Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 06:55:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back from Trip  (Read 848 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:00:35 AM »

Just returned last night from my 1,300 mile 12 night trip from L.A. to Mammoth, Carson City, Virginia City, South Lake Tahoe, Placerville, Sacramento, San Francisco, Templeton.  The bus ran great-cruised at 1800rpm which is 58mph.  With the gen running much of the time for A/C, I averaged 5mpg.  If I take out the 84 hrs of gen time, and 42 gal of fuel the gen burned, my fuel mileage would be right at 6mpg-which isn't that bad considering the 8400ft elevation at Mammoth, the 5000ft elevation in Carson City, and the 6,600ft elevation in Lake Tahoe.  I used the misters 5 times, and had to pull over 3 times to let the engine cool-but only for about 5 minutes then was able to proceed.  All three times it was over 100 degrees. Used only the front and rear A/C going down the road-maintained 72 degrees inside.  Then used the middle A/C for when parked.  Stayed in RV parks only twice- the campground in Zepher Cove Lake Tahoe is primo.  Placerville KOA is nice too.  Had a great time, wish I was still out there.  Sean and Louise have the right idea.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:03:38 AM »

Had a great time, wish I was still out there.  Sean and Louise have the right idea.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom, My sentiments exactly!  I'm glad you had a great and uneventful trip!  It sure is nice to be able to get out and enjoy these monsters we spend so much time and money on.  When is the next trip?
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »

Hi Tom,

Glad you had a great trip!

It only would take some serious thought to get your self on the road full time.. It could be done.

Looking forward to your next trip's details!
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
van

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:49:27 PM »

Tom so nice to hear about your travel,Lake tahoe is a really cool place to visit made about 25 trips up there from vegas last year (north shore) always loved the approach from mt rose by bike (love switch backs)glad you had a safe trip,any pictures?
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:11:17 AM »

Tom,

Always enjoy your post, glad your trip went well.  Wish all of us could use ours more often.  Thanks for sharing!

Steve 5B........

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 08:03:50 AM »

Probably will go out again in October-maybe to Morro Bay for a quicky weekend.  What we do is to take our clothes in the car to work, then pack the bus on Wed, spend the night in the bus in the parking lot, then leave Thurs morning.  This gives Friday, Saturday, and Sunday as full days at the location, then return on Monday.  We don't do leaving on Friday and returning on Sunday-the traffic is just impossible.
Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 06:27:59 PM »

Thanks for the post, Tom.  I read these eagerly, to see if my bus performance compares, or to see what to expect would be a more accurate statement.  Also, the info re. campgrounds, stopover places is valuable. 

Dennis 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: