Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 05:41:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wrong answer  (Read 2628 times)
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2008, 04:52:53 PM »

hello
i called several insurance co's today and got a wrong answer/
how do you tell the truth about your bus conversion and still
get insurance coverage, i do have 40 ft prevost , its is being
converted and i need liability insurance before i drive it on
the road. talked to national interstate ins co. quote , we could'nt
find anyone who will cover a self conversion. must be an professional
conversion, now tell me how some of you got insurance. i called
the insurance co which carries liability on my van and told them i
have a 40 ft prevost motorhome and need insurance , and bingo here
comes an confermation back by e-mail showing my policy and a
paper showing that i am covered, thanks jt.

j.t. laney  tyler texas 1980 prevost lemirage
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:03:12 PM »

Do NOT say the word bus, or conversion.

motorhome. period.

1975 MCI motorhome, yes she's a darling, well kept and I'm pretty handy with keeping the chassis updated.

Confessionals are for the church, this is insurance we're talking about here!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »

thanks
what happens when we run over a profesional like an lawyer and he
knows that it is not a stick and staples job. will the insurance co not
know the differance.  just asking thanks jt.

luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 05:15:57 PM »

Laney, it going to be different when you try to get full coverage I have used Miller for years and John could always get full coverage on conversion bus he passed away about 6 years but his daughter still does a great job providing insurance for a conversion  

Miller Insurance  
Lake Oswego OR  
1-800-622-6347  
When the time comes for you to have full coverage insurance  
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »

thanks for info
i'll keep the number , may need it sooner than i expected.
i just left allstate behind me and may be for good. i still have
my road service with them. and  this may change soon also.
am i the only one in trouble in this type of matter.  thanks jt.

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 05:56:23 PM »

i'm a big believer in telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but.  i have proof that my agent knew exactly what was said, what i do and how i do it.  We are semi commercial in that we drive and use the bus at RV shows, bluegrass festivals, etc.  We do live in it while on the road, unlike the daycoaches and entertainers.

our agent knows that.  she insured us.  but when we sell (if we sell) the house, we'll be looking for another source.  i had a long talk with AON last year about commercial vehicles vs motorhomes.

if i were you, i'd document my conversation with my agent.  what he/she writes up and sends in or the company approves is up to them.  But i would not mislead my agent.  that will bite you at the wrong time.

imho

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
eaglekelly

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:11:14 PM »

My brother-in-law law recommended GMAC when we got ours and we have very pleased with them. We pay about $450 a year and didn't have to stretch the truth at all. By the way I read in AARP that some insurance company's will reduce your premiums when you retire and no longer drive to work every day so I  called to State Farm and sure enough they reduced mine to about $400 a year.
jlaney
prevost one

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 06:14:31 PM »

thanks
i agree with you and had one agent which came out to our house to
inspect a fence around a swimming pool . to keep unwanted children
out of the pool area. it is almost impossible to keep some children out
of somewhere if the are lefted unatended. back to the subject of insurance. this agent took pictures of my prevost and knows that i
converted it. we also talked about how much safer it would be than
a motorhome which is built by an professional. he gave me an quote
over the phone. but said he will have to look for a broker that will
handle the policy.  any help will be great. j.t.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »

If you run over someone, you got a big problem regardless of insurer...

The chassis will be proven to be competent, it is an intercity motorcoach...

provided you can document that you have kept it in proper working order and done the preventive maintenance...

the driver...well....errr....ummm....

As noted, liability coverage is popularly all a busnut is looking for. For greater coverage, the insurer will be more interested in the details, and we need to be forthcoming, answering their questions.

In some markets, careless words will destroy dreams for no good reason. Those of us who got insurance easily need to be thankful!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 07:49:08 PM »

We have used GMAC for many years.  It started through Good Sam, but we have maintained the policy even though we no longer join Good Sam.  They will readily give liability on a bus conversion.  I do believe that they asked if it was professionally converted.  The PO told me it was, so why should I not assume that it was even though it was done long before the PO got it.  To get full insurance, an professional appraisal was required.  It was a little difficult to get that since local motorhome dealers refused to do it.  Bus conversions seem to anger them.  I got one from a guy that does professional conversions and GMAC was fine with that.

I do not think that it is wise to lie about what you have.  However, I also do not think that it is wrong to give yourself the benefit of the doubt.  As is the case with many things, you need not give more information than is requested either.  If you are in a serious accident in the future, someone is likely to be trying to crucify you no matter what.  If the coach was perfect when you got it, they will say you did not maintain it.  If you can prove it was well maintained, they will say you are incompetent to drive it.  If you can prove you are competent to drive it, they will say you were negligent.  They will follow the logic that, no matter what happened, you could have done things differently somewhere.  Maybe better glasses, better shoes, or better taste in music would have avoided the accident.  I am sorry to say that there is no way of insulating yourself from the possibility of future liability.  Simply being fair and reasonable is the best you can do.  If that's not good enough for you, you may want to reconsider driving 30 - 40 thousands pounds of steel around.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 08:09:16 PM »

Call Progressive and tell them you're converting a bus into a motorhome.  They specialize in RV conversion insurance.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
van

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 09:49:02 PM »

If your bus is currently titled as a motor home than that is what it is,we purchased our policy with progressive($350.00 a year)if it is not titled as a motor home you will have to have that done first by proving to the state you live in that it is self contained ie,a way to cook,toilet,table,bed,gen etc .don't know how it works in your state but this is how it works here in NEV .If you already have this stuff in place telling the insurance companys it's a motor home would not be a false state ment ,then with policy in hand have it inspected by your DMV and have the title changed as such if it is not currently titled as a MH .Laney I hope this helps and every thing works out for ya.

Van
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:52:04 PM by van » Logged
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 06:18:47 AM »

I have my bus insured through Progressive. (also my motorcycle, GTO, and truck) I've been very pleased with them.

All they needed to see was the title of the vehicle and they listed it as a RV because the tile shows it as a motorhome. Just over $200 a year for liability.

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

van

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 06:51:02 AM »

We have always had good luck with prgressive,when I drove out to Illinois to look at the bus my wife established the policy over the phone as we have done a few times in the past,gave the vin #'s and they even faxed the binder out to me in Ill.They never asked us for a copy of the title. We even got road assist included which is were we had our only problem,you get the first 15 mi free towing well the bus died on me and needed to be tow a whoping 500 ft back to the parking spot from where I was blocking a drive way,but had no established accounts with any of the heavy tow companys in vegas that would accept a PO from them.we had to pay out of pocket for the truck to come out and move us,but did get reimbursed from progressive with in one week.I even had to find numbers for them to can initially cause the reps idea of a motor home ,he thought it was a stick& staple rig .However we do find this company to be convieniant and it works for us at the present time

Van
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:09:07 AM »

laney, whats the problem with allstate?? i ask cause i have that on everthing i have including the bus and house, if there is a problem id like to know about it. Before i moved to Texas i had state farm, have never had a claim so i dont really know how they are. im not happy with them at the moment because they they increased my deductable on house from 1% to 2 % for hurricanes. i always have one insurance company cover all my needs and if they dont want to do part of it i drop them, its all or nothing. Bus dont go much anymore because of the fuel and the george Bush econamy, they annouced on the news that we are selling fuel to Mexico and canada, and as you all know it sells in mexico a lot cheaper than here. sure get tired of being lied to
Frank Allen  4106
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: