Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 11:41:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you feel comfortable buying a used furnace?  (Read 866 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2008, 11:46:44 PM »

Hey guys,

First off, I know little to nothing of rv type furnaces so that may factor in a bit here. I know of a guy here who strips old rv's and trailers for their good parts and then sells them at a reasonable price.
He has some furnaces but I'm always paranoid of fire hazards.

So here are a few questions:
Would you buy a used furnace?
If so, what would you inspect and watch out for?
Does it matter what brand really if the price is good?
What output should I look for in a 40' coach? ( I really don't plan on much cold weather use for the bus but wanna be covered in case)

Thanks!

By the way, anyone needing any tanks, converters, maybe a smaller inverter, furnaces, maybe some windows etc etc?? I'd be happy to ask and look for you.
He also says that he gets some Onan diesel gensets from time to time in the 5-6.5 kw range (I think he has gas in stock gas), I get first dibs on a diesel.  Contact me offsite (pm) if interested please. I'm planning on meeting with him in the next day or two.

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 12:43:36 AM »

Yes I would. Yes I did buy a used (Suburban) furnace. I took it to an RV appliance repair center and had them check it for operation and leaks. It passed all the tests and I installed it in the living area. It has worked for 2 yrs. with no problems. This summer I bought another used furnace (Suburban) and it passed all the tests so I will install it in the rear of the coach. Busing on a budget....Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 04:48:13 AM »

I put 2 used 19K BTU suburbans in my bus.  Both work great.  Using 2 allows you to have a little bit of zoneing and redundancy in case one fails!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:27:47 AM »

I have a new surban in mine, but i dont trust any of the gas equipment in the bus, however i never have had a problem with any of them, guess im a little parinoid since my deisel gen set caught fire in wendover nevada yrs ago and i nearly lost the whole rig, i was lucky and got it under control and got on my way again without the gen set . fire on the road is my worst nightmare. i do a lot more checking now before ever leaving home.
Frank Allen 4106
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:12:56 PM »

I have a furnace, 2 rooftop airs, convection oven and furnace out of a two year old wrecked RV in my coach, I had a 10 gal water heater also, but it would not fit....  HTH JIM

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: