink

It is one thing to not understand what brings others happiness, but something entirely different to condemn or put down others for not taking the same path as you did. Sad

Some like making rash decisions & impulse actions. Others find pleasure in over thinking stuff. Others find enjoyment in collecting old stuff.

I happen to like the melting pot of posters on this board. Always good to have things considered from different points of view. I'd also like to see more professional bus drivers posting driving tips. You never know, I just might drive mine one day.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
van

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 06:12:29 AM »

This thing looks like the virus that crashed my computer the other week,don't know if there is a anti virus soft ware that can handle some thing like that though

Van
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 06:24:42 AM »

I hear nothing but bad about Sam Walker on this board I don't know the guy but a friend had him do a 102c MCI for him and he loves the guy his work is fantastic Marathon doesn't turnout the quality of work he does.Airlines take peoples money every day and don't produce a seat nothing is ever done about that, but years ago I forgot what preacher it was but he overbooked some rooms and the Fed sent him to jail  have a great day
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 02:34:35 PM »

Quote from: Dreamscape
Ace and Busted Knuckle......You guys should kiss and make up........Whew........ Grin

Sam Walker has been talked about so much on this board it could almost fill a book.

I know nothing about him or his dealings, only what I have read, so I won't say anything related to that.

All I did was post an interesting link of a Bus Conversion that is unique in my opinion. I would have to see it in person to make an obective opinion on the work done. I think the idea is amazing though. A lot of thought and design went into it for sure. When finished it will have had a ton of money and time into it. Couldn't afford it even if I was rich! Roll Eyes
Back to Bus Conversions, Wink

Paul

I have no personal interest in it, just voicing my opinion.

And by the way I have no personal beef with ACE (or anyone else on the board for that matter!) and still feel he is a well qualified bus converter, judging from his past projects. FWIW!

Also Paul I agree it's a very interesting and unique project! And before actually judging the vehicle itself I'd have to see/inspect it in person Not in pictures! I wasn't saying that the bus was or wasn't poor quality. I was saying I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot poll is Mr. Walker himself is involved! FWIW JMHO! Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »

Wow!  I for one am very impressed, but then again, what do I know.  I think the engineer/builder needs to be commended for the amount of genius and elbow grease that went into the build.  Really!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »

..... it's a guaranteed leaker ......

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 05:44:29 PM »

Long story short?

Had someone over my house who is very involved in the high end sticks and staples repair business.

After looking over my bus and him commenting on how well they are built compared to S&S construction, we started talking about slideouts.

He stated that he has never seen one that didn't leak.  Some a little, some a lot, no matter what type of seal used.

As Niles said "Its a guaranteed leaker"

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 05:56:23 PM »

Maybe leaks on a S&S I have had slides on my Blue Bird and Featherlite installed the 2 HWH on my Eagle and I have been in terrible rain storms lately no leaks any place with no dust or AC lost
Blacksheep

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 06:05:40 PM »

I would think that a S&S would be more prone to leaks than a bus due to them flexing more!

Ace
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 06:29:10 PM »

I think the project looks fantastic even though it seems highly impractical.  It's nice to see what ideas someone can put into form.  However, pictures do not mean that it is really any good.  A movie set can look very convincing in a movie but be nothing more than a facade.  When I once had a job in mechanical design, one of the engineers said that anything that can be drawn can be built.  There were some contractors that took exception to that comment.  I do not know this particular man other than what has been said here, but there are lots of people that are expert at taking advantage of the kindness and trusting nature of others.  If such is his reputation, I would not believe this to be a truly functional machine unless it was carefully inspected.  Even if the work is first rate, I know I would be pretty unhappy to take delivery of it and find that it could not be registered in any state.

From past experience with criminals, I have found that they often go back to doing the same exact things they got busted for in the past.  In some cases, it is because they are just that foolish, but in others it is simply that they make enough money at it to more than cover being popped now and then.  Some would think that having to pay $250,000 back for every million they make is a reasonable business expense.  This is not uncommon in business.  I'm sure people have read of giant scams where the culprit collected tens of millions but was fined a couple of hundred thousand.

As far as who this board services, since I did not see any rules posted, I would guess that it is anyone that wants to be here.  BK, like Luke (who used to post sometimes), may not be into the actual conversion process.  However, there knowledge is essential to it.  What good is a gloriously converted bus that does not run?  This things are mechanically beyond the original skills of all but a few people.  Any advice on getting them going and keeping them going safely and affordably is more important to me than how to polish its wheels.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
wvanative

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 07:24:17 PM »

I think it one of the uglyest buses Ive ever seen. Also you would think the new company would want to distance themselves from the Walker name, but there it is, and I thought the judge told him he could not be in the bus conversion business or sales after the trial.

WVaNative

Dean Hamilton Villa Grove, IL East Central IL. Near Champaign
Still Dreaming and planning
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: