Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 02:23:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buses and NC Vehicle Safety Inspection  (Read 5992 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 07:40:35 PM »

Yeah I can do that let me check around and see who everyone recommends and I'll pass that and a couple of others in also ! BK Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 10:38:55 AM »

OK all peoples that own bus conversions and live in NC.  After much difficulty I've found that our buses do indeed need NC safety inspections.  The inspection must be done by an inspection station that is "Heavy" certified.  The bus must be inside the facility when said inspection takes place, and there is definitely a brake exam module.   
Rapidly leaking air systems will knock your inspection out,.  Other failures: horns, brakes, park brake, lighting, wipers, tires, suspension components, steering, muffler, glass, ad infinitum.   There is no emission test on any diesel in North Carolina. 
I have a link that will show who's certified to do a bus inspection in a chosen county.  http://apps.dot.state.nc.us/dmv/emissions/piedmontRegion.aspx
Here's the whole North Carolina map      http://apps.dot.state.nc.us/dmv/emissions/
The link is to NCDMV.  I am in the Peidmont Region, and you'll notice that there is only ONE inspection station in Union County!  Only 4 I believe in all of the GREAT STATE OF MECKLENBURG.   If the link doesn't work, just search for NCDMV.   
I do not understand why the state doesn't pickup the title/inspection relationship on RVs.  Motorcycles also don't get letters in the mail to remind one that their state inspection has expired.
But they don't.  If a car inspection goes out, you'll get a letter indicating such quickly.   I've had my bus titled for 5 years now and never had it inspected.  I may do it one of these days. 
If an automotive inspection station inspects an air brake equipped unit, that wouldn't fit into their inspection area (inside), and for which they are not certified, they are assuming a good bit of liability if something happens that's safety related and causes a wreck.   It wouldn't have to be their fault... Some inspection stations don't know the difference...and some state employees don't either.   One told me I could take it anywhere that inspected cars,  but I found that such is not the case at all.   Only heavy truck inspection stations can inspect our coaches. 
One thing is for certain, the inspection is no longer a money making project for anyone...unless you repair the vehicles that fail the inspection.    Only OBDII gasoline powered vehicles (96 and up) are emissions tested.   
Enjoy, JR

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:40:32 AM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
NCbob

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 11:49:06 AM »

JR, you need to be commended for doing a yeoman's job of ferreting out the information for those of us who live in NC.

The surprising part of what the State Map offers is the virtual absence of shops qualified to do bus inspections.  In all of what is considered Western NC there are so few I could count them on both hands.  The closest on is Hendersonville and it's a paint and Body shop!

The information you posted doesn't tell us if there's any difference in the color of the sticker considered Heavy Duty.  Do you have that info?  I didn't see it on the State site and it might be of value if we are stopped by the DMV for some minor infraction.

I'll keep searching and post any findings I might come across.  Thanks again!

NCbob
NCbob

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 12:27:50 PM »

Perhaps this will help shed some more light on this topic.  Taking JR's point on this I called one the few places licensed by the State of NC to to "Heavy Duty" inspections and they told me that any RV built prior to 1971 does NOT require inspection.  And the shop owner I spoke with could not tell me if there was a different windshied sticker for automobiles and light trucks (currently yellow) and  the Heavy Duty Classification.  Huh

Since I already have mine, although it was done by a shop not considered to be qualified by the Gods in Raleigh, should I be stopped I will point out to the arresting...er.... inquiring Officer that I had it inspected in spite of the fact that it is exempt from Inspection because it was built prior to 1971.  Wink

It just proves what lengths BusNuts will go to just to stay safe and legal.

Anyone wishing to assist with bail money can contact me at my posted Email address.  Grin

NCbob
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 02:01:15 PM »

Sorry, but I have no idea what the "Heavy" stickers look like.  I can find out.  You won't get nailed for whatever sticker you have affixed to your window.  The inspection station is supposed to know the rules...although, anyone that goes through the NC safety inspector's training course will not be exposed to the "heavy" concept. 
The only problem with the wrong sticker may occur if the inspector "gave" an owner a sticker so the owner could sticker their own coach...this is patently illegal, but happens regularly in NC.  The shop owner might not realize what the sticker is going on. 
As long as the inspection station affixes the inspection sticker to your bus, you have no exposure.  He does.  He just certified that your coach is in a safe operating condition.   And it may well be. 
Bob, your coach will soon be eligible for a "Horseless Carriage" tag.   Antique you know.  Any vehicle over 35 years old does not require an NC Safety Inspection.  They are exempt.   
I'll let you know what the sticker looks like. 
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 03:43:33 PM »

It's the same way here.  The shop has to be approved for heavy equipment and has to be able to get the rig in his shop.  That makes a total of about...ummm...one place to get a sticker unless you go to Concord and pay the big buck.  You see, they don't just charge a flat fee for a sticker.  They charge by the hour anmd if you get a slow mechanic, that can add up.  The of the guys at the shop was bragging the other day about how they stabbed a guy for 8 hours on an inspection...At $60 per hour.

The way to get around this, of course, is to have a mechanic in your back pocket.  Same thing with airplanes.  Before buying I always make sure I have a mechanic lined up who will sign my logs when I do maintanance and repairs. 
NCbob

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 04:21:33 PM »

Not meaning to be argumentitive, JR, but my bus already qualifies for "Horseless Carriage" tag....it was built in 1968!  I just mentioned that buses built before 1971 were exempt.  Not only am I an antique...so's my bus! Grin

The bus can consume all the diesel fuel I can buy....but she can't handle 1/10 of the Jack I can drink! Roll Eyes

NCbob
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 04:35:53 PM »

Bob,

I was checking on the Florida "Antique or Horseless Carriage" designation and you can't do any vehicle over 5000 lbs unless it is

for parade purposes only,  like a military vehicle. Shocked

Is NC also like that?

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
NCbob

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 05:04:23 PM »

Y'know Cliff...I can't answer that.  Like JR, I've spent more than enough hours at both the DMV and NCDOT web sites and I can't get any useful information out of them.  Just like we can't get any useful information out of Raleigh unless we spend the money to call them ...and then you get the equivilent of the "Potomac Two Step".

I've lived in, let me count them.....4 states and visited many many more for more than a few days.  The beauracracy in Raleigh, NC is about as useful as tits on a Tomcat!  Did I sneak that one through?

Nothing happens in this State...west of Charlotte.  As far as they're concerned we're nothing but a bunch of damned Rednecks who don't know sheep $#!% from apple butter!

There!  Now I've had my Political say...but watch out in November you bunch of Assholes!

[Nick, this the ultimate test of the system]

NCbob
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 05:08:13 PM »

Bob, you got two nasties thru. I bet Phil will be on that like stink on $hit. LOl
Richard

Y'know Cliff...I can't answer that.  Like JR, I've spent more than enough hours at both the DMV and NCDOT web sites and I can't get any useful information out of them.  Just like we can't get any useful information out of Raleigh unless we spend the money to call them ...and then you get the equivilent of the "Potomac Two Step".

I've lived in, let me count them.....4 states and visited many many more for more than a few days.  The beauracracy in Raleigh, NC is about as useful as tits on a Tomcat!  Did I sneak that one through?

Nothing happens in this State...west of Charlotte.  As far as they're concerned we're nothing but a bunch of damned Rednecks who don't know sheep $#!% from apple butter!

There!  Now I've had my Political say...but watch out in November you bunch of Assholes!

[Nick, this the ultimate test of the system]

NCbob

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
NCbob

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 05:09:35 PM »

Nick, Phil, Richard and our respected group of Moderators....please feel free to delete my moment of capriciousness in the last post if you wish.

I honestly didn't believe that sort of language would be allowed to go through.  I was expecting and hoping for the tradional
MOOOOOOOOO's. I won't push it again!

NCbob
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 07:19:32 PM »

The only restriction to registering antique in NH is that the vehicle has to be in show condition.  No restriction on miles or where and when you can drive it.  When we register, we pay the town and the state.  The state fees for the bus are based on registered weight.  When you register antique, that fee goes to a flat $25.  The town fees stay the same.  It would save me about $100 in state fees, but I'd have to drive an hour to get it done.  For regular plates I just go to the town office.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 07:22:36 PM »

The only restriction to registering antique in NH is that the vehicle has to be in show condition.  No restriction on miles or where and when you can drive it.  When we register, we pay the town and the state.  The state fees for the bus are based on registered weight.  When you register antique, that fee goes to a flat $25.  The town fees stay the same.  It would save me about $100 in state fees, but I'd have to drive an hour to get it done.  For regular plates I just go to the town office.

Ross I'd think my time was worth the $50 an hr (both ways) just to keep the Gubberment from getting that extra $ 100! But that's just my redneck way! LOL! BK  Roll Eyes Cool Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 07:23:39 PM »

Hi Cliff,
I don't have any idea on the "Bus" horseless carriage...just threw that in.   However, the way the DMV website is written,
the bus would pass muster.  DMV only states "motor vehicles"....it has several glaring errors in the description of safety inspections and  emissions testing.   States that "All" motor vehicles are safety inspected (this ain't so) and that "all" MVs are emissions tested...that ain't even close.  NC has never emission tested diesels, and Jan 1 this year, only OBDIIs gasoline powered MVs are getting emissions testing.   
For sure, Bob doesn't have to be safety or otherwise inspected due to the 35 year rule...which was designed to keep antique and collector cars useable.
Bob, what did you pay for your inspection? Ross scared me with that "Concord" stuff...then I saw that he was in NH. 
I believe the NC inspections are rated by the state...sounds like NH is a little different.   
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 07:28:29 PM »

Ross, after reading your posts, I reckon NC has one obvious advantage...tags for my "Motor Home" are only $28 bucks a year.   Property taxes (the only annual taxes on MVs in NC) are about $40.
Now that's nice! 
Reckon I'll deal with the NCI for the low cost of licensing the bus.   Course, I still buy most of my fuel in South Carolina...the low tax state!
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: