Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 24, 2014, 04:46:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3500 mile trip goes well  (Read 1758 times)
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 spicer

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:36:23 PM »

So we returned this past weekend from a 3500 mile trip from Minnesota, through Canada on the Trans Canada highway, down through Vermont, to Rhode Island, New York City. Spent four days at Newport Beach and four days just up the Hudson from NYC. Then we jumped on I-80 through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and back to Mpls/St Paul region.

We spent about $1,800.00 on fuel, $268.00 on campgrounds and $1,500.00 on groceries and restaurants. Fifteen nights on the road.

Compare to driving a mini-van and hotels and restaurants for every meal; we figure we got by cheap driving the MC-5 which averaged 7.5mpg pulling a '99 Mustang convertible on the dolly.

When we told people about our planned trip they all said "oh the fuel bill is going to kill you". But I think they didn't know "the rest of the story" that bus nuts know so well.

Just thought you might be interested in some real life data.

Fred

Fred Thomson
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:01:12 AM »

Those numbers sound good.
How many day, weeks months was this trip?

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 06:09:50 AM »

$100 a day on food?  Seems steep to me, but I don't know how many people on the trip either.

We tend to mostly eat sandwiches on the road, but we eat pretty good once camped.  We will have a full breakfast, small lunch, and large dinner with steak, chicken, or chops.  We don't cut any corners and still spend only about $10 a day each for food.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:16:57 AM »

Fifteen nights on the road.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:20:51 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:23:47 AM »

Fifteen nights on the road.

Guess I read faster than my mind can keep up Shocked

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Fredward

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 03:08:16 PM »

Brian,
We spent a few nights eating in the fancy spots in Rhode Island and NYC. We couldn't bring along any wine from the Gumpy vineyards so we had to pop for a few bottles of the expensive stuff. $100.00 doesn't go far when we're out eating and drinking.........

Next time I'll request a care package from Craig.
Fred

Fred Thomson
Dreamscape

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 03:29:48 AM »

Brian,
We spent a few nights eating in the fancy spots in Rhode Island and NYC. We couldn't bring along any wine from the Gumpy vineyards so we had to pop for a few bottles of the expensive stuff. $100.00 doesn't go far when we're out eating and drinking.........

Fred

You mean he has a "Care Package"? He didn't offer me one when I visited him.  Cry

Paul
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:31:33 AM »

Quote from: Fredward
Brian,

Fred

Quote from: Dreamscape
You mean he has a "Care Package"? He didn't offer me one when I visited him.  Cry

Paul

I'll check on it  for you Paul. And if he does I'll hold it for you until you get up this way!  Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Blacksheep

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »

Make sure you ask the Gump for some "fudge"! I only got 1 piece but it was sooo good! Wink
Ace
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »

Maybe Gumpy will have time to make his great "beer butt chicken"!   With a glass of his wine and some fudge for dessert.  YUM YUM!  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Fredward

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »

I don't know, Craig's been "persona non grata" for awhile. I think he's out in CO or WY.
Fred

Fred Thomson
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 07:29:14 PM »

I don't know, Craig's been "persona non grata" for awhile. I think he's out in CO or WY.
Fred

We're back now. I was just laying low, trying to avoid all the B.S. flying around on this thread  Cheesy

Glad your trip went well. Ours was decent. Had a few unexpected problems (aside from the wine cork incident). Nothing serious,
but I have a punchlist to work on now.

I'm going to try to bottle about 30 gallons of wine this weekend. Maybe I'll have a few extra bottles next time I see you  Roll Eyes

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 08:13:38 PM »

Fred

We're back now. I was just laying low, trying to avoid all the B.S. flying around on this thread  Cheesy

Glad your trip went well. Ours was decent. Had a few unexpected problems (aside from the wine cork incident). Nothing serious,
but I have a punchlist to work on now.

I'm going to try to bottle about 30 gallons of wine this weekend. Maybe I'll have a few extra bottles next time I see you  Roll Eyes

craig

Hmmm "wine bottling busnut party" sounds like an idea to me! It doesn't ALL have to be accounted for in the end does it? LOL! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
van

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 09:08:20 PM »

Glad to see another successful trip acomplished,pictures any? With the way things have turned out with the purchase of our first rig the mrs and my self along with my darling mom have been discussing our first trip possibly this winter back to NYC to visit my oldest daughter for xmass.I recieved a phone call from Don Fairchild today ,things are looking up regarding getting a set of heads back for my 6V92.I can't express enough how exited we are about getting the 15 up and running again,as I have been working dillegently to get her PMCS completed .my daughter has put the heavy on me about not missing my only grandson's(thus far)first birth day,and boy I can't wait .Any way glad your trip went well

VAN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: